Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How long after attaining the status can I expect complimentary upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA

Just attained FO status today. Delta app reflects my new status. I have a flight tomorrow with several first class seats available. What are the odds of getting complimentary upgrade for a flight a day after attaining the status?

The question is more of how long does delta systems take to start putting me on complimentary upgrade lists. Not about the odds of having an F seat (I estimate the odds of having an F seat at 90+ percent for this route).

Edit: for clarity.

Last edited by vmk86724; Nov 8, 2021 at 9:42 pm
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as always, it depends how many DM/PM/GM who haven’t already been upgraded are on the flight, as well as how many might SDC to the flight
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:41 pm

At this point if it happens it will happen at the gate. If you are checked in, look at your itinerary for tomorrow and there should be an upgrade/standby section you can click. Once you click on that section it will show where you are on the list.
vmk86724 and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by vmk86724
Just attained FO status today. Delta app reflects my new status. I have a flight tomorrow with several first class seats available. What are the odds of getting complimentary upgrade for a flight a day after attaining the status?
Odds of clearing are influenced by, besides the number of open seats, the popularity of the route, i.e. number of people ahead of you (FOs with higher fare classes and tiebreakers and GM+) and people with paid F tickets on other flights who might SDC onto your flight. The length of time that you have held a particular status is immaterial.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Try clicking on F seat in seat map. There may be upgrade space, it just hasn't run the automation since you were upgraded to elite status. If it is it'll offer the upgrade for $0.
vmk86724 and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb

The question is more of how long does delta systems take to start putting me on complimentary upgrade lists. Not about the odds of having an F seat (I estimate the odds of having an F seat at 90+ percent for this route).

DL won't put you on the upgrade list unless you go into your reservation and click the box to be added to the upgrade list.
As soon as your status shows, you can do that. And you'll be upgraded according to the hierarchy.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Even if not upgraded you can still elbow your way towards the front of the boarding line as an FO
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
First, never expect anything from DL, especially upgrades.

Second, there is no waiting period. Benefits begin the day after your status posts. You will need to be added to the upgrade list or go into your itinerary and make sure the request upgrades co C+ and First are selected. If you're on the UG list, you'll be able to access the list in the DL App once you're checked in for a flight. It will show you the list, how many C+ and F seats are available and how many empty seats on the plan. It may surprise you how quickly seats fill up as you get closer to departure.

What route are you certain will have a 90% chance of F seats available?
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry

Please update on this one...the 90% probability of "something" occurring has got me waiting with bated breath... (Grabs the Popcorn)...
DrMilano likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hepsaint
Please update on this one...the 90% probability of "something" occurring has got me waiting with bated breath... (Grabs the Popcorn)...
lol. Trying to decide between, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance!” and “Never tell me the odds!”
Good luck OP. Hope the stars align for you today!
Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback. I woke up to messages from delta this morning, one welcoming me to FO, and the other confirming the upgrade to F.

I didn’t had to add my myself to upgrade list, or do anything else, in the app.

One thing I did though yesterday was to text delta and ask them to add me to the upgrade list. The rep could not see on her end my new status (I shared a screenshot with her the change I see in the app) and she eventually replied that I may have to wait a week for the status to reflect in delta systems, and that it’s not possible for her to manually add me to the upgrade list.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Even if not upgraded you can still elbow your way towards the front of the boarding line as an FO
The Amex delta gold has been helping me board in the MAIN1 group before the FO status. No change there for me with FO (without an upgrade).
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
I woke up to messages from delta this morning, one welcoming me to FO, and the other confirming the upgrade to F.
now that's some luck. seriously dont get used to that unless you fly odd routes at odd times.
KRUXED and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by gitismatty
now that's some luck. seriously dont get used to that unless you fly odd routes at odd times.
agreed. Don’t get used to that. Interested in knowing the routing
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatty
Originally Posted by KRUXED
agreed. Don’t get used to that. Interested in knowing the routing
This is not my first time reaching status, and I was based in major hubs when it happened before (in LA as delta FO, and in Chicago as United PS), traveling on routes with high load factor. I’m aware of how brutal it was getting upgraded then.

This time I’m traveling on a route with low load factor (probably due to pandemic)—between LGA and STL. I traveled on every day of the week except Thursday and Saturday, and I have seen a load factor between 30 and 70 percent on weekdays. So, it’s a goldmine for upgrades even as a mere FO. Friday and Sunday flights are almost full.
KRUXED and hi55us like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.