Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any Amex Reserve cardholders without medallion status out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

This is a bit of an obscure scenario, but I’m hoping there is a Amex Skymiles Reserve card holder out there without medallion status who can answer.

I’m a Amex skymiles platinum cardholder that is seriously thinking about upgrading to the reserve card. The one thing that would put me over the edge is the ability to select exit row seats without additional cost at time of booking. I know that you are upgrade eligible (although at the bottom of the pile below FO) with the reserve - but wasn’t sure if that carried over to being able to select preferred seats at time of booking. I realize my chances of getting upgraded on most segments would be almost nil - but those exit row seats would seal the deal for the card.

Anyone out there with the reserve card without status who might be able to answer if that’s possible? Thanks!
Old May 23, 2021, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if this works, how many times would you need to fly in exit row seats during a year in order to cover the Reserve card's additional annual fee? Would that many trips be enough to earn status with or without 15,000 MQMs (plus 25% this year) from spending $30,000 on the Reserve card?
Old May 23, 2021, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if this works, how many times would you need to fly in exit row seats during a year in order to cover the Reserve card's additional annual fee? Would that many trips be enough to earn status with or without 15,000 MQMs (plus 25% this year) from spending $30,000 on the Reserve card?
Believe it or not the difference would be covered by the cost of the exit row seats on my RT flight MCO-LAX in two weeks! Exit row costs have gotten insane - often more of an upgrade cost than comfort plus. I’ll make FO this year, but only because of the rollover from 2020 - my spend and/or flying isn’t enough to make it. I come close most years but not enough to swing it consistently.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by disneyfan1313
This is a bit of an obscure scenario, but I’m hoping there is a Amex Skymiles Reserve card holder out there without medallion status who can answer.

I’m a Amex skymiles platinum cardholder that is seriously thinking about upgrading to the reserve card. The one thing that would put me over the edge is the ability to select exit row seats without additional cost at time of booking. I know that you are upgrade eligible (although at the bottom of the pile below FO) with the reserve - but wasn’t sure if that carried over to being able to select preferred seats at time of booking. I realize my chances of getting upgraded on most segments would be almost nil - but those exit row seats would seal the deal for the card.

Anyone out there with the reserve card without status who might be able to answer if that’s possible? Thanks!
On some aircraft configurations (such as A321) some exit row seats are C+ but on many aircraft configurations, exit row is simply a "preferred seat". The only reference to preferred seating access at booking I've found is as one of the PM or DM benefits, and not a benefit for DL Amex Reserve.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I was one for a bit. It was nice to have something a little extra, and for me the companion pass made up the annual fee for me, and has each year.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by james318
I was one for a bit. It was nice to have something a little extra, and for me the companion pass made up the annual fee for me, and has each year.
This is how I justified the card upgrade as well. I am really curious if it does indeed unlock free preferred seats like FO+.
Old May 23, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by zeke3
This is how I justified the card upgrade as well. I am really curious if it does indeed unlock free preferred seats like FO+.
I can't recall from my time, but I believe it does. I remember just as the pandemic was starting and travel grinding to a stop, I was upgraded to Delta One on an LAX-JFK flight with this as my upgrade means. You are bottom of the list, but when there IS no list... And this was before service on board was cut.
williwaw likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Looking at my list of benefits from upgrading to AMEX DL Reserve, having the card (as you mentioned) gives you the possibility of an upgrade, even without being Medallion. Having the card and being Medallion gives you an edge over others in the same Medallion category.
I see nothing about gaining the ability to select preferred Economy seats.
I believe that ability comes with Medallion status, even Silver. With Medallion, the seat map shows the preferred Economy sets and they can be selected without a charge.
Obviously Basic Economy fares don't qualify for any advance seat selection.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Looking at my list of benefits from upgrading to AMEX DL Reserve, having the card (as you mentioned) gives you the possibility of an upgrade, even without being Medallion. Having the card and being Medallion gives you an edge over others in the same Medallion category.
I see nothing about gaining the ability to select preferred Economy seats.
I believe that ability comes with Medallion status, even Silver. With Medallion, the seat map shows the preferred Economy sets and they can be selected without a charge.
Obviously Basic Economy fares don't qualify for any advance seat selection.
Yep! Hoping it might be an “unofficial” benefit since upgrade eligibility is part of the package. I’m assuming that the percentage of reserve card holders who are not medallion is very low - so this wouldn’t be a noticeable perk (if it was a thing) for most people.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:17 pm

I'm currently in this situation... and I will derive enough benefit to make it worth while.

In my last four flights, without status, I've been upgraded to first class once and comfort plus twice. No ability to select exit row or preferred seats at a discount. I'm in a hub city.
Old May 24, 2021, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brisavmn
I'm currently in this situation... and I will derive enough benefit to make it worth while.

In my last four flights, without status, I've been upgraded to first class once and comfort plus twice. No ability to select exit row or preferred seats at a discount. I'm in a hub city.
Exactly the type of person I was hoping to hear from! Thank you so much for answering my question.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Lounge access and annual companion pass and exit row seats might be enough to justify the cost.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by james318
I can't recall from my time, but I believe it does. I remember just as the pandemic was starting and travel grinding to a stop, I was upgraded to Delta One on an LAX-JFK flight with this as my upgrade means. You are bottom of the list, but when there IS no list... And this was before service on board was cut.
Question has already been answered, but for clarity, the upgrade to C+, First, domestic D1 is not the same as the ability to select preferred seats (typically overwing exit rows and aisles/windows forward of the wing but behind C+).

The DL Reserve card puts you on the upgrade list for C+/First/domestic D1, but it does NOT allow you to select preferred seats for free. The latter is solely a benefit of medallion status and some corporate contracts.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YBM fares also have access to Preferred seating -- https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...d-seating.html
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.