Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New VP of Network Planning from JetBlue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

"Delta Air Lines will welcome Scott M. Laurence as Vice President – Network Planning beginning Jan. 18. Reporting directly to Joe Esposito, Senior Vice President – Network Planning, Scott will work to further strengthen Delta's global network and joint venture partnerships while positioning the airline for continued success and long-term growth opportunities."

https://news.delta.com/delta-welcome...twork-planning
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:16 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
So a new VP of Network Planning who reports to a Senior VP of Network Planning who has been at Delta for 26 years, I'm sure there will be dramatic changes a coming.
ffI and N830MH like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hopefully there will be some specialization or division of responsibility so that the new VP isn't just an assistant to the SVP. Or does the SVP have several VPs, perhaps with each being responsible for a region or other clearly defined area?

ADDED: the linked notice from DL suggests that there will be some defined responsibilities using the skills/experience of the new hire. However, it doesn't seem to clearly state what his title was at JetBlue. Does anyone know?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hopefully there will be some specialization or division of responsibility so that the new VP isn't just an assistant to the SVP. Or does the SVP have several VPs, perhaps with each being responsible for a region or other clearly defined area?

ADDED: the linked notice from DL suggests that there will be some defined responsibilities using the skills/experience of the new hire. However, it doesn't seem to clearly state what his title was at JetBlue. Does anyone know?
He was Head of Revenue and Network Planning at B6.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:01 pm

VP reporting to a VP, could be the senior VP needs to offload some work or succession planning.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
To the new VP of Network Planning: More routes from DAY and restore the CVG hub please!
ryandc99, navi_jen and ND76 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
VP reporting to a VP, could be the senior VP needs to offload some work or succession planning.
I'm assuming the latter. The new hire had the equivalent job at Jetblue as the SVP at Delta that he'll be reporting to. Imagine they'll give him time to learn/work a much more complicated airline (and the new hire was at United before JetBlue so shouldn't be a total surprise) and if he does well he would be the clear successor. (Again, just an educated guess based on my experience with succession planning...I don't have any inside information on Delta.)
sethMCOflyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
So a new VP of Network Planning who reports to a Senior VP of Network Planning who has been at Delta for 26 years, I'm sure there will be dramatic changes a coming.
So my point is, so what?. Do we think some VP coming in under a 26 year veteran of Delta is going to make some significant change to how 'Network Planning' operates? Is there something so great about JetBlue that we think Delta can't copy without this guy?

I just don't even know why we think this is worthy of discussion on Flyertalk more than any gate agent or flight attendant they hire?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

So my point is, so what?. Do we think some VP coming in under a 26 year veteran of Delta is going to make some significant change to how 'Network Planning' operates? Is there something so great about JetBlue that we think Delta can't copy without this guy?

I just don't even know why we think this is worthy of discussion on Flyertalk more than any gate agent or flight attendant they hire?
Does Delta put out a press release when they hire a new gate agent? It sounds like this guy is very well regarded and was the architect behind the new Northeast Alliance which has resulted in major changes to the B6 network.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Does Delta put out a press release when they hire a new gate agent? It sounds like this guy is very well regarded and was the architect behind the new Northeast Alliance which has resulted in major changes to the B6 network.
The same Northeast Alliance that Delta would love to see the DOJ block? We're talking about the guy who knows that alliance better than anyone else, right?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
It sounds like this guy is very well regarded and was the architect behind the new Northeast Alliance which has resulted in major changes to the B6 network.
Good point, imagine if they applied a similar approach to a partnership with international airlines, say Air France/KLM and Virgin Atlantic? They could coordinate schedules and share revenues. Sounds quite innovative.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by ekozie
The same Northeast Alliance that Delta would love to see the DOJ block? We're talking about the guy who knows that alliance better than anyone else, right?
For the record, Delta (and United) have never lodged any complaints to the DOT or DOJ about the AA/B6 NEA. It was the smaller airlines like Spirit that objected, hoping to cash-in on any potential NY airport slot divestitures etc.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! That's a very long time! He's very good. He can enjoy work for Delta. He can be so successful.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Listening to the chatter over on the B6 board it sounds like this guy liked to try out a unique point to point routes from non-hubs (like PHL-SJU), would love to see Delta do more of this in their network.
DLASflyer and N830MH like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Welp Mr. Laurence has resigned after a month at the big D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.