Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The MD-88 Returns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:53 am
Original Poster

The MD-88 Returns

Has anyone noticed that the MD-88 seems to have been taken out of retirement? I'm scheduled to fly on one July 5th, NYC to STT. It's tentatively scheduled (they seem to be consolidating flights through ATL) for the same flight in September on an MD-88 as well. I'm not shocked, but a little surprised considering all the fanfare about retiring them. I haven't seen anyone write about them being back so far either.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by whygo
Has anyone noticed that the MD-88 seems to have been taken out of retirement? I'm scheduled to fly on one July 5th, NYC to STT. It's tentatively scheduled (they seem to be consolidating flights through ATL) for the same flight in September on an MD-88 as well. I'm not shocked, but a little surprised considering all the fanfare about retiring them. I haven't seen anyone write about them being back so far either.
The MD-88s aren’t coming back into service lol. I’m not sure if you have the DL Android version of the App or not, but for some strange reason after schedule change Saturday, that specific version of the app will sometimes default the aircraft after a schedule change as being on a “Boeing (Douglas) MD-88.” The regular DL website and iOS version of the app don’t have this glitch and I’m showing JFK-STT operating as a 757 on July 5th.
cmd320, jiggs and ryw like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Not sure the MD-88 has the capacity for JFK-STT, for what I imagine is strong demand right now I flew the 757 in march.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Unfortunately the only way the MD-88/90s are coming back is as beer cans.
SUPERTRAVEL and sethb like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Unfortunately the only way the MD-88/90s are coming back is as beer cans.
or $50 gift cards
https://thepointsguy.com/news/bonus-delta-gift-card/
jrkmsp and sethb like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by onetouchpass
Not sure the MD-88 has the capacity for JFK-STT, for what I imagine is strong demand right now I flew the 757 in march.
Delta has always preferred smaller planes! And the MD-88 could have the legs on a good weather day... if they managed to smack on that ETOPS-120 rating right after pulling it out of retirement at least.
onetouchpass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.