Wiki Posts
Search

Anecdote of how much DL has fallen

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Anecdote of how much DL has fallen

Is it just me or do folks notice that some of the newer, manager tiers of Delta don’t have the same level of professionalism or customer service focus as their predecessors?

Here are two recent examples:

1.) Station Manager of a South American station was in DeltaOne. My seat would not recline, so she switched with me to a middle seat on a 763, next to someone I was traveling with.

She then had a nearly 2 hour conversation, while seated, with a random Y FA. Despite the flight leader announcing turbulence and asking everyone to sit, this conversation awkwardly persisted. My companion said the conversation lasted an entire movie he watched. I could not believe how unprofessional this is because of the effect it has on the tranquility and premium nature of the cabin.

2.) Mechanical delay on a flight. I checked a bag. Other options not available (in paid F) on the same day, so I rebook on the app to a nearby airport.

A Station Manager (this is in the US) comes on board and flips out, saying the app is wrong, she will not approve the rebooking, and the bag will stay in JFK. The only way I knew she worked for Delta was her badge because she was otherwise wearing pajamas as clothing.

She then left and the gate agent (old school) hands me my new boarding passes for the rebooking I did in the app. She then whispers “the system will redirect your bag anyways” with a wink...and says if not, ask in BOS for it.

3.) Multiple wheelchair fails despite the request being in the app. I don’t understand how they can fail to provide this service with the Air Carrier Access Act in effect.

///

#2 was especially annoying...it was less than 5 years ago that a pilot made sure my back made it at JFK because I was a diamond, despite a 4 minute connection.

Now, a young, new station manager finds it appropriate to disregard the app, and claim they won’t deliver my bag to my final destination in IRROPs. It’s so sad because I loved Delta. I don’t know how I feel about them right now, but I hope it is short-lived and they can hurry up and get back to where they were!

I would love to hear if others have noticed this decline in service levels in the newer hires as well.
smartytravel and Skennell79 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
While this could be a Delta issue, it could also just be a generational shift across many customer facing / service roles
hnewman and ExArkie like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Whilst I agree that DL has become a disgraceful company, the incidents you experienced could have easily happened at AA or UA as well.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Had to read thru a few times to try and sort out what you're trying to say. Still kinda fuzzy. Since you're most bothered by #2, let's start there. I think I've pieced together that you and your checked bag were both onboard a flight to JFK, there was a delay, and you rebooked yourself on a BOS flight instead. Then the station manager somehow found out about this, got angry and came on board to flip out at you. I'm having trouble believing that. I do believe that they might not unload your bag and would therefore warn you that your bag is likely to continue to JFK even if you don't. Generally they won't unload bags for domestic flights. It should eventually get to BOS tho.

As for #1, it sounds like an off duty employee generously traded seats with you when yours was broken, so you could have a working seat. Then, in an apparently unrelated matter, she had a long conversation with a flight attendant during a long flight. Unless they were talking unnecessarily loud, I'm struggling to see a problem here.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Had to read thru a few times to try and sort out what you're trying to say. Still kinda fuzzy. Since you're most bothered by #2, let's start there. I think I've pieced together that you and your checked bag were both onboard a flight to JFK, there was a delay, and you rebooked yourself on a BOS flight instead. Then the station manager somehow found out about this, got angry and came on board to flip out at you. I'm having trouble believing that. I do believe that they might not unload your bag and would therefore warn you that your bag is likely to continue to JFK even if you don't. Generally they won't unload bags for domestic flights. It should eventually get to BOS tho.

As for #1, it sounds like an off duty employee generously traded seats with you when yours was broken, so you could have a working seat. Then, in an apparently unrelated matter, she had a long conversation with a flight attendant during a long flight. Unless they were talking unnecessarily loud, I'm struggling to see a problem here.
Thank you for my reply. My apologies if it was difficult to follow.

In reply to your first point - I could not believe it was the Station Manager either. After I rebooked, and the door was still open, I politely informed the gate agent, who was in the front galley.

She went off board and came back and said I could not deplane or be rebooked because I had a checked bag. I replied that the bag would
make its way there eventually. She again said I could not get off. I politely asked her to get a Red Coat.

Someone in non-professional street clothes then came on and again told me no. I asked if she was a Red Coat, and she said she was the Station Manager at that point. I asked for her card. She slunked away, and I proceeded to get off.

As to the second point - it did bother my companion who was still seated next to the employee. And disturbed others around. Why would two employees openly defy orders for crew to stay seated, in the middle of DeltaOne, to gossip? It was extremely unprofessional.

Also, the employee was not being generous. They are required to switch when asked by the crew. She even left me opened linens and an opened water bottle! How generous of her.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Is it just me or do folks notice that some of the newer, manager tiers of Delta don’t have the same level of professionalism or customer service focus as their predecessors?
I would expect in general this is the case, given how many senior folks have left Delta and also given the post-COVID decline in customer service in much of the world.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I would expect in general this is the case, given how many senior folks have left Delta and also given the post-COVID decline in customer service in much of the world.
Thank you for your succinct reply. I completely agree.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
"Station Manager" at what airport?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair

1.) Station Manager of a South American station was in DeltaOne. My seat would not recline, so she switched with me to a middle seat on a 763, next to someone I was traveling with.

She then had a nearly 2 hour conversation, while seated, with a random Y FA. Despite the flight leader announcing turbulence and asking everyone to sit, this conversation awkwardly persisted. My companion said the conversation lasted an entire movie he watched. I could not believe how unprofessional this is because of the effect it has on the tranquility and premium nature of the cabin.

2.) Mechanical delay on a flight. I checked a bag. Other options not available (in paid F) on the same day, so I rebook on the app to a nearby airport.

A Station Manager (this is in the US) comes on board and flips out, saying the app is wrong, she will not approve the rebooking, and the bag will stay in JFK. The only way I knew she worked for Delta was her badge because she was otherwise wearing pajamas as clothing.

She then left and the gate agent (old school) hands me my new boarding passes for the rebooking I did in the app. She then whispers “the system will redirect your bag anyways” with a wink...and says if not, ask in BOS for it.

3.) Multiple wheelchair fails despite the request being in the app. I don’t understand how they can fail to provide this service with the Air Carrier Access Act in effect.

///

#2 was especially annoying...it was less than 5 years ago that a pilot made sure my back made it at JFK because I was a diamond, despite a 4 minute connection.

Now, a young, new station manager finds it appropriate to disregard the app, and claim they won’t deliver my bag to my final destination in IRROPs. It’s so sad because I loved Delta. I don’t know how I feel about them right now, but I hope it is short-lived and they can hurry up and get back to where they were!

I would love to hear if others have noticed this decline in service levels in the newer hires as well.
Was on First on a Mexico to US flight. A young couple coming back from a honey moon got on and had separate seats. They apparently asked the lead FA if she could change them - who said no. The coversation was overheard and about 6 people offered to switch with them The FA YELLED and said I SAID NO CHANGES. First time I ever saw it, but a gentleman wrote a letter and passed it around and everybody in first (and a couple of the young FAs) signed it. Apparently she was the "oldes/most senior" FA. We all got a letter back from CEO apologizing and saying she had been transferred to training.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by LordJohn
Was on First on a Mexico to US flight. A young couple coming back from a honey moon got on and had separate seats. They apparently asked the lead FA if she could change them - who said no. The coversation was overheard and about 6 people offered to switch with them The FA YELLED and said I SAID NO CHANGES. First time I ever saw it, but a gentleman wrote a letter and passed it around and everybody in first (and a couple of the young FAs) signed it. Apparently she was the "oldes/most senior" FA. We all got a letter back from CEO apologizing and saying she had been transferred to training.
I mean, I'll stop short of saying you're making some of this up and just say instead, that's not how any of this happens. Also, this is extremely ageist.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I had a less than pleasant FA (a male in his mid to late 20s) on my last flight (DTW-DCA on an A220).. This was after spending four hours at DTW with no food or drink in the SkyClub due to the water main break that happened that day. He thrust a silver-colored serving tray over the aisle seat pax (I was sitting on seat 2D) and I reached for the small packs of Goldfish on offer, accidentally grabbing three of them. The FA scolded me for taking too many. He then went back to the galley presumably to get my name, and I'm guessing that my 3MM status floored him because he never came back out of the galley the rest of the flight.

I hope DL improves, as I'm too old to start over with anyone else.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ND76
I had a less than pleasant FA (a male in his mid to late 20s) on my last flight (DTW-DCA on an A220).. This was after spending four hours at DTW with no food or drink in the SkyClub due to the water main break that happened that day. He thrust a silver-colored serving tray over the aisle seat pax (I was sitting on seat 2D) and I reached for the small packs of Goldfish on offer, accidentally grabbing three of them. The FA scolded me for taking too many. He then went back to the galley presumably to get my name, and I'm guessing that my 3MM status floored him because he never came back out of the galley the rest of the flight.

I hope DL improves, as I'm too old to start over with anyone else.
He hid there without serving the other pax?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Other than weight and balance issues, I've never seen FAs care when pax willingly trade seats within the same cabin.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I mean, I'll stop short of saying you're making some of this up and just say instead, that's not how any of this happens. Also, this is extremely ageist.
How is it ageist? Poster didnt says she was rude because of her age. Rather I read it that she was one of the longest serving FA and those can have issues. They've been around long enough to know DL won't fire them (dont want FA to unionize) and if recent incident may no longer flying routes/stage lengths they have been accustomed to.

I agree it sounds like a "then everyone clapped" moment, but that doesn't mean it wasn't real.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29

///

Ca'mon... Seriously? The world doesn't care if you're a DM, PM, GM, SM, S&M or M&M. Sh!t happens from time to time and in the ~2500 segments I've flown over the years I've experience far far worse back when you probably thought Delta was at it's peak. If you're a legit frequent flyer and _THIS_ sets you off, then you've been leading an enchanted life and I envy you.
pgh234, OHDL1, ULDB65 and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.