Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This seems like a really good deal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

This seems like a really good deal

I need to go to Sweden for work and I'm trying to build up some miles. I was playing around with difference destinations and dates and got BOS-MSP-AMS-GOT-CDG-MSP-BOS in Delta one for $2100. Seemed almost too good to be true. The checkout screen said it was worth 27,000 MQM's Is that as good of a deal as I think? The flights to and from GOT are on KLM, the overseas legs are A330-300 herringbone Delta one.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not that unusual. There are similar deals to ARN, VCE, MXP, FLO, FCO, NAP, and LIS. BCN and MAD are under $1900 roundtrip. The calculator now includes Accelerator promo MQMs.

Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by disalex
I need to go to Sweden for work and I'm trying to build up some miles. I was playing around with difference destinations and dates and got BOS-MSP-AMS-GOT-CDG-MSP-BOS in Delta one for $2100. Seemed almost too good to be true. The checkout screen said it was worth 27,000 MQM's Is that as good of a deal as I think? The flights to and from GOT are on KLM, the overseas legs are A330-300 herringbone Delta one.
$50 says you're lookin at this winter? I'm looking at a trip to KTT in Feb and the closest DL can get me is HEL. I too was pleasantly surprised at the ~$2100 D1 fare.

Originally Posted by xliioper
It's not that unusual. There are similar deals to ARN, VCE, MXP, FLO, FCO, NAP, and LIS. BCN and MAD are under $1900 roundtrip. The calculator now includes Accelerator promo MQMs.

What's this toy you have here?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by photojojo
What's this toy you have here?
Google Flights “explore”
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by Duke787
Google Flights “explore”
Gees I'm totally out of the loop with Google flights. Thanks!
Duke787 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=photojojo;33517290]$50 says you're lookin at this winter? I'm looking at a trip to KTT in Feb and the closest DL can get me is HEL. I too was pleasantly surprised at the ~$2100 D1 fare.

Or late fall Oct 30-Nov 5
And damn that google flights is cool
photojojo likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by disalex
And damn that google flights is cool
I tried for years to get someone to develop an app to do specifically what that "explore" function does but the guys I work with looked like deer in headlights when they were trying to figure out how to scrape the data. Clearly google has deeper pockets.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I tried for years to get someone to develop an app to do specifically what that "explore" function does but the guys I work with looked like deer in headlights when they were trying to figure out how to scrape the data. Clearly google has deeper pockets.
Google also has the benefit of owning ITA Matrix as the backend and then combining it with their typical usability strengths to make a user friendly version
photojojo and ryw like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
You can try engineering the reverse flight search -- the one tool I've been needing is finding cheap flights (from anywhere) TO a particular destination. No one seems to have this.
photojojo and ryw like this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I did a round-trip to GOT over Christmas week last year and it was under $2k. Normally it would be 2 to 3 times as expensive so I splurged. $2100 for a week in the fall is an excellent fare by historical standards, but not that unusual in the current environment of almost non-existent international business travel. I personally wouldn't be excited about the double connections, but perhaps you're looking to rack up some extra MQMs.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
You can try engineering the reverse flight search -- the one tool I've been needing is finding cheap flights (from anywhere) TO a particular destination. No one seems to have this.
sabre API kinda has it, but API is behind a paywall

https://developer.sabre.com/docs/res...rch/flights_to

and it's not very configurable, and relies on sabre cache (whatever'sloaded in their cache, or whoever queried recently, may not find all of them)

kayak as it too

https://www.kayak.com/explore/NYC-anywhere

GDSes have these "cheapest flights from" search capability

https://developers.amadeus.com/self-...iration-search

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 25, 2021 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I did a round-trip to GOT over Christmas week last year and it was under $2k. Normally it would be 2 to 3 times as expensive so I splurged. $2100 for a week in the fall is an excellent fare by historical standards, but not that unusual in the current environment of almost non-existent international business travel. I personally wouldn't be excited about the double connections, but perhaps you're looking to rack up some extra MQMs.
Absolutely, I could do it much shorter but since it's all first class and Delta one, I figured why not make a mileage run out of it
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Google also has the benefit of owning ITA Matrix as the backend and then combining it with their typical usability strengths to make a user friendly version
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say Kayak was actually the first to develop the "explore" map feature as I'd spend countless hours on there dreaming up where I could go "back in the day". The prices that displayed was based on recent past searches (not pulling current fares/prices like GF does now), but still it was awesome when it came out.

Tried to do some digging but only found this release from 07/2010 https://www.kayak.com/news/kayak-add...ular-ipad-app/ and it looks like Google bought ITA around the same time.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say Kayak was actually the first to develop the "explore" map feature as I'd spend countless hours on there dreaming up where I could go "back in the day". The prices that displayed was based on recent past searches (not pulling current fares/prices like GF does now), but still it was awesome when it came out.

Tried to do some digging but only found this release from 07/2010 https://www.kayak.com/news/kayak-add...ular-ipad-app/ and it looks like Google bought ITA around the same time.
seems like google flights explorer came around "alpha/beta" around 2012, so looks like kayak beat them

https://yyzdeals.com/toronto-to-dall...ghout-schedule
I'll also use this post to mention a new tool that Google is experimenting with, called Google Flights Explorer. This is not to be confused with Google Flights.
https://www.businessinsider.com/goog...hrough-2012-12

https://rockcheetah.com/blog/airline...hts-cut-paste/
2011 Sept -
Is Google Flights perfect? No, non-US/international itineraries are not supported.
The concept of using a map to explore options based on budget and flight duration was worked out by Sabre Labs in the late ’90s and resulted in as Travelocity Dream Maps a few years later. It is questionable whether the Google Flights map should be presented as the default, especially because it occupies a lot of valuable screen real estate.
trying to find example of travelocity dream map. there are plenty of posts on FT discussing it circa 2006
Arsene Wenger likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 25, 2021 at 10:30 am
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:56 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Southwest used to have the map price/route "getaway finder" feature, but removed it several years ago. It was great for planning mileage runs! Looks like some FT threads talked about it circa 2004. (It's now been replaced with a static route map that doesn't show prices). WN's new Interactive Route Map

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.