Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fist fight between flight attendants and passenger on DL2490 12/29/2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

During boarding a woman got on without a mask. After reaching her seat she was asked to put on her mask.

She argued she was going to eat and cussed out the flight attendant. The flight attendant left and mentioned to another she was going to call a supervisor.

A couple minutes later and a different flight attendant asked
the passenger to put on a mask. Again the arguing and cussing ensued and the flight attendant left.

Maybe a minute later the passenger got up and marched to the front of the plane from row 43 on a 757-300 and confronted the flight attendant.

I was way back in row 41 but could still see fists were flying. At that moment the police pulled up and quickly joined in.

It was all over a minute later as another flight attendant came back to her seat and collected her belongings putting them all in a trash bag. Took the bag to the front and the door was closed.

We ended up taking off only 40 or so minutes late.

Was a first for me.

The police arriving
enviroian, becks1 and FabCW like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kdonnel
During boarding a woman got on without a mask. After reaching her seat she was asked to put on her mask.

She argued she was going to eat and cussed out the flight attendant. The flight attendant left and mentioned to another she was going to call a supervisor.

A couple minutes later and a different flight attendant asked
the passenger to put on a mask. Again the arguing and cussing ensued and the flight attendant left.

Maybe a minute later the passenger got up and marched to the front of the plane from row 43 on a 757-300 and confronted the flight attendant.

I was way back in row 41 but could still see fists were flying. At that moment the police pulled up and quickly joined in.

It was all over a minute later as another flight attendant came back to her seat and collected her belongings putting them all in a trash bag. Took the bag to the front and the door was closed.

We ended up taking off only 40 or so minutes late.

Was a first for me.

The police arriving
For anyone who doesn't have DL's schedule or flight numbers memorized, DL 2490 is ATL-MCO. It's indeed a 757-300 today.

However, according to the DL app, it departed from gate A24 at 8:01 pm, only 6 minutes late and is due into MCO gate 81 at 9:33 pm today, 5 minutes late.

This seems to contradict the OP's statement that the flight left about 40 minutes late. Could the date or flight number be wrong?

Checking the DL app again, I see that YESTERDAY's DL 2490, On Tuesday December 28,2021, had it's departure from ATL (gate A15) delayed 53 minutes to 8:48 pm while it's arrival into MCO (gate 85) was delayed by 39 minutes.

ADDED: I don't see the date in the OP I quoted, but the thread tittle currently is as follows:

"Fist fight between flight attendants and passenger on DL 2490 12/29/2021"
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Was definitely today. About to land now.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... the passenger ... marched to the front of the plane ... and confronted the flight attendant.
I'd give anything to be able to know the exact thoughts of someone who believes they're going to be the first person in the history of aviation to win in this situation 😕
Old Dec 29, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'd give anything to be able to know the exact thoughts of someone who believes they're going to be the first person in the history of aviation to win in this situation 😕
Yes, what in the world are people thinking nowadays?
Don't fly if you can't follow the rules.
I'm so glad Federal prosecutors are now aggressively going after these idiots.
hnewman, CO-PLAT, boss315 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Her marching to the front saved our flight. Had she not we would have all had to deplane so they could remove her.

Talked to the flight attendant who was in the jump seat facing our row.

There was an off duty flight attendant, pilot, and another employee flying on the flight. They all jumped up to prevent her from getting back on the plane once she decided to confront the flight attendant and gate agent.

It was all over so quickly.

Sorry to get the delay time wrong. Was so excited I miscalculated the time while posting from my phone. In the end I think we landed about when we were supposed to have landed.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 9:03 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
They have never faced any consequences for their actions before or they are mentally ill would be my top two guesses.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
You really did a disservice to all of us by not mentioning this was a flight to MCO from the get-go. Fortunately, by Florida senses were tingling, so I guessed.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
GOOD! Another one who will surely be heavily fined and banned for life on DL and hopefully every other airline in the US.
awayIgo and boss315 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:16 am

There was an off duty flight attendant, pilot, and another employee flying on the flight. They all jumped up to prevent her from getting back on the plane once she decided to confront the flight attendant and gate agent.

It was all over so quickly.
Getting back on? I thought she never left the plane and whose fists were fighting?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:28 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond

… Sorry to get the delay time wrong. Was so excited I miscalculated the time while posting from my phone. In the end I think we landed about when we were supposed to have landed.
Yes, pretty difficult to get away with that on FT. 😀
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: AS 75K
I hate masks, hate the rules, hate the virus, hate the world these days (I am vaxed and boostered fwiw) but when I step on a plane I sit down, follow the rules, fully comply and feel so sorry for the FAs and others.... and help/support them at every chance. What is wrong with people??? Do they really expect a different outcome than what they encounter? Talk about denial!
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
If this happened, multiple times, on every flight, every day, the politically-driven health theatre of the past two years would be over with.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:27 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Platinum
Woman & fists. Hmmn, care to give any additional descriptive details about this person?
Dovster likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Getting back on? I thought she never left the plane and whose fists were fighting?
The fight all happened right at the door as she had marched from row 43 to the front.

She apparently exited the plane after fighting the flight attendant to also confront the gate agent who had come down the jetway. Once she left the plane the employees did not allow her to return to the plane.

The flight attendants were comparing footage back by us during final decent. They said everyone in first class got video and has shared it with them. Perhaps some will show up online at some point.
wrp96, FabCW and DC9 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.