Wiki Posts
Search

When does DL check COVID-19 documents?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
When does DL check COVID-19 documents?

Hi, folks! Thinking of traveling to GRU for Labor Day weekend and I need to ask: when does DL check if you have a COVID-19 test result or vaccination card?

I just took a PCR test at noon today (realized quite late that Brazil requires a COVID-19 test) and I should get the results within 24 hours at the latest. I will surely get the result tomorrow, before I board the flight to GRU from ATL, but after I ostensibly commence travel at LAX. Should I foresee a problem coming up if I were to book now to leave tomorrow?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
For me it's been at gate but didn't fly to brazil
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
COVID test is checked before you board first flight. You wont be allowed to board without it.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
COVID test is checked before you board first flight. You wont be allowed to board without it.
If my first flight is to ATL, will they check that at check-in or boarding? I would imagine if it's the latter, unless they ask for my boarding pass and they scrutinize my reservation how would they know to ask?

When I flew LAX-JFK-MAD in July I wasn't asked for my COVID-19 vaccination card until JFK, but I do bear in mind that it was technically on two separate tickets.

Last edited by Akiestar; Sep 2, 2021 at 4:42 pm
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, United
I haven't travel to GRU but to other destinations with testing required. They always ask for the COVID test at check-in regardless if you have a local stop. If you don't have checked bags and skip counter check-in they will ask before boarding. This has always been the case for me on DELTA if travel is on the same reservation. Take COVID test as passport/visa requirements.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Akiestar
If my first flight is to ATL, will they check that at check-in or boarding? I would imagine if it's the latter, unless they ask for my boarding pass and they scrutinize my reservation how would they know to ask?

When I flew LAX-JFK-MAD in July I wasn't asked for my COVID-19 vaccination card until JFK, but I do bear in mind that it was technically on two separate tickets.
As below states, it will be checked before first flight on reservation. This is just like passport gets checked before 1st flight, even if that's not international flight. If you check bags, they'll ask for it there. If no bags and skip counter, they'll ask for it at the gate.

If you check bags across tickets, it should be checked when you checkin for 1st flight on 1st ticket and checkin bags.

Originally Posted by parzivalmx
I haven't travel to GRU but to other destinations with testing required. They always ask for the COVID test at check-in regardless if you have a local stop. If you don't have checked bags and skip counter check-in they will ask before boarding. This has always been the case for me on DELTA if travel is on the same reservation. Take COVID test as passport/visa requirements.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:59 pm

I take multiple domestic flights on my way to Canada and I am always the only one called up to the gate desk on domestic flights for a passport check. Similar for covid test. Otherwise DL will have to fly you back to point of origin for free.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you, folks! This is now technically moot; I got my results late last night so I booked a Friday flight as soon as I got them and I was lucky to have snagged the same price.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:39 pm

Not GRU but in Mex my test is checked when I drop my bags and I think again at the gate.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Not GRU but in Mex my test is checked when I drop my bags and I think again at the gate.
The same agents that ask at bag drop go around and ask at gate. This way anyone that connects or has no bags get checked. If they ask at gate just show the sticker on back if passport.
Milesaway76 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:19 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
They check at your origin regardless of if you have a domestic or international connection based on the requirements of the destination country. My LAX-MSP-KEF (despite an 10 hour layover in MSP collected my vaccine info at LAX. My recent LAX-MEX-AMS (delta agents acting for AM) also confirmed all my documents at LAX. The example or two separate tickets would be exception, but doesn’t sound like your case this time
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
For Canada, they changed it in the past month where they check it on the final flight to Canada instead at check in, which I think is a bad idea as they had to deny 10 people on the flight and delayed the flight getting their luggage off the plane.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
For Canada, they changed it in the past month where they check it on the final flight to Canada instead at check in, which I think is a bad idea as they had to deny 10 people on the flight and delayed the flight getting their luggage off the plane.
This makes no sense. They wouldn't have been allowed to checkin bags without proper documents.

Did they call them up by name, also did they ask you to show documents as boarding? Curious if they were connecting from OAL maybe.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I have taken many flights from USA-SEA-YVR this year. Every single one is delayed for the reason you said above. Yes, they do only check docs on your final flight into Canada. That is great because often my test results aren’t in until I am in the air on my way to SEA. The downside, as you said, is at least 10 people or more on every flight I have been on have been denied in SEA for lack of proper docs and we had to wait for their bags to be pulled. I have never yet had any docs checked at my origin US airport.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Finkface
I have taken many flights from USA-SEA-YVR this year. Every single one is delayed for the reason you said above. Yes, they do only check docs on your final flight into Canada. That is great because often my test results aren’t in until I am in the air on my way to SEA. The downside, as you said, is at least 10 people or more on every flight I have been on have been denied in SEA for lack of proper docs and we had to wait for their bags to be pulled. I have never yet had any docs checked at my origin US airport.
You weren't asked for any documents when checking in bags at whatever US airport flying from? If so this is different from travel to every other country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.