Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap flight to get statement credit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Cheap flight to get statement credit?

I know others said a $300 giftcard works, but I am worried about AMEX clawback someday or it not working.

So I was thinking of buying the cheapest non-refundable Delta flight I could find to get the $200 credit. I am not finding much that's really cheap through Delta's own site.

The cheapest refundable I could find was $103.40 but I was worried about clawback on that too, even though I would pay it and not get a refund until next statement period.

Any help appreciated. (PM if you like!)
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
An award ticket taxes (5.60) would probably do the trick!
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:28 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Do you or anyone you know need to book a flight? You could always use your credit card to book a flight for a family or friend and then have them reimburse you for the full amount.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:36 am

You can just look for any flight, book and cancel after 24 hours to get the ecredit. That way Amex will never know and you can use the credit for later
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Sorry to piggyback....does this pertain to the Amex Gold $200 credit? (I don't know if they are all handled differently)

I booked a flight for my wife the other day and with the offer for $200 credit + 70k miles it seemed a good time to apply and we did so directly on the DL website as part of the payment process. Got the approval quickly but when I attempted to obtain the card number to buy the ticket with after several minutes there was no luck so I X'd out of the box and used a different credit card. It does say Delta purchase so could literally anything be done on the website?

What is the $300 giftcard trick?

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Fraser
Sorry to piggyback....does this pertain to the Amex Gold $200 credit? (I don't know if they are all handled differently)

I booked a flight for my wife the other day and with the offer for $200 credit + 70k miles it seemed a good time to apply and we did so directly on the DL website as part of the payment process. Got the approval quickly but when I attempted to obtain the card number to buy the ticket with after several minutes there was no luck so I X'd out of the box and used a different credit card. It does say Delta purchase so could literally anything be done on the website?

What is the $300 giftcard trick?

Thanks!
The "Giftcard Trick" was before the days they started these offers to use the AMEX credit on tickets.

Back then, it was almost impossible to spend the AMEX airline credit on DL, The "trick" was that if you paid for a ticket with a mix of DL gift card and AMEX, the AMEX charge showed not as an airline ticket, but as an add-on charge, Thus counted under the $200 credit.

No idea what is true as of today.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The "Giftcard Trick" was before the days they started these offers to use the AMEX credit on tickets.

Back then, it was almost impossible to spend the AMEX airline credit on DL, The "trick" was that if you paid for a ticket with a mix of DL gift card and AMEX, the AMEX charge showed not as an airline ticket, but as an add-on charge, Thus counted under the $200 credit.

No idea what is true as of today.
I believe you're talking about the additional collection monetization method for the (unbranded) Plat//Gold airline fee credit, but I think the previous discussion in the thread is asking about the DL Gold AMEX signup credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.