Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy vs Two Economy seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Premium Economy vs Two Economy seats

For a domestic trip from DEN to JFK. I can book two economy seats for $250, or 1 Premium Economy seat for $309. Is there any real benefit, besides the earlier boarding, to the premium economy seat that would justify spending more for it?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by Cloudship
For a domestic trip from DEN to JFK. I can book two economy seats for $250, or 1 Premium Economy seat for $309. Is there any real benefit, besides the earlier boarding, to the premium economy seat that would justify spending more for it?
By the name Premium Economy, are you referring to Comfort Plus?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
By the name Premium Economy, are you referring to Comfort Plus?
I seriously doubt that DL offers a genuine PE cabin/fare on such a domestic route. Could the OP be considering a purchase through an OLTA that might have miscoded the true cabin and fare class?
HohoGAP likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no Premium Select (DL's PE product) marketed cabins or fares domestically. However, they do at times run international equipment with PS cabins on domestic routes. When this happens, they sell the PS cabin seats with Comfort+ marketing and fares. JFK-DEN has a 764 in the schedule through October which has a PS cabin. These will be better than regular Comfort+ seats (which are just coach seats with more legroom), however service will still be standard domestic Comfort+. The PS seats are slightly wide than regular coach seats, but not significantly so and you will still have a shared armrest with your neighbor. There'll be better snack selection than coach and free booze, but no meals. You can find information on Premium Select seats on Delta's website -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...remium-economy
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 27, 2021 at 6:27 am
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
There would be extra legroom, but if you're a customer of size, two economy seats is preferable as you gain more overall width and an armrest between the two seats that raises.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Right. This is a 767-400. It has the 6 across section. It is sold as Comfort +, but I wanted to make a distinction because there is also the true Comfort + which is just a Y seat with more legroom. Theoretical this should e the same as the old domestic first on a 767 (4 across), however in fact the seats are a tiny bit narrower.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 764's have a single international config which include both PS and C+ cabins. There is no domestic variant of the 764. When these aircraft are flown on domestic routes, they are selling and marketing the PS seats as C+ seats and fares, while the C+ seats are marketed as preferred seats. This is because there are simply no PS fare filings on domestic routes (they only exist on specific international routes). They are flying international aircraft more widely on domestic routes these days due to the slack in international flying due to Covid. Old domestic F 763's (which are no longer in fleet) were 6 across in F and seats were slightly narrower than PS seats (18.5 vs. 19 inches). However, I don't think that includes the armrests and the old domestic F aircraft had independent armrests for each seat rather than a shared one in the middle like PS -- http://web.archive.org/web/201702080...-300_D_New.php

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 27, 2021 at 8:04 am
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Right. This is a 767-400. It has the 6 across section. It is sold as Comfort +, but I wanted to make a distinction because there is also the true Comfort + which is just a Y seat with more legroom. Theoretical this should e the same as the old domestic first on a 767 (4 across), however in fact the seats are a tiny bit narrower.
Remember that aircraft types can switch. A C+ ticket would only give you the right to a C+ seat, even if you originally purchased a flight where PS was being sold as C+.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that aircraft types can switch. A C+ ticket would only give you the right to a C+ seat, even if you originally purchased a flight where PS was being sold as C+.
October schedule should be firm at this point. Equipment is unlikely to change unless there are IRROPs the day of flight. The flight switches to a 757 with the November schedule which starts November 7th.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 27, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.