Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Flight Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2021, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Mileage Flight Changes

DL has their unofficial rule where they charge you more miles if you book an Int'l Business Class ticket with less than 90 days.

In the past though, I've been able to switch an already ticketed mileage flight to another day within the 90 day window and NOT be charged more miles (i.e. at an even exchange even if a new booking was pricing at the higher mileage rate due to being within 90 days)

Is that no longer the case? I was able to make the change a couple months ago, but now it is pricing it like a new ticket
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not an unofficial rule, it's part of the fare rules (see ADVANCE RESERVATIONS section below) for the lowest-level D1 awards (which are available at the "Fare Rules" link after you have selected your flights). By the way, this is only for Delta metal D1 awards. Partner business awards (partner metal over Atlantic/Pacific) only have a 60-day advance purchase requirement for cheapest awards.

Delta also has a bucket system for the different award levels. In order to book the cheapest award level, you must both meet the advance purchase requirement and there must be bucket inventory in the lowest award level bucket. It's possible they will let you change to a different flight without charging more as long as there is inventory in the lowest bucket level, but not to flights which don't have inventory in that level.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 8, 2021 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
DL has their unofficial rule where they charge you more miles if you book an Int'l Business Class ticket with less than 90 days.

In the past though, I've been able to switch an already ticketed mileage flight to another day within the 90 day window and NOT be charged more miles (i.e. at an even exchange even if a new booking was pricing at the higher mileage rate due to being within 90 days)

Is that no longer the case? I was able to make the change a couple months ago, but now it is pricing it like a new ticket
Only possible if changing return after flying outbound.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
[QUOTE=xliioper;33313758]It's not an unofficial rule, it's part of the fare rules (see ADVANCE RESERVATIONS section below) for the lowest-level D1 awards (which are available at the "Fare Rules" link after you have selected your flights). By the way, this is only for Delta metal D1 awards. Partner business awards (partner metal over Atlantic/Pacific) only have a 60-day advance purchase requirement for cheapest awards.

I should have been clearer - unofficial in the sense that they don't admit it when you talk to an agent.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are likely not aware of it unless they went looking in the fare rules and are just telling you what award fares are being returned. Almost all of the cheaper revenue fares have advance purchase requirements as well, but they probably don't really know or look at those either. People tend to overestimate the knowledge level of agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.