Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earn Skymiles on Codeshare Operated by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG

I'm booked on an AM codeshare (AM3516) operated by DL. I've dug high and low on DL's sight, and I can't find anything that indicates whether or not I can earn Skymiles on the flight. Does anyone know if I'm able to earn Skymiles for the flight or not?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Toady
I'm booked on an AM codeshare (AM3516) operated by DL. I've dug high and low on DL's sight, and I can't find anything that indicates whether or not I can earn Skymiles on the flight. Does anyone know if I'm able to earn Skymiles for the flight or not?

Thanks in advance
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

You can check the AM earning table.
Weekend Away likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I think the correct answer is the table as linked in meta's post will apply, but the language there is strangely ambiguous.

The issue is that the miles do not always earn on flights marketed by a partner but operated by another airlines. For example, if you look under Virgin Australia it says the Virgin marketed flight must be operated by Virgin or DL. But under AeroMex it says says:
Other: Flights operated/marketed by Aeromexico Connect are also eligible to earn miles.
I can not parse that language in any rational manner.

There was an edge case somebody had a while back with a ticket marketed by one partner and operated by another that did not earn miles. I think it would be insane in this case, but the DL website does not answer the question.

EDIT: OP, it might not be clear that they stupid rectangles for each partner airline are actually buttons you click to see the earning tables.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the rule is that you earn nothing for codeshare flights that are not operated by a SkyTeam member. An example might be a Ukrainian Air flight marketed by KLM. There *might* be separate rules for VS flights with AF/KLM codeshares.

With a DL/AM codeshare, the only issue is remembering whether it's the marketing carrier or the operating carrier that determines how much you earn.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Toady

Thanks in advance
Of course you earn. Anything marketed or operated by DL will earn. In this case you earn per the AM earnings as you always go by marketing carrier for Skymiles. Partner marketed codeshare flights must either be both marketed and operated by a ST airline OR marketed by any DL partner and be operated by DL. Ie a VS marketed, KL operated flight doesn't earn, but a VS marketed, DL operated flight does earn.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I think the correct answer is the table as linked in meta's post will apply, but the language there is strangely ambiguous.

The issue is that the miles do not always earn on flights marketed by a partner but operated by another airlines. For example, if you look under Virgin Australia it says the Virgin marketed flight must be operated by Virgin or DL. But under AeroMex it says says:

I can not parse that language in any rational manner.

There was an edge case somebody had a while back with a ticket marketed by one partner and operated by another that did not earn miles. I think it would be insane in this case, but the DL website does not answer the question.

EDIT: OP, it might not be clear that they stupid rectangles for each partner airline are actually buttons you click to see the earning tables.
AM Connect is just their regional subsidiary similar to DL Connection. I believe the mileage earning chart is just saying you earn miles on the non-mainline flights.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Fairly easy case here, SkyTeam marketed flight operated by a SkyTeam member, you earn based off of the partner chart for the marketing carrier.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG
Thx all. I got bit by this many years ago flying AS metal on a DL ticket and trying to get AS miles, so just a little leery about doing this again.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Partner marketed codeshare flights must either be both marketed and operated by a ST airline OR marketed by any DL partner and be operated by DL. Ie a VS marketed, KL operated flight doesn't earn, but a VS marketed, DL operated flight does earn.
Thanks. I had this come up just today, but in reverse. I was looking at a AF-coded/VS-metal flight and concluded that it wouldn't earn anything based on the chart, so I switched to a AF-coded/DL-metal flight instead.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 18sas
Thanks. I had this come up just today, but in reverse. I was looking at a AF-coded/VS-metal flight and concluded that it wouldn't earn anything based on the chart, so I switched to a AF-coded/DL-metal flight instead.
It's especially confusing as DL/AF/KL/VS are all in a JV together. However earnings are not neutral.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's especially confusing as DL/AF/KL/VS are all in a JV together. However earnings are not neutral.
Right that was the main point of confusion. VS is part of the joint venture, it's not part of SkyTeam, which I didn't really think about until after I purchased. I'm glad though that I read the rules before it was too late.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Fairly easy case here, SkyTeam marketed flight operated by a SkyTeam member, you earn based off of the partner chart for the marketing carrier.
Not quite sure. My last DL operated flight (KL marketed) earned based on DL policy. They used what seemed like their share of the fare for the DL metal segment to calculate my earning rate. It was lousy versus what I would have earned from KL table. And no, a phone call to DL did not fix the lousy earning formula.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Msafiritx
Not quite sure. My last DL operated flight (KL marketed) earned based on DL policy. They used what seemed like their share of the fare for the DL metal segment to calculate my earning rate. It was lousy versus what I would have earned from KL table. And no, a phone call to DL did not fix the lousy earning formula.
KL marketed always earns per KL table. Are you perhaps confusing marketing and ticketing carrier?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:08 pm

Before the miles bonus announced a while back I flew AM exclusively to Cdmx since last Nov. Watch and make sure AM credits your DL account. I have to fight and request that the miles be credited EVERY SINGLE freaking flight. I just had a mex-cuu flight that has yet to be credited. I'll give it two more weeks and then I'll have to raise hell again.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Before the miles bonus announced a while back I flew AM exclusively to Cdmx since last Nov. Watch and make sure AM credits your DL account. I have to fight and request that the miles be credited EVERY SINGLE freaking flight. I just had a mex-cuu flight that has yet to be credited. I'll give it two more weeks and then I'll have to raise hell again.
Make sure your DL number prints on BP. For some reason unless this happens even if it appears on OLCI BP it doesn't post. This can require removing and readding the #.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.