FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2065070-what-do-miles-when-someone-dies-definitive-thread.html)

soitgoes Jan 8, 2009 8:09 pm

interesting quote from DL...I didn't know miles were issued in fractions? Only 'whole number amounts'?

18sas Jan 8, 2009 8:45 pm

i think it's referring to the division of miles among multiple heirs. so, they won't allow you to divide 60,001 by having 30,000.5 going into two different accounts. you have to decide who gets the extra mile.

soitgoes Jan 8, 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas (Post 11039694)
i think it's referring to the division of miles among multiple heirs. so, they won't allow you to divide 60,001 by having 30,000.5 going into two different accounts. you have to decide who gets the extra mile.

That actually makes sense! :)

csgoalie Jan 8, 2009 10:15 pm

when you die, notify Delta, and they will provide you with a special link to an award search calendar for dead people. It offers non-stop service from PUR (Purgatory) to several locations. Best part about it is that the search calendar works!

indufan Jan 8, 2009 10:45 pm

Honestly, I am kind of surprised that some airline hasn't tried to just say that they go away when you die.

ninimiller Jan 8, 2009 10:54 pm

PURgatory?? You must mean ATL...

PURgatory is just another name for ATL...the standing joke for anyone from the South is that when they die, no matter what, they will be routed through ATL on DL...my Dad got the last laugh on me, passing away on Holy Thursday in MIA, so that my husband and I got to spend $4K (no award seats avail, natch) flying SEA-ATL-MIA on Good Friday...and of course, being Easter, it was Spring Break to boot...

luvsbucks Jan 8, 2009 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by toddthecow (Post 11039081)
I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything. What happens with skymiles after the account holder dies?

While other people make light of a very sensitive issue, i'll go ahead and provide you information pertaining to your question.

If the account balance is <50k and the member was a spouse:
Customers must send the following documents to the SkyMiles Service Center:

Letter requesting the mileage transfer which includes:
Deceased member’s name, address, and SkyMiles account number.
Surviving spouse’s name, address, and SkyMiles account number.

Copy of the Death Certificate
Death Certificate must include/list surviving spouse’s name.
A photocopy is acceptable; a certified copy is not required as the document will not be returned.

If the account balance is >50k and/or the member was NOT a spouse

Follow directions on the affidavit

http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/affidavit.pdf

ecaarch Jan 9, 2009 9:49 am

luvsbucks has it correct. When my partner passed away, he had specifically listed his SkyMiles account in his will (if he was alive today he'd def be a FTer :D ) so the transfer was pretty painless. I had to produce a copy of the will and return an affidavit.

mbln74a Apr 4, 2009 8:16 am

How do I book online for another person out of my account? I have UA miles & it is easy to set up another profile, but I haven't figured out how to do this on Delta.

Thanks for your help.

AndyTLe Apr 4, 2009 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mbln74a (Post 11527089)
How do I book online for another person out of my account? I have UA miles & it is easy to set up another profile, but I haven't figured out how to do this on Delta.

Thanks for your help.

You should be able to log-in your account and fill in the the name of the person during the reservation process. Or you can begin the reservation and then log-in.

thepla Apr 4, 2009 10:48 am

I did not read all the items in this thread only the last page.

On NW miles are lost if you pass away. On AA the miles can be transferred to another person, etc. Since this is the case I always used NW miles for awards (where possible).

According to this thread DL has rules similar to AA and miles can be transferred upon death.

Is this true?

Thanks

purpleplume Apr 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Does transfer to Medallion's widow qualify for 2:1 promo?

Hi, I'm a newbie here, posting for my girlfriend who was widowed in January. Her husband was a Medallion (I don't know what level) and had an undetermined number of Delta miles in his account when he died. She does not know his PIN. She is the sole beneficiary and the executor of his estate.

I found the affidavit for her to complete here:
http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/affidavit.pdf

I told her that Delta is running a promo until 5/31/09 that provides matching miles credit for each mile transferred from one member's account to another.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/buy_tr..._lto/index.jsp

My question is, can she request they honor this 2-for-1 promo when transferring his miles to her account?

The promo says it applies to transfers made on delta.com. If that's strictly interpreted, it seems they could deny her the matching miles unless the transfer was made by her logging into his account. Should she instead attempt to obtain his PIN in some other manner and do the transfer online? Any suggestions warmly welcome and greatly appreciated.

kirkpd Apr 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Mileage from Deceased brother

My brother passed away in March after a long battle with alcohol. I know that you can transfer points if you are the executor and first were going to go this route. We will actually have a state appointed executor handling his estate as his medical bill outweigh his estate. ( he has about 72,000 miles ) Im pretty sure that they would not want to handle taking care of " skymiles" for us.
Would you just use out of his account? I do know passwords.
To transfer the miles, even with the double miles promo is about $ 810.00 for 72,000 miles - doubling to 144,000
I know he would want these used, but do not know best way to go about.
Any advise would be appreciated.

AndyTLe Apr 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kirkpd (Post 11660907)
My brother passed away in March after a long battle with alcohol. I know that you can transfer points if you are the executor and first were going to go this route. We will actually have a state appointed executor handling his estate as his medical bill outweigh his estate. ( he has about 72,000 miles ) Im pretty sure that they would not want to handle taking care of " skymiles" for us.
Would you just use out of his account? I do know passwords.
To transfer the miles, even with the double miles promo is about $ 810.00 for 72,000 miles - doubling to 144,000
I know he would want these used, but do not know best way to go about.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Sorry for your loss. What you can do instead of transfer is directly redeem the miels from his account. Instead of transferring and paying all that money.

AndyTLe Apr 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by purpleplume (Post 11583765)
My question is, can she request they honor this 2-for-1 promo when transferring his miles to her account?

The promo says it applies to transfers made on delta.com. If that's strictly interpreted, it seems they could deny her the matching miles unless the transfer was made by her logging into his account. Should she instead attempt to obtain his PIN in some other manner and do the transfer online? Any suggestions warmly welcome and greatly appreciated.

It is doubtful, but she can always ask. I've never been a fan of paying for miles. As there is a transfer fee, that means you'll be paying. Also, the promotion shows that there is a limit of 30,000 miles that can be transferred. Most Medallions have much more than that. I would say just take whatever miles he had and put them in her account.