Wiki Posts
Search

Can't cancel through automated system

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Can't cancel through automated system

Message says that it has to be processed by a Delta employee, then asks for the reason and documentation.

The only thing at all unusual is that I made the booking with an e-credit from a previous cancellation.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Just call, wait times are back down to minimal these days.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta - GM
"The only thing at all unusual is that I made the booking with an e-credit from a previous cancellation."

And that is your issue. For whatever reason, usually if an ecredit is involved the app or online can't handle it has been my experience. Also I did a recent change online and then wanted to do a further change, but couldn't be done online. It seems once you have made a change automatically, it can't be done anymore.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Consider the inability to cancel a reservation online a blessing. Last time I did such a cancellation my cancellation went into a queue to be "worked" by someone. After about 4 days I called Delta Res and had someone cancel it immediately and the future e-credit appeared in my account right away.
For my most recent cancellation, I called and cancelled it. My e-credit posted immediately as well.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Just call, wait times are back down to minimal these days.
Just now: "Please hold. The wait time is currently less than two hours."
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by kochleffel

I’m in hold with Delta and the new system said wait time is 15 minutes.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

The actual hold time for me was 52 minutes. Phone on speaker, doing other things in the meantime.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Consider the inability to cancel a reservation online a blessing. Last time I did such a cancellation my cancellation went into a queue to be "worked" by someone.
This actually works too if you are patient, average time to get 'worked' has been about 10 days for me, but it got worked every time.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
sorta related … I have an award ticket that, when I bring up the PNR in the app and select “Modify Flights”, doesn’t appear to give me any option to cancel entire reservation
Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jrl767
sorta related … I have an award ticket that, when I bring up the PNR in the app and select “Modify Flights”, doesn’t appear to give me any option to cancel entire reservation
In the App, once you are in the trip detail, scroll down to the very bottom of the page, there is a link to "cancel".
Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: DL DM
It happened to me twice before, so I just called and the rep can cancel it and post the e-credit right away, no questions asked.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel
This is encouraging. The last time, they offered to call me back within 8 hours. 2 hours still seem kind of too long for my taste, any downside on just entering the info and processing it online? I have a flight that I need to cancel, and assume they'll get to it in due time?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 4:07 pm

One piece of advice: I had the same issue a few weeks ago, when I wasn't able to 'cancel' an upcoming flight online and instead was prompted to fill out the refund request form. I filled out the form and received a response from Delta support a few weeks later saying the e-credit had been issued. When I checked the e-credit online, however, the value was $0. After calling Delta support (only a 45 minute wait on the Silver medallion line...), they said that I had been marked as a no-show even though I had submitted this refund request 3 days before the flight. They managed to escalate to a manager and gave me a one-time exception and reinstated the full value on the credit. She said I had to call in if this happened ever again.

Anyway, bottom line is: if you get an error when canceling online, CALL. The wait times are atrocious, but at least you'll get it taken care of.
Visconti and gotmilk8 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by Msafiritx
This actually works too if you are patient, average time to get 'worked' has been about 10 days for me, but it got worked every time.
In my most recent case the fare had gone down $173 per person so I needed the cancellation and ecredit immediately so I could rebook it at the lower fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.