Search

IFE movies on personal devices?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:05 pm
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
IFE movies on personal devices?

Had a RT a few days ago. IFE on my personal iPad on the outbound (737) had no movie/show offerings, only live TV, so I asked the FA about it and she seemed confused as to why it wasn't working. She asked another FA and stated that IFE movies/shows on personal devices was "no longer offered", or something to the effect.

I checked again on the return flight days later, same result. I was only able to watch seatback IFE, which requires plugging in headphones, which is silly. Am I missing something?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Been gone since the start of Covid. The GoGo-equipped fleet is shrinking so it likely doesn’t make sense for Delta to keep paying licensing fees. The good news is the majority of flights have seatback screens which are now once again receiving new content monthly.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:45 am
formerly wunderpit
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Been gone since the start of Covid. The GoGo-equipped fleet is shrinking so it likely doesn’t make sense for Delta to keep paying licensing fees. The good news is the majority of flights have seatback screens which are now once again receiving new content monthly.
Regardless of the content on the in-seat, I find this incredibly weak. Can't use wireless/bluetooth headphones/AirPods. Welcome to the 2020's, yikes.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Regardless of the content on the in-seat, I find this incredibly weak. Can't use wireless/bluetooth headphones/AirPods. Welcome to the 2020's, yikes.
I agree with your basic arguments.

As a side note, you can get a fairly cheap bluetooth-audio adapter that you plug into the IFE screen and can use you favorite bluetooth headsets. I have used these for several years now and prefer them to having my head cabled to the screen.

Last edited by exwannabe; Oct 26, 2021 at 2:08 pm
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:13 pm

I LOVE that Delta has such good in-seat IFE! That's one of the reasons why they are the primary airline I fly with!

No need to torture myself (and my neck, and my eyes) with staring at small cell phone screens or ipads.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by smartytravel
I LOVE that Delta has such good in-seat IFE! That's one of the reasons why they are the primary airline I fly with!

No need to torture myself (and my neck, and my eyes) with staring at small cell phone screens or ipads.
I agree. That said, Delta's IFE systems are dated. The tiny screens on some 738s are beyond dated and even the newer Panasonic ones lack current technology. The Delta Flight Products tablets are better but still do not include basic things like Bluetooth or USB-C. I'll be interested to see what Delta does over the next decade or so.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I agree. That said, Delta's IFE systems are dated. The tiny screens on some 738s are beyond dated and even the newer Panasonic ones lack current technology. The Delta Flight Products tablets are better but still do not include basic things like Bluetooth or USB-C. I'll be interested to see what Delta does over the next decade or so.
Delta's Seatback IFE is still far better than some competition. Granted UA has begun rolling out IFE on 737MAX flights with bluetooth, it rendered my Airpod useless as it couldn't detect my bluetooth device. Competitor AA finally retired its 767 in COVID 2020, which had pre 20th century IFE with overhead LCD monitors throughout the economy cabin, and had cigarette-lighter style DC power port (which required an adapter) for power access.

Still, DL's elimination of seatback IFE on some of its smaller aircrafts, makes some of its flying painfully long and brings back memories of flying in 20th century.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Oct 26, 2021 at 7:17 pm
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
Still, DL's elimination of seatback IFE on some of its smaller aircrafts, makes some of its flying painfully long and brings back memories of flying in 20th century.
which planes have had IFE removed???
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
None. Regional jets and 717s never had it.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
My bad. In clarification of Device Entertainment vs. Seatback IFE, I accidentally added the word "Seatback" for the smaller aircraft on my post.

I have a few upcoming MSP JFK flights on CRJ900 coming up.....and I wish it was still possible for at least thr Personal Device Entertainment.....

Jiburi
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta PM
I fly mainly C900 and E75 - I've generally heard the gogo chatter but is the ability to watch movies on my ipad on these flights going away? Was still available as of a couple weeks ago...
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by royevans75
I fly mainly C900 and E75 - I've generally heard the gogo chatter but is the ability to watch movies on my ipad on these flights going away? Was still available as of a couple weeks ago...
There's been no actual content (movies) loaded for quite some time.. You'll still see the option to watch movies. However when you click on list, only some DL videos appear. (Ie how to clear immigration and customs at ATL, promo for TSA PreCheck/GE/NEXUS, etc...)
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's been no actual content (movies) loaded for quite some time.. You'll still see the option to watch movies. However when you click on list, only some DL videos appear. (Ie how to clear immigration and customs at ATL, promo for TSA PreCheck/GE/NEXUS, etc...)
UGH thanks. That's a bummer.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
None. Regional jets and 717s never had it.
Apparently the Airbus A319 does not have have them either.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Apparently the Airbus A319 does not have have them either.
Not accurate.
SUPERTRAVEL and FlyerWx like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.