Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight delayed 13 hours, then un-delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2021, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

I got a text and email from Delta that my flight approximately 24 hours from now was delayed 13 hours with a forced overnight in Salt Lake City. A few minutes later, I got another schedule change email saying the flight was back to being on time. Did a dispatcher just make a mistake or something? The Flight Status tool in the Fly Delta app did briefly show the flight as 13 hours delayed. Bizarre.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I got a text and email from Delta that my flight approximately 24 hours from now was delayed 13 hours with a forced overnight in Salt Lake City. A few minutes later, I got another schedule change email saying the flight was back to being on time. Did a dispatcher just make a mistake or something? The Flight Status tool in the Fly Delta app did briefly show the flight as 13 hours delayed. Bizarre.
Its possible that at one point there was no plane/crew to operate the flight as scheduled.

Also possible it was a fat finger.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
holiday weekend Schedule Change Saturday gremlins getting to work early
Old May 29, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
I had the same. I was boarding the 5 pm BOS-ATL and got an App Notification that my connecting flight to DEN was delayed until 3 am. By the time I got up to the agent at the desk, it was back on time.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Same happened to me last week, only 3 hours not 13. Got a text 3 min later it was back to normal.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by estedman
Same happened to me last week, only 3 hours not 13. Got a text 3 min later it was back to normal.
I've had issue couple times lately where DL wasn't accounting for different time zones.

In fact one flight showed we landed 3 hours early despite being on time. Another (opposite direction) showed two hours late and the rebooking tool was activated.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:30 am

I also had this happen with Delta, except the delay stuck for a 5 or 6 hours before getting a second email saying the flight was back on schedule.

Out of curiosity, I asked the Gate Agent about it. She said that scenario happens to that flight occasionally (LAX-ATL) because the plane they normally used was coming from Asia. Any major delay with that plane causes major delays for the next flight that needs it.

She also said that more often than not, the Operations (or whatever their official name is) folks can shift planes around to make the schedule work again. At the time, that flight was on a Boeing 767. Since there are fewer of those around compared to the various versions of smaller planes, I imagine it takes longer to scrounge up a wide-body substitute.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:58 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was flying out of LAS to JFK a few eeeks ago, there was an announced delay of a few hours (missing crew member, flying in late). When I got to the gate it seemed that my flight would be delayed 8 hours—they were using GMT on the flt boards at the gate.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One wonders how many customers miss flights when this happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.