Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DTW to ICN diverted back to DTW after getting 1/2 there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Location: Farmington Hills, MI, USA, NWA MillionAir, Gold or Plat since '92
Programs: Delta Million Miler

13+ hours from DTW back to DTW. Any idea why??? If a medical or mechanical issue, they would have gone to ANC. The airport at ICN appears to be operating normally. It's not near the end of the month when a return crew might not have enough hours remaining to be "legal." So why???

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...405Z/KDTW/KDTW
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I would be near mutiny. Then again after a particularly annoying flight from HKG once with a chronic cougher one row behind me (I collected data; they averaged one cough every 10 seconds for most of the flight), I would have been completely fine if we went back and dropped her off.
MSPpete, wrp96, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I assume COVID played a role here. Whatever caused them to turn around, it was far easier to go back to DTW and get a new plane and avoid all the potential COVID-related headaches of landing in ICN if there are issues with the plane or something on board.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Brings a whole new meaning to 'trip in vain'.
Auto Enthusiast and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder whether there could have been someone on board who cannot enter South Korea (or mainland China, if it was a continuing flight).

If they wanted to go to a major hub for a MX, SEA would be closer.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: ba silver
If it's covid related then they might not have had a choice. Airlines sometimes do that in other cases. I had a relative on an AC flight to Vegas that turned around due to " mechanical issues" and flew three hours back to Toronto. I guess it's easier for the airline to inconvenience one hundred passengers than finding hotel rooms for the crew that would have been likely stranded whole the issue was resolved.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Was once (probably 2008) on Northwest Narita to DTW flight in Business that turned around and headed back to Narita after 3 hours.
Walking off plane everyone in Business was handed a paper voucher that could be redeemed for either 125k miles or a Business class ticket anywhere NW flew .... those were the days.
Markie, Spiff, mot29 and 13 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL283 is really DTW-PVG. They had to go back to DTW due to Chinese entrance regulations likely. Everyone will require new CV19 tests and those technically can only be done in DTW.

Passengers don't get off/no new passengers get on at ICN. No one can thus connect to/from at ICN on this flight.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL283 is really DTW-PVG. They had to go back to DTW due to Chinese entrance regulations likely. Everyone will require new CV19 tests and those technically can only be done in DTW.

Passengers don't get off/no new passengers get on at ICN. No one can thus connect to/from at ICN on this flight.
OMG how miserable
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Maybe they learned about the anal swab covid tests in PVG while in the air and they decided to return…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...a-56245404.amp
Old Jun 19, 2021, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO

Is this because DTW-PVG is too far nonstop?

If its a fuel stop, any specific reason ICN instead of Anchorage?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Is this because DTW-PVG is too far nonstop?

If its a fuel stop, any specific reason ICN instead of Anchorage?
It due to quarantine rules for flight crews. The crews fly DTW-ICN (they get off here unlike passengers) , the crew that flew DTW-ICN the previous day gets on and flys ICN-PVG, they stay onboard the aircraft at PVG, then fly PVG-ICN and get off (again no passengers get on/off), at ICN the crew that flew ICN-PVG-ICN the previous day gets on and flies ICN-DTW.

All done to avoid Chinese quarantine rules for aircrew.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
I flew DCA-DTW on Saturday 19 June. Gate A76 arrival at DTW at about 2:25pm. While walking to the central terminal area to exit and meet my ride, I passed by one of the widebody gates (something near A60).

For those familiar with DTW’s A concourse, the seating area of two gates to the west of the moving walkway was roped off, a table-like cart was near the gate desk with what looked like take-away meals stacked five or six high, GAs or DL staff were passing out snacks and water, and the roped off area extended to one set of M/F restrooms to the south.

Uniformed DL staff were monitoring the roped areas, presumably to keep people from crossing between the roped off and non-roped off areas.

I wonder if the people in that roped off area were from this flight?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Was once (probably 2008) on Northwest Narita to DTW flight in Business that turned around and headed back to Narita after 3 hours.
Walking off plane everyone in Business was handed a paper voucher that could be redeemed for either 125k miles or a Business class ticket anywhere NW flew .... those were the days.
Wow, that's like 12,500,000 in today's [value of] Delta miles!
Spiff, JoeDTW, ck8 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The plane that went and diverted back to DTW was N514DN. The passengers got off in DTW and were on N507DN within 4 hours of landing. So, you would think it's mechanical and the diversion was to DTW as a replacement A359 was there. The oddity is that N514DN needed just a quick fix as it was on its way to AMS after just 6.5 hours on the ground. Whatever the issue was, seems like an expensive one given it had to come all the way back to DTW, recrew, and head out to ICN causing 14-16 hour delays on the next several flights. Also, with crew rest, I wonder if this will cause delays for the next several days for that crew. I'm too tired to do the math!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.