Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amenity Kits Coming in February

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
But they are practical and hold up pretty well for my longer term use than most of the other run-of-the-mill airline amenity kits I’ve had over the years.
You can buy a similar polyester pouch at the Dollar Tree—it just won’t say Tumi on it.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by BenA
My eco-friendly inner environmentalist is absolutely cringing at the assertion that disposable aluminum packaging is better than plastic. These amenity tubes will 100% be discarded, yet aluminum is one of the most perfectly recyclable materials on planet Earth; Delta is taking very valuable resources out of circulation by this move, and aluminum processing costs a lot more energy than plastic. A paper tetra-pak or pouch would be welcome, but this is pure virtue signaling just so they can say 'zero plastics' and isn't driven by an actual environmental benefit analysis.
Even I, as a non eco-freak that really gets frustrated over the lengths places are going to "save the world" when all they're doing is trying to save money found this move weird. The effort it would take to separate out those little aluminum packages out of a trash stream pretty much guarantees that these aren't likely to get recycled.
jamesteroh and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
This seems like more cost-cutting in the name of “protecting our environment and promoting sustainability.”
Those low wage workers in Mexico certainly don’t command as much top dollar as those high end Tumi zipped kits, which I guarantee last a lot longer than these Mexican handicrafts!
lol are you serious? the tumi amenity kits are cheapo bags that just have tumi applied to them. they're not actual tumi products from their mainline product range. they might be diffusion-label-level stuff like they make for outlet stores, maybe, but the seem even cheaper than that.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by skydelt
I don't see how this remotely eco-friendly when they're just pouring the canned wine into a plastic cup anyways. Just give me plastic bottles of Imagery.
The former 187.5ml plastic splits were served with a plastic cup as well. I've never seen anyone drink wine directly from the bottle. Delta is merely suggesting that an aluminum can and plastic cup is preferable to a plastic split and plastic cup.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by FabCW
You can buy a similar polyester pouch at the Dollar Tree—it just won’t say Tumi on it.
To me, the issue isn't finding the right product to meet a specific need I have, but about being able to use & reuse something I'm getting anyway. We keep & use the amenity bags that are useful (and the tumi with zippers are useful to us) and we either use or donate the toiletries/contents where appropriate. Of course I know I can go out and get any of these things on my own if/when I need them. But I see this differently. It's ok if I'm the only one who sees things this way :-)
dw, gretchendz and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Based on the DL (Premium Select?) amenity kit I received yesterday flying AM Premier MEX-MAD, I am guessing DL has started dumping their excess Tumi inventory ....
This is a sad amenity kit for AM to be offering in business class.
Originally Posted by BenA
I knew AeroMexico was in dire financial straits, but providing amenity kits from another airline's premium economy is next level It's a shame because their previous amenity kits were award-winning and arguably the best part of the whole Clase Premier product.

(Let's be charitable and assume this is a temporary supply chain workaround.)
There's been supply issues. D1 has been getting PS kits for months on some routes.

AM also likely has issue of vendors wanting payment guarantee since in bankruptcy.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
So they are introducing Grown Alchemist lip balm/lotion in the kits; are they going to continue using Le Labo in Sky Clubs and Malin & Goetz in premium cabin plane bathrooms?

Personally I find the designs interesting, and do not mind the change too much. The hard sided Tumi kits were nice, but the latest couple iterations seemed progressively cheaper. I noticed the material of the pouch changed between my D1 flights in 2019/early 2020 and mid 2021, and the ones I received in 2021 seemed of much lower quality. I was oddly excited about these kits when I first started flying business class, but as others have mentioned, I have a shelf of spares at home that are not being used. While a couple come in handy around the house, I do not need a couple dozen, and my friends & family have already received some.

I noticed between 2019 and 2021, they removed the Le Labo lotion (which I actually used) and replaced it with a facial mist spray, which was a lot of plastic that went right in the trash. Glad to see that lotion is back.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the new amenity kits aren't in plastic, are they securely sealed somehow? I'm concerned that they're not tamperproof.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
There are plenty of shelters that welcome the amenity kits. I have collected them over the years and even take some spares if the FA is okay with that, then donate them. I have used a few of the Tumi hard and soft pouches for cords, electric converters, etc. and they come in handy but as someone said, I don't need a dozen of them. Some of the AF and KLM ones have gone to granddaughters for "purses". lol
gretchendz and jamesteroh like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
There are plenty of shelters that welcome the amenity kits. I have collected them over the years and even take some spares if the FA is okay with that, then donate them. I have used a few of the Tumi hard and soft pouches for cords, electric converters, etc. and they come in handy but as someone said, I don't need a dozen of them. Some of the AF and KLM ones have gone to granddaughters for "purses". lol
When a large inventory builds up, I donate them to a shelter for abused women.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the new amenity kits aren't in plastic, are they securely sealed somehow? I'm concerned that they're not tamperproof.
It appears that the "sensitive" items are sealed, though the kit itself is not.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FabCW
Never been to the Dollar Tree. And not even sure I’ve ever seen a Dollar Tree in person. But if Delta wants to provide Dollar Tree “polyester pouches” as the new amenity kit, it’s not like Delta is going to care about my opinion about that. Just like they don’t even care about my opinion about SkyMiles and other things Delta. But none of this is going to shut me up from giving my SkyPesos worth on the matter anyway.

When a large inventory builds up, I donate them to a shelter for abused women.
I unloaded hundreds of airline amenity kits’ products during the 2015 refugee crisis here in Europe. The toothbrushes, toothpaste, socks and even blindfolds got good use.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Sealing them impacts how quickly they can change to maneuver around societal and TSA policy change. Historically, 9/11 saw nail files and mini sewing kit removed from the some airlines' kits. Hairbrush and/or comb, while not safety issue, have been included in the past.

As for current needs, wish they would include KN95 masks.....

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Jan 26, 2022 at 5:07 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
I may have missed this, but are there socks in the new amenity kits?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
The hardsided Tumi amenity cases were the best from years back that included a blank name tag to get stamped at a Tumi store. The Tumi 15% off coupon worked on sale items up until a few years ago until the website glitch was fixed.
gretchendz and hikouki like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.