Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Dedicated D1/DM Check-in at SEA. Elsewhere?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dedicated D1/DM Check-in at SEA. Elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
When I use the Microsoft check-in when traveling for personal purposes, I proactively pull out and present my Microsoft ID card as I approach the counter. This saves the gate agent the somewhat uncomfortable duty of asking me for it, and spares me from the uncomfortable position of being questioned.

FYI Microsoft employees cannot ordinarily book personal travel using the company's travel portal.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Having a "dedicated" D1 check-in counter at the D1 "outstations" (SEA, SAN, etc) is a low cost way to improve the product given that probably only a small number of locations (LAX, JFK) would have the volume to justify dedicated facilities. The D1 agent can process SP check-ins when there are no D1 customers. This should be part of the product offering, along with SkyClub access, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
the D1 checkin definitely includes 360s as it’s a published benifit. It does seem a little stingy to not include diamonds at least on long haul flights
I'd argue that DMs should be able to use the D1 check in counter when flying domestic FC since D1 is not offered on such flights. On long haul flights, if D1 was offered but the DM did not choose a D1 ticket, they can use the regular SkyPriority line.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Maybe even in Y they have enough business that DL feels it's worth it? Kinda surprised AMZN doesn't just load its employees into cargo planes along with all the boxes
To be honest, I’m surprised they haven’t started an on-demand passenger airline yet out of Seattle Boeing Field yet. I feel like they could pull something like that off with their tech savvy millennial hipster crowd.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I wonder if that was a condition of their corporate contracts with MSFT & AMZN.
I'm not sure "condition" is the right way to characterize it, but I think it's an incentive they offered, though, for sure. Delta has offered all sorts of perks to both companies to win over their Seattle business besides these checkin desks; one of the most visible externally was Delta's early bet on Windows Phone for in-flight service phones.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
I'm not sure "condition" is the right way to characterize it, but I think it's an incentive they offered, though, for sure. Delta has offered all sorts of perks to both companies to win over their Seattle business besides these checkin desks; one of the most visible externally was Delta's early bet on Windows Phone for in-flight service phones.
From SEA, what alternatives do these companies have for business travel? They need a big route network, including international flights, albeit perhaps more so for MSFT than AMZN. AS isn't going to work and UA or AA will involve connections through (at least) one of their hubs for most destinations.

I'm surprised that Boeing doesn't get the special check in desk privilege at SEA too.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd argue that DMs should be able to use the D1 check in counter when flying domestic FC since D1 is not offered on such flights. On long haul flights, if D1 was offered but the DM did not choose a D1 ticket, they can use the regular SkyPriority line.
I'm not seeing the connection between "might buy D1 if offered" and "DMs"
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Where was this D1/DM area set up? The desks between doors 13 and 15 marked for AF and KE are also sometimes used as overflow for Sky Priority or as AMZN/MSFT desks, so I suspect those are where they were...but it wouldn't be a complete surprise if they repurposed the Sky Priority desks over by door 17 instead.

SEA airport map of DL checkin desk area
It's setup in the SkyPriority area closest to Door 13. Closest to the entry door is a single stanchion with a D1/DM line, then a windy queue for SkyPriority, followed by two temporary signs for MSFT/AMZN employees to the far left (closest to security).

The Korean / Air France areas which as you point out have been used as SkyPriority, MSFT/AMZN employee check-in in the past were not staffed or signed.
CKDGM likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From SEA, what alternatives do these companies have for business travel? They need a big route network, including international flights, albeit perhaps more so for MSFT than AMZN. AS isn't going to work and UA or AA will involve connections through (at least) one of their hubs for most destinations.

I'm surprised that Boeing doesn't get the special check in desk privilege at SEA too.
I believe Alaska has a deep partnership with both companies, and many travelers at both companies prefer them. Their OneWorld partners (AA, BA and JL) provide substantial international connectivity. I don't think "AS isn't going to work" is accurate at all - I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that both companies spend more with AS and their partners than with DL.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:17 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by BenA
I believe Alaska has a deep partnership with both companies, and many travelers at both companies prefer them. Their OneWorld partners (AA, BA and JL) provide substantial international connectivity. I don't think "AS isn't going to work" is accurate at all - I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that both companies spend more with AS and their partners than with DL.
Boeing certainly likes Alaska, since they have the only CHS-SEA nonstop.

JetBlue has said in their earnings call that they saw a significant boost in revenue once they could sell to AA's corporate customers. I would bet AS+AA have had some success at corporate sales in SEA. Don't forget QR now flies to SEA too.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:49 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
At ATL INTL (F) I've seen one D1/DM desk with the rest being SkyPriority in that section. Never seen this at Domestic/South.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 10:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
To be honest, I’m surprised they haven’t started an on-demand passenger airline yet out of Seattle Boeing Field yet. I feel like they could pull something like that off with their tech savvy millennial hipster crowd.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they start a Prime Air charter between SEA/BFI/PAE and DCA once HQ2 opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.