Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Delta D1 on a 767-300, is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Delta D1 on a 767-300, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cmd320
Fair enough, we each carry our own opinions. 99.9% of the people aren’t flying J though, so sure, if we open it up to comparing with Y- then it could be called great. Comparing it with the majority of other J products though, at least for me, I think it’s quite poor. There are 2-2-2 J products I find more comfortable personally.
The seat is fine enough. I'd take it in half a heartbeat before BA's old J seats. Seeing as how most of my experience on DL 763s has been in their old 2 cabin domestic configuration (where some Y seats may just have been more comfortable), maybe I'm just jaded that they could somehow put a somewhat comfortable product in the same bird. All that said, maybe I'll reevaluate in a couple of weeks when I have my first DL 763 flight in a few years (Transcon US).
JBa likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Originally Posted by aerslingus
It's Dub - BOS. 1000 euros more for BA and 1500 more for EI.
Any chance the aircraft could change between now and then? I don't have much hope as it's been on that route for a few years now.
If the -300 D1 product really is that bad, another option is 1000 euros less to connect through Toronto on an air Canada 787 in premium economy.
The seat is probably fine for what is just one of the shortest TATL segments. BOS-DUB was just over 5 hours when I went a few years ago. The service on both that and the return to BOS felt performative and rushed rather than enjoyable simply due to length of flight. You won’t get much of a chance to enjoy any other airline’s service on this leg I’m afraid.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Short answer: No. I hate that JFK-LAX is mostly 763

But, if it's the cheapest option for J, go for it. It's not the end of the world.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I'll echo some others. Are the other D1 hard products better? Absolutely. Still, I find little wrong with the 763, even when I don't snag 1A or 1D.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:33 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/every...m-seat-ranked/
That's got some fair comparisons of the different D1 seats.

The 767-400 is FABULOUS, as I just recently flew it JFK-LAX and made sure I got that aircraft.

The 767-300 is fine, I don't love it, I will take it if that's the option, but always a bit disappointed when that's the aircraft that I'm trying to upgrade to or if I'm buying it outright. At least it's all aisle access
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Everyone's needs are different. I'm fine with the 763 and it's the one I fly most often TATL. The worst thing is the IFE and I don't use it, so I don't care.

I just spent 11+ hours on a 764 and wasn't happy with it. Uncomfortable and cramped.

I choose my trips based on price, date, and time - not on aircraft type.

No way would I spend $1,000 more for a trip like this to change aircraft type.

If you don' t tell your family that they won't like the aircraft, they'll be wowed and love it. Make sure that folks have tablets for entertainment and the inadequate IFE won't matter.
willoL and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Everyone's needs are different. I'm fine with the 763 and it's the one I fly most often TATL. The worst thing is the IFE and I don't use it, so I don't care.

I just spent 11+ hours on a 764 and wasn't happy with it. Uncomfortable and cramped.

I choose my trips based on price, date, and time - not on aircraft type.

No way would I spend $1,000 more for a trip like this to change aircraft type.

If you don' t tell your family that they won't like the aircraft, they'll be wowed and love it. Make sure that folks have tablets for entertainment and the inadequate IFE won't matter.
Spot on. The soft product is still going to be a great experience. And there's nothing else even close in price.
Appreciate all the feedback!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aerslingus
The soft product is still going to be a great experience.
On this I'd keep your expectations quite low to avoid disappointment. They're currently serving what is basically the equivalent of a domestic first class meal in D1. It's a single tray service, drinks are in plastic cups.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
I am flying this next week ATL-ANC. Not a regular F flyer, so I am quite certain I will thoroughly enjoy it, even if its not real D1. At least it is after 7/13 so should get more than a snack box for the nearly 8 hour flight.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
On this I'd keep your expectations quite low to avoid disappointment. They're currently serving what is basically the equivalent of a domestic first class meal in D1. It's a single tray service, drinks are in plastic cups.
I'm hoping things are more normal by next April!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:43 am

I echo all the comments that there are certainly better seats out there but there’s nothing terrible about the 763 seats. It always amazes me how much folks are willing to pay or go out of their way for a slightly better seat on a 6 hour flight. People happily trade a 30 minute connection for a 5 one if it means their seat will have a door.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by indufan
Yep, it is a lie-flat and that is about the only thing that matters to me. I truly believe that 99.9% of the people would describe it as great.
I first flew the 763 from EDI to JFK about 10 years ago, and that was also my first international J experience. I remember thinking that it was good -- not luxurious, and the food was nothing to write home about, but the seat was flat, and I slept.

Now it is literally the last hard product I will fly, if I can help it. So perspective matters quite a bit.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/every...m-seat-ranked/
That's got some fair comparisons of the different D1 seats.

The 767-400 is FABULOUS, as I just recently flew it JFK-LAX and made sure I got that aircraft.

The 767-300 is fine, I don't love it, I will take it if that's the option, but always a bit disappointed when that's the aircraft that I'm trying to upgrade to or if I'm buying it outright. At least it's all aisle access
I wouldn't call the 764 fabulous -- it's cramped and narrow (something I've mentioned in other threads -- and I'm not that big at 5' 11'', 165). It is better than the 763 but that's about as far as I'd go with the 764.

Back to the OP -- if it's a $1000k+ difference for BA or EI, you should stick with DL and the 763. Especially if you and the family have never flown in J before you don't have the same jaded POV that some of us on FT have (myself included). The seat will lie-flat which will be really nice, the personal space around you is nice (even if there isn't a door or high walls), the biggest caveat is that the TV screen is pretty mediocre. It's fine for watching TV but it's definitely not the HD quality picture you get on the newer DL interiors -- so if you want high quality video for your flight, make sure you pack an iPad or laptop for entertainment.

If you aren't traveling until next April, I would just keep what you have. There's no telling what equipment will actually be flying this route that far out. It could stay as the 763 or it could switch to an A332 if international travel opens back up (that was the plane regularly on the route pre-COVID during peak season). It could even end up as a 752 which wouldn't be a bad place to land if traveling with family (it isn't all aisle access but the seat and screen is newer than the 763).
SuperG1955 and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
If you aren't traveling until next April, I would just keep what you have. There's no telling what equipment will actually be flying this route that far out. It could stay as the 763 or it could switch to an A332 if international travel opens back up (that was the plane regularly on the route pre-COVID during peak season). It could even end up as a 752 which wouldn't be a bad place to land if traveling with family (it isn't all aisle access but the seat and screen is newer than the 763).
Plus with it being this far out, you will likely have a few opportunities to change to whatever DL flights you want when a schedule change comes up. You could move to BOS-JFK-DUB and the TATL segment is on an A330 which is reported to be much better than the 763.
cmd320 and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vinnmann
Plus with it being this far out, you will likely have a few opportunities to change to whatever DL flights you want when a schedule change comes up. You could move to BOS-JFK-DUB and the TATL segment is on an A330 which is reported to be much better than the 763.
Yeah we're not frequent business flyers so a lot of the experience will be priority security/boarding and lounge access. I don't think they'll be fussy but as the one spending the money I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I think for the price it's worth it, compared to what else is out there. And at least now I know if the opportunity to move to an A330 comes up I'll take it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.