Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amenity Kits Coming in February

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I think removing all the single use plastic wrappers is good, but I am among those who reuse many of the Tumi bags, so a lack of zipper probably means the entire bag goes to the landfill, which is more trash than whatever "single use" zipper they didn't want to use any more.

​​​​
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I haven't seen the new amenity kits yet. I have been served hot meals with 'real' flatware and glass recently on Delta.

I have never chosen a flight solely on the basis of the amenity kit. Or the beverage selection.

I find it sad that some folks who have already decided that the amenity kits are trash will nevertheless take the kits off the plane and throw them in the trash instead of leaving them on the plane or giving them to a homeless shelter.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
So if they're all about the environment, will all the other stuff they hand out on the other parts of the plane (earphones, amenity kits) also be repackaged into something other than plastic?

At least the Tumi kits were partially reusable. To be honest, I was fine with those.

That said, if the new kits are partially reusable and look good in person, I'm fine with it.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:06 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by chollie
I find it sad that some folks who have already decided that the amenity kits are trash will nevertheless take the kits off the plane and throw them in the trash instead of leaving them on the plane or giving them to a homeless shelter.
The issue is that some people are going to want to use the contents inside (ie eye shades and ear plugs on eastbound transatlantic flights). Once opened, if you leave it on the plane, they will be discarded.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Will these be handed out on ALL D1 flights? Last August I flew LAX-JFK in D1 and there were no kits. When I asked the FA for one she looked at me like I was asking for a pony and seemed to have no idea what I was asking about.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Flatware

I haven't seen the new amenity kits yet. I have been served hot meals with 'real' flatware and glass recently on Delta.

I have never chosen a flight solely on the basis of the amenity kit. Or the beverage selection.

Not sure where those comments are coming from. I flew Delta 1 ATL to FRA in December and we had real glassware and "silverware" on both flights.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I will miss adding to my supply of Tumi kits. Have gotten more use out of the DL Tumi kits than just about all the other airline amenity kits I’ve ever gotten.

Some people used to pick flights in order to try to score Rimowa amenity kits.
dw and hikouki like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I think that the important takeaway here is that FlyerTalkers will complain about literally *everything*. If Delta announced that they were providing each D1 passenger with a genuine 400 troy oz bar of gold, people here would b!tch that it didn't come in a Tumi bag.

I swear, anytime I start to feel proud to be part of the Human race, I just drop by FT for a few minutes and it goes away.
we’re not complaining…simply noting some
hypocritical decision making on Delta’s part. You don’t like it? You don’t have to stay…
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Not sure where those comments are coming from. I flew Delta 1 ATL to FRA in December and we had real glassware and "silverware" on both flights.
Domestic F is still being given plastic cups and the bamboo cutlery comes with the barely edible pre-packaged meal box. Considering that DL operates more flights with domestic F than they do D1, it seems to me that far more waste is being generated from plastic cups and meal boxes than from the D1 amenity kits.
dw, bubbashow, jamesteroh and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:55 pm

So the general consensus seems to be that since they didn't solve *every* problem, they shouldn't solve *any* problem. Got it.

More self-important FT gibberish.

"But.... I am a *high value customer*! I must only drink your (jug) wine (which I will immediately go on FT and complain about) from fine glassware! My delicate lips simply shan't SURVIVE coming into contact with...........PLASTIC!!!"

If you sit back and read these threads objectively, you'd swear that you had walked into some county fair contest over who could come off as the biggest snob.
WillBarrett_68 and F9LASDEN like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TuxTom
Domestic F is still being given plastic cups and the bamboo cutlery comes with the barely edible pre-packaged meal box. Considering that DL operates more flights with domestic F than they do D1, it seems to me that far more waste is being generated from plastic cups and meal boxes than from the D1 amenity kits.
This must vary by route. I have been consistently getting glassware on my domestic flights.

That said, I have never seen a cost analysis of plastic vs. glassware - there is a cost associated with transporting the glassware and washing it in water hot enough to sanitize it before reuse. Probably don't airdry the glasses either - can't be serving the patrons spotted glasses!
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:14 pm

Glad to see the Tumi amenity kits go. There is nothing Luxury about them. Also. I now have 30 of them in a drawer. Lol I am ready for something new! 😋 Change is fun!
gretchendz and dtwlarry like this.

Last edited by FabCW; Jan 26, 2022 at 6:26 am
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:16 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
If you sit back and read these threads objectively, you'd swear that you had walked into some county fair contest over who could come off as the biggest snob.
This isn’t about a charity, it’s about a for profit business and we are consumers who are free to spend our money where we want- and to critique businesses that aren’t living up to our expectations. If the other two of the US 3 have already committed to improving onboard soft product, it’s not unreasonable for loyal DL customers to demand the same. Trust me, DL is never going to give us customers the same reciprocal deference some here when it has come to justifying its recent continued cutbacks.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by dw
This isn’t about a charity, it’s about a for profit business and we are consumers who are free to spend our money where we want- and to critique businesses that aren’t living up to our expectations. If the other two of the US 3 have already committed to improving onboard soft product, it’s not unreasonable for loyal DL customers to demand the same. Trust me, DL is never going to give us customers the same deference some here have when it comes to the company.
Fine - so do something effective about it. Leave. Take your money elsewhere. I totally support the idea of voting with your wallet. Right now, you know what the product is, you purchase it anyway (despite it not meeting your standards) and then complain about it - and not even to Delta - you are complaining to a 3rd party website with no affiliation to Delta. What's that saying about the 'definition of insanity'?

I have been hanging around here for something like 5 or 6 years now, and see the same people making the same empty threats - that THIS time, they're really gonna do it! It's the FINAL STRAW! They're gonna leave - take their business to AA or UA or B6 where they will be appreciated! They are going to write a letter! To Ed! Honestly, after a couple hundred times, it's almost as amusing as Fred Sanford's frequent "heart attacks".

It cracks me up that people are complaining about amenity kits that they used to claim they were too cool to use/take home. Now they "have 30 in a drawer". It cracks me up how many people are clamoring for meals to be brought back - the same meals that those same people used to fill up thread after thread criticizing. Airplane meals didn't become a stereotype by accident. The wine....oh....it's undrinkable swill - but I had better have it in real glass so that I can appreciate fully how terrible it is.

And the whole time, everyone trying to one-up each other with how "above it all" they are.

This time, as someone above pointed out, everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over something that hasn't even happened yet. Nobody has seen or touched or used one of the new amenity kits, but they are BAD. They are a cost cutting measure. They are a downgrade. They are a devaluation. It goes on and on.

Someone commented on my post to say that they aren't complaining. Apparently I have completely misunderstood the meaning of that word for my entire life.

Hilarity ensues, my friend - hilarity ensues.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FabCW
Glad to see the Tumi amenity kits go—there is nothing Luxury about them. Also. I now have 30 of them in a drawer. Lol I am ready for something new! 😋 Change is fun!
But they are practical and hold up pretty well for my longer term use than most of the other run-of-the-mill airline amenity kits I’ve had over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.