Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: delta
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The rule isn't "fly and land" in 2021. What counts is the *scheduled* departure time of the segment, in the local time one of the departure airport. So if you have a flight scheduled to depart on NYE (December 31st before midnight) but arrive after midnight and then connect to a second segment, the first segment will credit to 2021, even if it is delayed and departs after midnight.

Note however that MQDs are allocated proportionate to distance regardless of actual fare construction, so the MQDs that you earn can differ from what you might expect. MQMs are based on distance (with the 500 miles minimum for DL flights) and bonuses are a percentage.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: delta
Thanks. It's clear. So I should be good to be Gold.for 2022. 👌🏼
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vsmbmvsmbm
Thanks. It's clear. So I should be good to be Gold.for 2022. 👌🏼
Well, it depends on how much you spent for your ticket. Ticket taxes and fees don't count towards MQD and if your ticket was relatively cheap, your outbound trip may earn less than 382 MQDs. Especially if you are flying on a codeshare partner to Europe as their flights don't qualify for the current Status Accelerator promo MQD bonus.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:34 am

I am in a similar situation here - Less than $250 MQDs left for Platinum (over 100k MQM) and I do not have an Amex Delta card to qualify for a waiver. I was scheduled to depart NYE for Europe which would have put me past the MQD threshold, but those plans have been pushed ... again. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull a mileage run before end of the year. Any other ways to get me past the threshold?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Conflicted on what to do

Should I really do a $250 flight to hit diamond now? Just swapped jobs where I'm no longer traveling at all. Conflicted on what to do. Have a reserve card if that helps the calculation.

I have 142k mqm's77 segments14,746 MQD
Ice tried searching and it seems ice got to make a day flight somewhere to qualify for diamond. Counterpoint if I don't fly I have a ton of rollover miles?

Last edited by bimmerfreak0; Dec 2, 2021 at 8:08 am
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt80
I am in a similar situation here - Less than $250 MQDs left for Platinum (over 100k MQM) and I do not have an Amex Delta card to qualify for a waiver. I was scheduled to depart NYE for Europe which would have put me past the MQD threshold, but those plans have been pushed ... again. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull a mileage run before end of the year. Any other ways to get me past the threshold?
Unless you can find some sort of calculation error (and convince DL) your only other option is to fly. A domestic BE/Main Cabin fare of around $205 roundtrip on non-stops (roughly $166 base fare) will generate 250 MQDs with promo. You can spend less if you book C+, but you will probably not find many C+ fares under $205 roundtrip at this late point in the year. There are $177 roundtrip C+ fares on LAX-LAS still available that will generate roughly 250 MQD. JFK-BUF/BOS also look like they still have C+ fares in that range if you based in NYC.
mkt80 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 2, 2021 at 8:14 am
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:01 am

It is really not smart to post your name and DL FFN on the internet. Now anyone can call and claim to be you.
Hepsaint likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
It is really not smart to post your name and DL FFN on the internet. Now anyone can call and claim to be you.
Yeah I just fixed that. That was dumb of me.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just don’t post your pin number.

I’d have probably done it in the past. You have to decide if the $254 is important enough for you at this moment.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
Should I really do a $250 flight to hit diamond now? Just swapped jobs where I'm no longer traveling at all. Conflicted on what to do. Have a reserve card if that helps the calculation.
With the MQD multiplier you don't even have to do a $250 flight. You really need a flight that has a base fare of $170 (before taxes and fees).
On top of that, all MQMs rollover so you have nothing to lose by getting DM this year. Whether you get DM or not, you'll still have 142K MQMs in rollover.

Are you going to do *any* personal travel next year, domestic or int'l? While I and many others aren't thrilled about the GUC changes overall, for $200 in spend, I'd say the GUCs could still be valuable if you could get to DM and get 4 GUCs as one of your choice benefits. Under the GUC changes, you would then clear immediately into Premium Select and/or clear into an open F seat on a domestic flight (could be valuable if going to Hawaii, for example, though you'd have to book a routing other than ATL/MSP-HNL).

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
If you're calling to do anything, doesn't DL ask you to verify something on the account? Usually an email address or something? (Agreed it's still not a good move to post your name and Skymiles # on an open forum though, and I do see OP has since edited the post to remove it).
Hepsaint likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
With the MQD multiplier you don't even have to do a $250 flight. You really need a flight that has a base fare of $170 (before taxes and fees).
On top of that, all MQMs rollover so you have nothing to lose by getting DM this year. Whether you get DM or not, you'll still have 142K MQMs in rollover.

Are you going to do *any* personal travel next year, domestic or int'l? While I and many others aren't thrilled about the GUC changes overall, for $200 in spend, I'd say the GUCs could still be valuable if you could get to DM and get 4 GUCs as one of your choice benefits. Under the GUC changes, you would then clear immediately into Premium Select and/or clear into an open F seat on a domestic flight (could be valuable if going to Hawaii, for example, though you'd have to book a routing other than ATL/MSP-HNL).

If you're calling to do anything, doesn't DL ask you to verify something on the account? Usually an email address or something? (Agreed it's still not a good move to post your name and Skymiles # on an open forum though, and I do see OP has since edited the post to remove it).
Easy enough to figure email address/phone number out using online search services and full name.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably worth it even if you are only going to do modest travel next year since all MQM rollover into next year and hitting DM won't change rollover amount. RDU-BOS is available from $207 roundtrip in C+ ($166 base) and will generate 290 MQD with promo. Also seeing RDU-DCA for $197 roundtrip in C+ which would also work.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 2, 2021 at 11:04 am
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
I've found in the past that a late year mileage run is just what I need in between the Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays... Even a quick turnaround tends to clear my head especially with the recent "fun bug" adventures these past 18 months... On that note, Im off to HNL this sunday for the Commemorations relating to the 80th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack...Just hope that Oahu county doesn't lockdown again within the next 72 hours
chollie likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Unless you can find some sort of calculation error (and convince DL) your only other option is to fly. A domestic BE/Main Cabin fare of around $205 roundtrip on non-stops (roughly $166 base fare) will generate 250 MQDs with promo. You can spend less if you book C+, but you will probably not find many C+ fares under $205 roundtrip at this late point in the year. There are $177 roundtrip C+ fares on LAX-LAS still available that will generate roughly 250 MQD. JFK-BUF/BOS also look like they still have C+ fares in that range if you based in NYC.
Do Delta Connection flights qualify for the status accelerator?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt80
Do Delta Connection flights qualify for the status accelerator?
Yes. The calculator excludes them from the bonus in it's estimates, but when you fly them they earn the bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.