Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Thanks us By Taking The Bailout Money Then Price Gouging

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

People are still dying from Covid. People are still getting sick. These are far from normal times. We are still in a crisis.

I remember the days when raising price inordinately when there was a public emergency was considered price gouging.

I just looked at midweek fares to fly from SFO to JFK leaving 3 weeks from now. Delta's fares are all in the $900 range.

It's one thing to have demand based pricing in normal times. But doing it now is really disgusting. Grandma can finally visit her grandkids - but let's charge her more than double the normal fare. Let's pay the public back for helping us in out time of need by charging extortionate prices.

Disgusting.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I only see Comft+ in the 900 maybe sit in main cabin? 620 - 735 is what I see 3 weeks out for a week stay.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Price gouging is state law. Unfortunately, DL is not subject to state law in term of price.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I only see Comft+ in the 900 maybe sit in main cabin? 620 - 735 is what I see 3 weeks out for a week stay.
Try SFO to JFK 7/28-8/4. All flights but one in the $900's or above, one for $802. Comfort+ in the $1,000-$1100 range.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
I dont think that's a strange fare three weeks out on a route considered a++
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatty
I don't think that's a strange fare three weeks out on a route considered a++
I usually take that route in the summer for no more than $500, with 2-3 weeks advanced purchase.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
If DL has refiled higher fares in the same buckets, you might have an argument (but not a legal case). There is a highly publicized supply-demand mismatch happening currently among US airlines. It seems far more likely to me that this is reflective of availability issues and selling out lower fare buckets sooner than in previous years. "People are still dying" is unlikely to get you very far with res or rev management, unless you require a bereavement fare in which case you would be entitled to the standard 10% discount.

I am seeing plenty of K fares between $550 and $650, even on your dates. Leaving a day earlier looks to result in about $100 savings.
AsiaTraveler and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
This is a sensational and false argument. The funds the airlines received from the federal government were designed to help them when they were hemorrhaging cash and about to lay people off. Keeping people on the payroll meant those people continued to pay taxes and have the money they needed to procure goods and services and support the economy. That was the point of the support, not to limit DL or its competitors to some arbitrary regulated fare ceiling when they find themselves finally coming out of the crisis.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
People are still dying from Covid. People are still getting sick. These are far from normal times. We are still in a crisis.

I remember the days when raising price inordinately when there was a public emergency was considered price gouging.

I just looked at midweek fares to fly from SFO to JFK leaving 3 weeks from now. Delta's fares are all in the $900 range.

It's one thing to have demand based pricing in normal times. But doing it now is really disgusting. Grandma can finally visit her grandkids - but let's charge her more than double the normal fare. Let's pay the public back for helping us in out time of need by charging extortionate prices.

Disgusting.
Is it really appropriate for grandma to be visiting the grandkids during a crisis while people are dying?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
If it makes you feel any better, Delta is still losing money.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:21 am

Grandma can finally visit her grandkids
Kudos for using the appeal to emotion in both directions in the same post
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I guess I don’t get price gouging if there is competition. A quick search of Google flights shows several airlines flying that route with various levels of pricing. From $627 from United to a high of $927 on AA. 3 nonstops exist: JetBlue at $697, United at $733 and Delta at $813. I’m not sure you can claim price gouging when there is ample competition.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...__8BQAFIAZgBAQ
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
OP should definitely book grandma on JetBlue. Better product and cheaper price.
Duke787 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:57 am

If grandma insists on flying Delta (which would be a strange thing, in my opinion), she can simply switch her dates by one day and get a price you seem to think has not been gouged. Nonstop, too!

Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Delta taking the "bail out" money has no relationship to how they price flights, provide any level of service, or anything else. There was no quid pro quo for taking the money. In fact, it would a been a poor business decision not to avail themselves of the funds so that they could stay afloat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.