Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to arrive at CDG?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Time to arrive at CDG?

We are trying to decide on a flight from CDG to JFK on a Monday in mid-October. We'd fly business on DL or AF. Approximately how much time in advance of a flight should we arrive at CDG? We'd be arriving CDG by train from Brussels.

Choices for the flight are 11:20, 13:20, 14:20 and 15:45.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CDG can have VERY long lines for check in and passport control, even for business class. IME two hours can be scary. I'd plan on three hours if possible.
Fornebufox likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
The 11:20 & 15:45 will have a relatively shorter line.

Between 12:00 to 14:30 is the peak hour for flights to North America and the line can depend heavily on the number of passengers that day.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
The 11:20 & 15:45 will have a relatively shorter line.

Between 12:00 to 14:30 is the peak hour for flights to North America and the line can depend heavily on the number of passengers that day.
When would you arrive for the 11:20 and the 15:45 flights? For that matter, what time would you arrive for the 13:20 or 14:20 flights.

Would we be able to check in online? We would not be checking any luggage.

Last edited by richarddd; Sep 8, 2021 at 2:34 pm
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:57 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
When would you arrive for the 11:20 and the 15:45 flights? For that matter, what time would you arrive for the 13:20 or 14:20 flights.

The USA requires a negative COVID test AND an "attestation form", these (may) need to be checked before a bp can be issued.
When I flew JFK-AMS-ZRH I was able to print both bps at home. For the return, it required a (KLM) agent to print a bp.
[The proceedures in CDG may be different from ZRH, but normally the French are "big" on bureauracy.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:05 am

I would arrive two hours and 30 minutes before scheduled departure. That will give you plenty of time to check in, get through security, passport control, make your way to 2E-K/L/M gates. And probably leave you a little time for hanging out at the Air France salon for some yummy French pastries. 😋
Old Sep 9, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CDG can have VERY long lines for check in and passport control, even for business class. IME two hours can be scary. I'd plan on three hours if possible.
I had read this on FT so I arrived very early for my CDG flight yesterday in Delta One. From the RER B station to check-in to immigration to the train to L to security to the L Sky Club took me maybe an hour tops, and I wasn't jogging. Of course, it was also a Wednesday which is a lighter travel day.

Some of the other terminals have reopened at CDG which may have reduced the crush at 2E though. (NB: The lines for coach looked just as short as the Sky Priority lines).
Old Sep 9, 2021, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
I had read this on FT so I arrived very early for my CDG flight yesterday in Delta One. From the RER B station to check-in to immigration to the train to L to security to the L Sky Club took me maybe an hour tops, and I wasn't jogging. Of course, it was also a Wednesday which is a lighter travel day.

Some of the other terminals have reopened at CDG which may have reduced the crush at 2E though. (NB: The lines for coach looked just as short as the Sky Priority lines).
What time of day was your flight?

I wonder if there's that much of a difference between a Monday and a Wednesday.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
What time of day was your flight?

I wonder if there's that much of a difference between a Monday and a Wednesday.
I was on the 11:05am to ATL. I arrived very early and got to enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the lounge.

Monday and Wednesday I'm sure have a difference but I can't guess at how much.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:55 am
Original Poster

We're also thinking of AF's Brussels train to CDG to JFK, which only gives 1:26 between train arrival from Brussels and the flight, but will rebook on the next available flight if you can't make it to the gate on time.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We're also thinking of AF's Brussels train to CDG to JFK, which only gives 1:26 between train arrival from Brussels and the flight, but will rebook on the next available flight if you can't make it to the gate on time.
Can you check in and check bags on the train? IMO 26 minutes (assuming perfectly on time) from train door to completion of check in the the business class area is very tight and then an hour to get through passport control and to the gate is almost impossible IME. YMMV.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you check in and check bags on the train? IMO 26 minutes (assuming perfectly on time) from train door to completion of check in the the business class area is very tight and then an hour to get through passport control and to the gate is almost impossible IME. YMMV.
You can check in and check bags at the train station.

It's an hour and 26 minutes, not just 26 minutes, but even that seems a tight. It does seem odd that they'd have a connection time that most people miss, but there are many odd things in the world.

One virtue is that they'll book you on the next available AF/DL/KLM flight if you miss your flight.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:52 am

You can check in and check bags at the train station.

It's an hour and 26 minutes, not just 26 minutes, but even that seems a tight. It does seem odd that they'd have a connection time that most people miss, but there are many odd things in the world.

One virtue is that they'll book you on the next available AF/DL/KLM flight if you miss your flight.
I was counting 26 minutes to the check in and bag check cutoff time, or 26 minutes from the train to the *front* of the business class check in mess at CDG. It's a long walk even if you know the way and don't have bags.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold

We flew out Sep 1st, CDG-YUL on the 18:15 flight. We arrived at the airport at 15:30 and the check-in, the passport control have nobody in front of us. Waited 5 mins for security as they only opened 2 X-ray stations. The longest wait for us was the de-taxation as there was only 1 opened counter and there was simply no priority line...

It is usually, between 14:00 to 18:00, there is relatively shorter lines as much less departure at those hours (16:00 - 20:00).
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:01 pm

From CDG, I try to take the nonstop to MSP (DL operated) that departs around 10:30 am. If this doesn't work, I try to connect on DL through DTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.