Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta 31 Landed in Halifax (YHZ) today

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Delta 31 Landed in Halifax (YHZ) today

This is a daily A330- LHR - ATL flight. Taking this flight in about a week and have been watching it. Quite surprised it just landed in Halifax. Anybody know why?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by pfreet
This is a daily A330- LHR - ATL flight. Taking this flight in about a week and have been watching it. Quite surprised it just landed in Halifax. Anybody know why?
If I had to speculate, probably extremely strong headwinds led to a need to refuel.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Even so I'm somwhat surprised that the flight wasn't dispatched with adequate fuel knowing the winds in advance. The A333 has more than enough range to fly that nonstop.
strickerj and Owenc like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by audidudi
Even so I'm somwhat surprised that the flight wasn't dispatched with adequate fuel knowing the winds in advance. The A333 has more than enough range to fly that nonstop.
Ehhhh this time of year, winds can shift fast. Also, depends on if they were weight-restricted or something ahead of time.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Could be medical, I believe that's a common diversion point.
strickerj and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
DL 75 from AMS>ATL, also an A333, didn't need to divert, and its flight time is 30 mins longer, so I think medical could've been the reason here.
Owenc likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Ehhhh this time of year, winds can shift fast. Also, depends on if they were weight-restricted or something ahead of time.
winds don't shift fast. the forecast winds are accurate. most likely a medical
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I wonder if this was part of the chain that resulted in my ATL-LAS flight being downgauged from an A333 to an A332.

(I lost my EC seat into a middle steerage seat. Luckily, I called the same-day Delta number, got connected immediately, and encountered extremely friendly people who scooted me into Delta One.)
mayhem and Owenc like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Also, today's DL 65 FCO>ATL (A333) is diverting to Boston.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta 2.6 MM/FC/PM
Years ago on a flight from London to Atlanta, the flight landed in Halifax because of a medical emergency. The flight resumed soon after the passenger was taken off the plane by medical personnel.
Owenc likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by socalflying
Also, today's DL 65 FCO>ATL (A333) is diverting to Boston.
I'm on this flight. Diversion was announced before boarding. Apparently some issue with flaps that left the plane airworthy but unable to takeoff at max weight, so they had to offload fuel and stop in BOS for repair and fuel.

Plan is to keep everyone on board during the turn and then continue to ATL and complete customs there. New crew and mechanics waiting for us at the gate in BOS.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm on this flight. Diversion was announced before boarding. Apparently some issue with flaps that left the plane airworthy but unable to takeoff at max weight, so they had to offload fuel and stop in BOS for repair and fuel.

Plan is to keep everyone on board during the turn and then continue to ATL and complete customs there. New crew and mechanics waiting for us at the gate in BOS.
Thank you so much for the update! Hope the rest of your flight goes as smoothly as possible.
gooselee likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee

So the TATL crew will continue on board from BOS to ATL as dead headers (since I assume they will be beyond their duty time limits)?

This sounds to me like another somewhat creative solution from DL ops to avoid having to cancel or badly delay a flight, in this case because the plane went MX and it might not have been possible to rebook everyone to arrive in ATL on the same day.

It's very good that they're not making everyone deplane and do immigration and customs at BOS rather than ATL, especially for passengers terminating at ATL.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So the TATL crew will continue on board from BOS to ATL as dead headers (since I assume they will be beyond their duty time limits)?

This sounds to me like another somewhat creative solution from DL ops to avoid having to cancel or badly delay a flight, in this case because the plane went MX and it might not have been possible to rebook everyone to arrive in ATL on the same day.

It's very good that they're not making everyone deplane and do immigration and customs at BOS rather than ATL, especially for passengers terminating at ATL.
Yep, the TATL crew took empty seats back in the cabin for the ride home to ATL.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 6:49 am
mtp

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Could be medical, I believe that's a common diversion point.
Can confirm from a family member on this flight (DL31 27NOV) that it was medical.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.