Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Value of Diamond medallion if purchasing D/I/Z...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Good morning -

Looking into future strategy and wanted to get the advice of some DM members. Wife and I hit DM this year, and because of rollover, etc will have it likely for another couple of years. This would be the first time we have DM. I wanted to hear some thoughts on the real value of PM or DM in our situation...

We travel a fair amount throughout the year with usually 4-5 long haul international trips. No business travel. We always will purchase biz class -- D/I/Z or whatever is available. In normal years, this amount to platinum on MQM and meets the Diamond MQDs.

We live around a DL hub so we usually fly DL/KLM.AF to Asia or Europe due to the solid routings, however, have flown other carriers if the routing or timing is better.

We also tend to have a lot of CC points which carry far more value on other carriers.

So for someone in this position, is there really any value to "chase" Diamond Medallion? We wouldn't really even benefit from the upgrade priority, and we generally get lounge access via our tickets anyways. I see the GUC as the real benefit here, but I could spend CC points etc for free flights on other carriers too.

Thanks for any insight here!
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
I agree with your assessment. In a situation where you are buying J international flights there is little benefit to status, you are better served to be a free agent and pick flights based solely on your preferences and timings.

No reason to chase DL status, if it happens as a function your natural flying then so be it and you can extract some value out of it (GUCs etc.)
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ChandlerWalker
Good morning -

Looking into future strategy and wanted to get the advice of some DM members. Wife and I hit DM this year, and because of rollover, etc will have it likely for another couple of years. This would be the first time we have DM. I wanted to hear some thoughts on the real value of PM or DM in our situation...

We travel a fair amount throughout the year with usually 4-5 long haul international trips. No business travel. We always will purchase biz class -- D/I/Z or whatever is available. In normal years, this amount to platinum on MQM and meets the Diamond MQDs.

We live around a DL hub so we usually fly DL/KLM.AF to Asia or Europe due to the solid routings, however, have flown other carriers if the routing or timing is better.

We also tend to have a lot of CC points which carry far more value on other carriers.

So for someone in this position, is there really any value to "chase" Diamond Medallion? We wouldn't really even benefit from the upgrade priority, and we generally get lounge access via our tickets anyways. I see the GUC as the real benefit here, but I could spend CC points etc for free flights on other carriers too.

I've only hit DM one year but even when traveling in F/J, here were the benefits I valued most:

- Higher Priority for IROPs handling, and often proactive handling. My wife and I received the coveted Porsche transfer at LAX, which was the only reason we made our connection to Australia.

- GUCs, as you note. You could at least save the cash from the difference between Economy and Biz and use the GUCs to upgrade.

- Extra choice benefits over PM

- Diamond desk for phone calls. Not sure how much that's helping these days or when it will improve, but at least when I was a DM, during times of bad IROPs across the system (winter weather affecting numerous cities), it was nice to get through to an agent in a matter of minutes, still.

Are any of these enough to push for DM over PM? Part of that may depend on how close you are to DM versus just remaining at PM for either MQDs or MQMs. But ultimately only you can answer that for yourself and what you would utilize out of the published benefits.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I've only hit DM one year but even when traveling in F/J, here were the benefits I valued most:

- Higher Priority for IROPs handling, and often proactive handling. My wife and I received the coveted Porsche transfer at LAX, which was the only reason we made our connection to Australia.

- GUCs, as you note. You could at least save the cash from the difference between Economy and Biz and use the GUCs to upgrade.

- Extra choice benefits over PM

- Diamond desk for phone calls. Not sure how much that's helping these days or when it will improve, but at least when I was a DM, during times of bad IROPs across the system (winter weather affecting numerous cities), it was nice to get through to an agent in a matter of minutes, still.

Are any of these enough to push for DM over PM? Part of that may depend on how close you are to DM versus just remaining at PM for either MQDs or MQMs. But ultimately only you can answer that for yourself and what you would utilize out of the published benefits.
Having been DM since it's inception, the above is spot on. The only caveat I would add is the response time on the DM line: it has been historically quick, but until they re hire all of the personnel, the call times are insanely long, even for DMs. I was quoted 3+ hours last night. It will get back to normal i am sure, but currently its a nightmare.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Having been DM since it's inception, the above is spot on. The only caveat I would add is the response time on the DM line: it has been historically quick, but until they re hire all of the personnel, the call times are insanely long, even for DMs. I was quoted 3+ hours last night. It will get back to normal i am sure, but currently its a nightmare.
Pre Covid when I went from DM to PM, I didn't notice any noticeable delay in the wait time nor did I notice much worse service from the phone agents.
El Boocho likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:36 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ChandlerWalker
Good morning -

I would just purchase foreign airline routes with the best soft and hard product, and it’s not domestic US airlines. Just a lot better products than the big 3 US ones if you purchase business class out right.

Your purchasing power has hopefully stopped the status chasing game.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Pre Covid when I went from DM to PM, I didn't notice any noticeable delay in the wait time nor did I notice much worse service from the phone agents.
I am 100% talking about the last 4-6 months.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
If you can buy international Biz tickets, you should be buying SQ/CX etc to Asia, and this could help you get *A status as well.
I'd prefer to have Delta Platinum, with its award ticket free changes, and then get BA Silver, which is middle level with few flights (for example, JAL on US-Japan-SIN (along with 4 BA short haul flights).
That's my take!
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by kyushuman
If you can buy international Biz tickets, you should be buying SQ/CX etc to Asia, and this could help you get *A status as well.
I'd prefer to have Delta Platinum, with its award ticket free changes, and then get BA Silver, which is middle level with few flights (for example, JAL on US-Japan-SIN (along with 4 BA short haul flights).
That's my take!
Main cabin award tickets no longer have a redeposit fee.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
this is the biggest thing, and it's not even close. I am a mostly domestic DM and if I had to pick between this and any other benefit, I would take this without hesitation. Upgrades are nice but ultimately this is what matters. Flying international J this is less of a big deal since J passengers already get pretty decent IROPs handling and people who fly mostly international generally have a smaller number of trips so a delay here and there is less of a big deal.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Main cabin award tickets no longer have a redeposit fee.
Only if starting in North America.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
DMs get 11 miles per dollar of spend vs. PMs get 9 miles per dollar.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'm on AF but in similar situation. Moreless for me the extra $ value is in the bonus miles.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
DMs get 11 miles per dollar of spend vs. PMs get 9 miles per dollar.
It's not spend but rather these are multipliers that convert MQDs to RDMs. Government imposed fees and taxes don't earn miles.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
You get personal emails from President Ed.
Pocatello and El Boocho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.