Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MXP check-in

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:20 am
Original Poster

MXP check-in

In normal times I'd arrive at MXP about two hours before the flight. Should I give it more time now? Noon flight to US, D1 and no checked luggage.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by richarddd
In normal times I'd arrive at MXP about two hours before the flight. Should I give it more time now? Noon flight to US, D1 and no checked luggage.
Not unless you like sitting at airports. 2 hrs is plenty, was just here two weeks ago.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
No. MXP hasnt changed in years you wont need anymore time even with the current Covid world. But I wont fly DL crap anymore out of MXP with the EK flight running everyday to JFK (and back on the A380 too).
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Left there two days ago. Lots of walking, but 2 hours is plenty. Just watch the train strikes.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Essentially no wait for security and passport control. As noted, long walks.

Get to gate at announced boarding time. Agent announces plane is there and clean. 35 minutes later he announces boarding is delayed because the plane was late.

​​​​​​Flight attendant taking meal orders appears to be going in a random path.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Essentially no wait for security and passport control. As noted, long walks.

Get to gate at announced boarding time. Agent announces plane is there and clean. 35 minutes later he announces boarding is delayed because the plane was late.

​​​​​​Flight attendant taking meal orders appears to be going in a random path.
A lot of pursers 1st verify pre-order meals. (Some people change mind) They then normally either go front to back down left and back to front on right side OR do some random process usually stopping at DM/360/MM first.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Agree with others. Do pay attention to the train strikes. 2 hours at MXP itself is plenty.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Speaking of trains, I much prefer Cadorna to Centrale for the MXP Express. It has a dedicated entrance at ground level. It also has a tap and pay turnstile which I'll have to try next time. If you buy a ticket in advance you have to ask the attendant to open a gate.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
How's deboarding procedure @ MXP on european flights? Do you deboard into the departure area or do you have to go out and clear security again? Asking b/c I need to get back on the same plane for a MR with 40min ground time...
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LH600
How's deboarding procedure @ MXP on european flights? Do you deboard into the departure area or do you have to go out and clear security again? Asking b/c I need to get back on the same plane for a MR with 40min ground time...
No security. As long as you mean Schengen for Europe.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:06 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Speaking of trains, I much prefer Cadorna to Centrale for the MXP Express. It has a dedicated entrance at ground level. It also has a tap and pay turnstile which I'll have to try next time. If you buy a ticket in advance you have to ask the attendant to open a gate.
There were no trains from MXP to Centrale for a long, long time. Thats a new development in the last 6-7 years. Living in Milan in the early 2000s it was only Cadorna Nord. If youre going to central Milan its just as easy, especially with the smaller station which makes getting out and on the metro/in a car much easier.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Another advantage to Cadorna is that it's scheduled at 37 minutes to MXP T1 rather than 51 minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: DL PM
I normally take the 06:00-06:30 AF/KLM flights out of MXP but security has been light with COVID. I normally just stay at the Sheraton Malpensa the night before my flights so I don’t need to worry about the trains.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:24 pm

Anybody been through here recently with all the staffing shortages in here & in europe? Our train would arrive 2 hours prior to departure next month. traveling delta one, I would assume there is a priority delta check-in counter, does D1 also get fast trak/priority security lines as well?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by devans999
Anybody been through here recently with all the staffing shortages in here & in europe? Our train would arrive 2 hours prior to departure next month. traveling delta one, I would assume there is a priority delta check-in counter, does D1 also get fast trak/priority security lines as well?
Trains can also strike, as there is a national taxi strike in Italy July 5th and 6th. Also depends if you also have to wait on the Global Blue VAT refund line, as the € is approaching parity with the USD. Long walk in MXP, that I now fly out of LIN instead despite an extra connection. All Italians believe they entitled to the ViaMilano FastTrack security line.

I haven’t heard anything in the news about the Italian airports MXP/FCO having issues such as AMS, CDG, and LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.