Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Missed connection causes unplanned overnight stay at airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum

For the second time in two months I’m spending and unplanned night at a hotel in a Delta hub because of a misconnect.

You call it weather. I call it bad Ops.

I’m not a Delta basher, but I have given up. It’s not you. It’s me.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:02 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Ok Bye felicia

How about it really could be weather?

Am all in favour of a good rant but please make it rational and provide chapter and verse.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCAhome
For the second time in two months I’m spending and unplanned night at a hotel in a Delta hub because of a misconnect.

You call it weather. I call it bad Ops.

I’m not a Delta basher, but I have given up. It’s not you. It’s me.
"Goodbye cruel airline." <Someone had to say it.>
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Ok Bye felicia

How about it really could be weather?

Am all in favour of a good rant but please make it rational and provide chapter and verse.
Here's the rational version now that I'm on the plane with a computer to type.

My flight was DCA-SLC-BZN. I had a 3 (three) hour layover in SLC to get to BZN. Weather comes into DCA. (Like it has for 3 of my last 4 flights these past two months.) Flight bumps by an hour because the incoming is delayed. But, the crew has timed out. So, they delay the flight by 4 hours. I had a generous connection, but not that generous.

It turns out this is a frequent problem because the flight is SLC-DCA-SLC. And, I believe, that turn is the max a crew would be allowed. So, a small delay results in a time out.

I was willing to spend the night in SLC and get to BZN the next morning (for my son's birthday). But, the flights are sold out. So, my only choice was to arrive late night the next day. A wasted weekend, and a missed 21st birthday for my son. So, forgive me for being a bit bitter this evening.

And, I'll note that Ed (BAS/E) was in the DCA SkyClub this evening. His flight to ATL made it out. Congrats Ed!
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Summer on the east coast is storm season
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Sorry to hear about your missed connection and missing your sons birthday.

I live in Pentagon City (I often walk to/from DCA) and this afternoon the rain was awful. From about 3:30 to 4:30pm the rain was severe for about 30 minutes straight, and then off and on before and after that. My balcony flooded (!!!) and my normal view of I-395, the Pentagon, Lincoln Memorial, and Washington Monument was instead only to the edge of the balcony.

Lately DCA just seems to hold all ops during inclement weather.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtwtransport
Sorry to hear about your missed connection and missing your sons birthday.

I live in Pentagon City (I often walk to/from DCA) and this afternoon the rain was awful. From about 3:30 to 4:30pm the rain was severe for about 30 minutes straight, and then off and on before and after that. My balcony flooded (!!!) and my normal view of I-395, the Pentagon, Lincoln Memorial, and Washington Monument was instead only to the edge of the balcony.

Lately DCA just seems to hold all ops during inclement weather.
Agreed!! It feels like DC has become Florida. (Without the beaches....)
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Agreed!! It feels like DC has become Florida. (Without the beaches....)
With capacity constrained at SLC due to new concourse construction I wish DL would have added more MSP flights to all of those national park/mountain west resort area airports that have been hard to get seats on flights to- BZN, JAC, FCA, COS, etc…. MSP (and DTW) certainly seems to always have available underutilized gates these days.

Perhaps would have had more IROPS options for situations like what you unfortunately experienced today (and have bitten me recently).
socalduck and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Did you ask if they could get you out to at least SLC tonight via IAD, or to BZN tomorrow via IAD? Also, I'm confused, because you said you were spending the night at a hotel, but later said you were on a plane. Did you make it to SLC tonight?
TastyPlaneEats and audidudi like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtwtransport
With capacity constrained at SLC due to new concourse construction I wish DL would have added more MSP flights to all of those national park/mountain west resort area airports that have been hard to get seats on flights to- BZN, JAC, FCA, COS, etc…. MSP (and DTW) certainly seems to always have available underutilized gates these days.

Perhaps would have had more IROPS options for situations like what you unfortunately experienced today (and have bitten me recently).
Yes. I know Delta is grappling with all the changes hitting us. But it feels like they're particularly poorly positioned at DCA. Over and over I've been hit with weather, and they've not had the capacity to deal with it.

I'm a leisure flyer. It's my money. And I've already started shifting my buying away from Delta. Not out of spite, but from practicality.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I was willing to spend the night in SLC and get to BZN the next morning (for my son's birthday). But, the flights are sold out. So, my only choice was to arrive late night the next day. A wasted weekend, and a missed 21st birthday for my son. So, forgive me for being a bit bitter this evening.
That's when I declare "flight in vain" and tell them to send me home from DCA. They'll refund the full fare paid (and PMNW still gave me miles for the flights I actually flew).
CO-PLAT and DCAhome like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethb
That's when I declare "flight in vain" and tell them to send me home from DCA. They'll refund the full fare paid (and PMNW still gave me miles for the flights I actually flew).
Tempting. I had considered that. But, I also had my 81-year old mother who was flying DTW-SLC-BZN to be with me for my son's birthday. So far, she's made it to SLC and navigated her 37 minute connection to her second flight. My son's going to pick her up at the airport and get her to the hotel. It looks like I'll be able to join them sometime tomorrow.

I really want to like Delta. But, it's tough tonight. They've left a pretty bitter taste with me.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Were the southwest direct flights out of IAD an option? I was IRROPd a few weeks ago, offered a hotel for the night, and found an alternate flight and routing and then had to drive 3 hours on arrival, but it still solved the problem faster, somewhat.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cakiwi
Were the southwest direct flights out of IAD an option? I was IRROPd a few weeks ago, offered a hotel for the night, and found an alternate flight and routing and then had to drive 3 hours on arrival, but it still solved the problem faster, somewhat.
Interesting suggestion. I live so close to DCA, that I don't typically look to IAD or BWI. I may need to re-think that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.