Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reimbursement for hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Reimbursement for hotel

I recently traveled BOS-ORD and the flight was oversold, they were looking for volunteers in exchange for cash, overnight hotel and a confirmed seat the next day. I took this option, got the cash and the confirmed seat, but they were unable to get hotel rooms for myself and about 5 others on that flight that had volunteered. The gate agent and her colleague said that we could arrange our own hotels, file a complaint with Delta with the receipts and we would be reimbursed. And she also noted that on our bookings that this was what we were told.

The following day, I submitted the complaint and the receipts and since then have heard nothing. And every time I try the complaints line (800 455-2720), it simply says there is no one to help, call back later and they hang up.

Has anyone else gone through this and eventually got refunded? Is there any alternative line of approach here? I rarely fly Delta so have no status with them, but I think this is very much a bait and switch behavior.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by aroby
I recently traveled BOS-ORD and the flight was oversold, they were looking for volunteers in exchange for cash, overnight hotel and a confirmed seat the next day. I took this option, got the cash and the confirmed seat, but they were unable to get hotel rooms for myself and about 5 others on that flight that had volunteered. The gate agent and her colleague said that we could arrange our own hotels, file a complaint with Delta with the receipts and we would be reimbursed. And she also noted that on our bookings that this was what we were told.

The following day, I submitted the complaint and the receipts and since then have heard nothing. And every time I try the complaints line (800 455-2720), it simply says there is no one to help, call back later and they hang up.

Has anyone else gone through this and eventually got refunded? Is there any alternative line of approach here? I rarely fly Delta so have no status with them, but I think this is very much a bait and switch behavior.

Thanks
It does take a while to hear back when submitting feedback from DL. Not sure if they're more bogged down than usual but even pre-pandemic, I often went 30+ days before getting a response to any submitted feedback. Hopefully the remark from the GA about "arrange your own hotel and submit for reimbursement because we could not book you one" was annotated somewhere in your ticket/reservation.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I've had success in the past getting a check sent for rental car/hotel/food costs after a Delta-caused delay. How long has it been since you submitted the form? If we are talking months, the next best course of action would probably be a DOT complaint, BBB complaint and/or emailing the executive suite via Not from Moderator: Deleted private email address

Last edited by obscure2k; Oct 16, 2021 at 2:40 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Tho I have no remedy for your phone call, Delta is often very thorough with its follow-up and have no doubt that you will get reimbursed fully. Staffing, sadly is in short supply industry-wide, and it likely won't be returning to normal levels for some time. Sorry, you will likely not hear instant phone agent answer any time soon.

As long as your documentation is complete and clear, you should get the full reimbursement as promised.

Jiburi
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I had an IRROPs situation back in August that a result of several non-weather related issues that forced me to overnight in DTW. There were no hotels available for vouchers...I was able to book a room at the Westin at the DTW airport for just over $300, as there was not much available off-site that was some what close for a early AM flight. The SC agent gave me a $100 e-credit voucher. I submitted my room expense for reimbursement and received nothing else from Delta, the response indicated my record showed I was given the $100 voucher per their policy and was not entitled to any further reimbursement.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Do you have status on DL? I'm not sure if that affected the response time or not, if I just happened to file it on a slow day, or if I was just lucky, but after submitting a complaint online I received a phone call from a DL rep in literally 10 minutes.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:45 am

If you file a complaint using the online form, you will hear back from them, but it will take bit of time. Someone I know who filed a similar complaint in July just heard back two weeks ago. If you just filed it, I would expect to hear back in early/mid December, and given what they told you, I trust they will take care of it...it will just take some time. If you have status, you may hear back sooner, but if you have no status or minimum status, two months seems par for the course these days.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I've had success in the past getting a check sent for rental car/hotel/food costs after a Delta-caused delay. How long has it been since you submitted the form? If we are talking months, the next best course of action would probably be a DOT complaint, BBB complaint and/or emailing the executive suite via [email protected].
I submitted the receipts on Sept 24, so roughly 3 weeks. Good to know that you've been successful in the past.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiburi
Tho I have no remedy for your phone call, Delta is often very thorough with its follow-up and have no doubt that you will get reimbursed fully. Staffing, sadly is in short supply industry-wide, and it likely won't be returning to normal levels for some time. Sorry, you will likely not hear instant phone agent answer any time soon.

As long as your documentation is complete and clear, you should get the full reimbursement as promised.

Jiburi
Hopefully that's the case. As I said, I rarely fly Delta so don't have any real experience with them. Their gate agent was very good, though, and I submitted feedback on her. I have always had prompt access to a person on American, but there I have PPro status.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:34 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I would think that Delta would provide reimbursement for a REASONABLE hotel. If your flight is delayed/canceled forcing an overnight and you go stay at a $300/night hotel when there are plenty of $150/night hotels around the airport why should they reimburse you?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only experience was quite a few years back and involved DL providing me with a voucher for a hotel that was full at ATL. I ended up booking my own room at the ATL Hilton for about $120 since it was very late. I talked to an agent at a Sky Club the next day and they said DL would reimburse and gave me the address for customer care. I mailed receipt and their response was to give me a $200 voucher and claiming they don't reimburse. The CoC only promises a $100 voucher, but maybe OP will have better luck with note -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...f-carriage-dgr

Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
File a complaint with DoT or do a charge back for the Delta flight for the amount you were promised for the hotel? The airline overbooked and did not keep their promise.you to fly you timely, nor did they process your reimbursement

I believe the Delta agent also made the reimbursement excuse up. If she was authorized by Delta for promising hotel reimbursement, she would have to give you something in writing, Notes written on your reservation means nothing.

Since you were also offered cash, why did they not combine the hotel expense with the cash offer? Smells fishy that you had to jump so many hoops. I would have asked to get paid on the spot for the hotel as well.

As always when dealing with a company, let them chase you for your business not the other way!

Last edited by ovacikar; Oct 15, 2021 at 1:59 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ovacikar
File a complaint with DoT or do a charge back for the Delta flight for the amount you were promised for the hotel? The airline overbooked and did not keep their promise.you to fly you timely, nor did they process your reimbursement

I believe the Delta agent also made the reimbursement excuse up. If she was authorized by Delta for promising hotel reimbursement, she would have to give you something in writing, Notes written on your reservation means nothing.

Since you were also offered cash, why did they not combine the hotel expense with the cash offer? Smells fishy that you had to jump so many hoops. I would have asked to get paid on the spot for the hotel as well.

As always when dealing with a company, let them chase you for your business not the other way!
Nothing fishy/unusual. Only issue was that day DL did reserve enough rooms. Since was overnight stay, hotel is standard part of VDB. They much prefer voucher as then they only pay the DL rate.

If OP was flying from EU, they're entitled to cash reimbursement for hotel. Not just a $100 voucher. I've found as a DM as long as it's reasonable they'll pay out. It's when you book a $300 night room they pushback. (Unless you can show that it was the cheapest in area)

as for DTW Westin, they normally only give that to DM/D1/360s.

If you check and they have availability, ask agent to call hotel and ask if they'll take another person. Not all will, but some are happy. (AA now actually requires agent call, they don't reimburse anymore, only pay directly)
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
[...] as for DTW Westin, they normally only give that to DM/D1/360s. [...]
I didn't realize DL (or maybe many/all carriers with elites) made a distinction between elite levels, much less between elites-or-not.

Conceptually, it makes sense, I'm just surprised that carriers (1) care enough to offer better accommodations to top-tier, because it's [probably] not a published benefit of their elite program, and that (2) gate agents actually do this in real life, considering how harried they can be when processing VDBs.

(Maybe I'm being too pessimistic )
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I didn't realize DL (or maybe many/all carriers with elites) made a distinction between elite levels, much less between elites-or-not.

Conceptually, it makes sense, I'm just surprised that carriers (1) care enough to offer better accommodations to top-tier, because it's [probably] not a published benefit of their elite program, and that (2) gate agents actually do this in real life, considering how harried they can be when processing VDBs.

(Maybe I'm being too pessimistic )
It's been claimed on FT that AA and UA give EXPs and 1Ks (plus CK and GS) hotels in IROPs situations where others would not be entitled to a hotel room (or to reimbursement for a reasonable hotel room).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.