Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

If you had to go west coast - CVG via red-eye, what would you choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you had to go west coast - CVG via red-eye, what would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zrs70
I like the LAS connection option. And if I need to purchase separate tickets, no need to stick with DL-DL. I can always get another flight LAX-LAS that will connect. And if it's separate tickets, I won't be automatically protected in a misconnect anyway.
On DL, if you have separate tickets for AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with both tickets on DL, DL will protect you and rebook you in the event of IROPs.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
On DL, if you have separate tickets for AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with both tickets on DL, DL will protect you and rebook you in the event of IROPs.
I don't believe this s a DL policy but more of a YMMV depending on your status, circumstances, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I like the LAS option a lot. That would be my recommendation.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
With DL, what happens if it becomes a trip in vain and you have separate tickets? Would DL treat it as trip in vain on a single itinerary?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zrs70
I have to be in CVG, departing LAX in a few months. Because of commitments on both ends, I can’t leave LA before 8pm, and I need to be at a meeting in Cincinnati at 8am.

Let me first say that I really, really, REALLY hate red-eyes. To boot, DL doesn’t have a red-eye on this route, at least on the date I need to go.

There are a few options:

1) Take the LAX-IND red-eye flight on DL. This would get me in at around 5:45 am. I would rent a car and drive the 100 miles, getting just a bit late to my meeting.
2) I could take a connection via any DL hub. That would get me to CVG closer to 9.
3) If I must take a connection, no need to stick with Delta. Are there better, more comfortable options our there? (I don’t think AA or UA offer lie flat red eyes via ORD - or via anywhere else except for NYC).
AA/UA frequently run 787s on LAX/ORD. However what flight time they do it varies.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I don't believe this s a DL policy but more of a YMMV depending on your status, circumstances, etc.
It's policy, as long as

1)time between tickets is sufficient to meet MCT as if on one ticket and
2)both tickets must
a)be issued by a ST airline and
b)remaining flight segments must be both marketed and operated by ST carriers.

They have ability to takeover any ST carrier ticket in this case through a program ST implemented about 2 years ago.

They will also do it with VS, but the exact details vary a bit.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:47 pm

Like someone said earlier, there's certainly a chance the nonstop stays as a red eye beyond 9/11. I would even say it's a pretty decent chance. It looks like the nonstop switches to a 1:25pm flight after 9/12, BUT that's what it shows from 9/13 all the way through the end of the schedule. Anything after 9/12 on Delta is just a placeholder and will likely change.

Update: I also noticed that prior to 9/13 there is a good LAX-LAS-CVG connecting flight on DL. It leaves LAX at 8pm and arrives in LAS at 9:17pm. It leaves LAS at 11:25pm and arrives in CVG at 6:09am. So, even if the nonstop LAX-CVG doesn't switch to a red eye, there's a good likelihood the LAS connection option will work out. Just wait a few more weeks to find out what they will do with the schedule after 9/12.
El Boocho likes this.

Last edited by UAL123; Jun 29, 2021 at 6:06 pm Reason: LAX-LAS-CVG prior to 9/13
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With DL, what happens if it becomes a trip in vain and you have separate tickets? Would DL treat it as trip in vain on a single itinerary?
I would presume so. The closest I came in this scenario was back in February during Snowmagedon in Texas. I was due to fly SAT-SLC then SLC-DCA on separate tickets which I booked that way as a pseudo mileage run. When I was rebooked after SAT-SLC was canceled the agent used my SAT-SLC ticket to rebook me on a SAT-DCA itinerary and simply refunded my SLC-DCA ticket. Then I experienced more IROPS in the following and eventually had to go out of IAH to get back to DC but that’s a side detail.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's policy, as long as

1)time between tickets is sufficient to meet MCT as if on one ticket and
2)both tickets must
a)be issued by a ST airline and
b)remaining flight segments must be both marketed and operated by ST carriers.

They have ability to takeover any ST carrier ticket in this case through a program ST implemented about 2 years ago.

They will also do it with VS, but the exact details vary a bit.
Good to know. After spending years being loyal to AA the pandemic has made my flying 100% leisure rather than business so I'm now able to fly whoever I prefer rather than who can get me there the fastest. Add this to the list of reasons I'm shifting my flying away from AA and to DL/UA.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:05 am

Just noticed the red-eye from LAX to CVG has been extended through 10/3. Leaves at 9:55pm and arrives at 5am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.