Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mayhem
I flew CDG-JFK yesterday and security was an absolute nightmare, 1hr wait at the skypriority lane, people getting rowdy since some pax started cutting lines, the only staff were 2-3 "line assigners" with no police to back them up, all of that in a hall that was too small for the number of people there. Similarly on arrival CDG has been seeing insane 1hr waits at immigration for non-EU pax around 8-11am.
Would not at all recommend transferring through CDG... AMS is slightly better set up for the transfers.
I avoid transferring through CDG at all costs. AMS can be a pain, but it is a better experience.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I was in the AMS non schengen lounge after 5pm and all food and drinks were still available. A few shops looked closed at the airport. but it was fine really.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I avoid transferring through CDG at all costs. AMS can be a pain, but it is a better experience.
i was supposed to transit via AMS in 10 days on the way back to LA. had some questions regarding the known cases in AMS two days ago. called the diamond line, and s supervisor picked up the phone. she immediately told me to avoid AMS due to those omicron cases and go through CDG instead. i figured i got 4 hours in CDG that would be plenty of time for me.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Airside @AMS: For both essential and non-essentiel shops after security an exception applies: they may keep their regular opening hours. It's business as usual.

Did fly MSP-AMS and connected @AMS a couple of days ago, lines at non-Schengen-Schengen & vv were around 15 pax long at around 07h00.
Our A339neo had plenty of open seats up front. 13 open seats at DoD. At the gate 5 pax cleared into D1. DL0160 left with 8 open D1 seats and 8FA's. IIRC the purser told me Delta would add another FA next month.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
really? What’s been happening in schiphol? I had no issues and I thought they’ve been more efficient than others. My transfer in CDG was a different story. I missed my connection a couple of weeks ago due to the crazy wait times at security and immigration.
For a long time this summer and fall -> Arrivals from the US (incl. transit pax) had to be tested before boarding a flight to/through AMS, even if fully vaccinated. That was not the case for CDG.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by warakorn
For a long time this summer and fall -> Arrivals from the US (incl. transit pax) had to be tested before boarding a flight to/through AMS, even if fully vaccinated. That was not the case for CDG.
That's not quite correct, final destination that is what mattered. This summer and fall transit pax in AMS didn't need a test if their final destination didn't required it.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by flyerCO
See you onboard!
Actually, I'm flying out on February 27 to March 6, 2022.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Similarly on arrival CDG has been seeing insane 1hr waits at immigration for non-EU pax around 8-11am
For what its worth I arrived at CDG Thanksgiving morning 9 am from MIA on AA. There were 2 people in line.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:53 am

Back in September I flew from NYC to Berlin with a layover in AMS. At that time the Netherlands had recently announced their renewed travel restrictions (negative test, vaccination, and quarantine all required) which effectively made entering the country impossible or impractical for leisure travel. For the JFK->AMS leg, I flew in Delta Comfort+ and that section was nearly empty, I would say something like 20% full, if even that. I strongly suspect that it had to do with the Netherlands' strict entry requirements and this is probably what you are also experiencing now.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:49 pm
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
For what its worth I arrived at CDG Thanksgiving morning 9 am from MIA on AA. There were 2 people in line.
lucky you! I arrived almost a week before that at around noon or so from MIA on AF and there were about 100,000 people in line! I guess there was a strike though.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
I flew CDG-JFK yesterday and security was an absolute nightmare, 1hr wait at the skypriority lane, people getting rowdy since some pax started cutting lines, the only staff were 2-3 "line assigners" with no police to back them up, all of that in a hall that was too small for the number of people there. Similarly on arrival CDG has been seeing insane 1hr waits at immigration for non-EU pax around 8-11am.
Would not at all recommend transferring through CDG... AMS is slightly better set up for the transfers.
I'm flying JFK - CDG - DXB later this week. Will these long queues at CDG impact me at all if I remain in the transit area? I have no plans to actually "enter" France, just connect there.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by myeurocrush
lucky you! I arrived almost a week before that at around noon or so from MIA on AF and there were about 100,000 people in line! I guess there was a strike though.
When I flew CDG-LHR Saturday last weekend there was a queue of 100+ just to get into the terminal where two guys checked to see if you had a boarding pass. Total joke.

On a related side note I'm not sure if the brie was bad when airport planners designed this airport. There are parking/holding/standing spaces for cars to pull in at the terminal like you are in a parking lot. Total chaos as cars were trying to get around. This was terminal 2A.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
When I flew CDG-LHR Saturday last weekend there was a queue of 100+ just to get into the terminal where two guys checked to see if you had a boarding pass. Total joke.

On a related side note I'm not sure if the brie was bad when airport planners designed this airport. There are parking/holding/standing spaces for cars to pull in at the terminal like you are in a parking lot. Total chaos as cars were trying to get around. This was terminal 2A.
Flown to lots of airports with similar setup.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
i was supposed to transit via AMS in 10 days on the way back to LA. had some questions regarding the known cases in AMS two days ago. called the diamond line, and s supervisor picked up the phone. she immediately told me to avoid AMS due to those omicron cases and go through CDG instead. i figured i got 4 hours in CDG that would be plenty of time for me.
Amazed that anyone would think that the same situation will be there in 10 days! First of all, France has an explosive surge of the Delta variant right now! There is so much Delta going on, France may simply be not recognizing the smattering of Omnicron cases right now. But it is already there!
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Amazed that anyone would think that the same situation will be there in 10 days! First of all, France has an explosive surge of the Delta variant right now! There is so much Delta going on, France may simply be not recognizing the smattering of Omnicron cases right now. But it is already there!
France and Switzerland borders will not closed. Isn’t closing the borders. Due to Covid. I am very concerned about the trips. I am connecting flight from SLC to Amsterdam and then BSL. Do I have questions?? I had go through passport control and then security checkpoints. Do I have go through security again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.