Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pooling miles allowed in a ticket purchase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2021, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat

Has anyone had luck booking mileage tickets from multiple skymiles accounts?

I want to book 2 tickets (me + my partner) on the same itinerary. Mileage tickets are 45k each. He only has 35k. I want to buy this ticket with his 35k + my 55k. Will Delta allow that?

Simplest thing to do would be to call and ask, but, >1 hour hold time.

I am aware that I could transfer 10k directly to his account but that costs $100 which I'm obviously not looking to do. Miles for my uses are only worth about a penny a piece to begin with.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by flyerUSA

I am aware that I could transfer 10k directly to his account but that costs $100 which I'm obviously not looking to do. Miles for my uses are only worth about a penny a piece to begin with.
This is your only option as you cannot pool miles for free. AND you forgot about the $30 transfer fee in addition to 1 cent per mile. Or you can just buy 10,000 miles at 3.5 cents each with no transfer fee.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If you have the miles, you could pay all out of your account and then later they could pay you back with their miles (technically against the terms, but nobody will care in this type case).

Looks more reasonable that paying the transfer fees.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
So yeah that's a hard no. Finally got someone on the phone. Nope nope nope.

Also was hoping to transfer Amex points to his Skymiles account and that's also a hard no, on the Amex side (and a thread for a different forum)

But - I just thought of another option which is to split the ticket in 2 halves. This itinerary happens to be evenly priced 50/50 so it's a good option to book one segment with the miles he does have, and book the other segment separately on my miles. I think this will be the simplest path.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Also was hoping to transfer Amex points to his Skymiles account and that's also a hard no, on the Amex side (and a thread for a different forum)

But - I just thought of another option which is to split the ticket in 2 halves. This itinerary happens to be evenly priced 50/50 so it's a good option to book one segment with the miles he does have, and book the other segment separately on my miles. I think this will be the simplest path.
Only issues is fees. Tickets starting in EU carry surcharges.
Old May 22, 2021, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the route? I'm assuming it's domestic at 45K. The cheaper domestic coach award levels may require a roundtrip purchase and award levels can be higher if purchasing as one-way's.
Old May 23, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Might be answered elsewhere but adding your partner as an additional AMEX card holder will allow you to transfer points to their account.
Old May 23, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by cayohueso
Might be answered elsewhere but adding your partner as an additional AMEX card holder will allow you to transfer points to their account.
That now requires a 90 day wait after adding them to your AMEX account to transfer to their SkyMiles account. They have to get the card first and activate it so add another 15 days minimum.
Old May 23, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
That now requires a 90 day wait after adding them to your AMEX account to transfer to their SkyMiles account. They have to get the card first and activate it so add another 15 days minimum.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that.
Old May 23, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
If you have the miles, you could pay all out of your account and then later they could pay you back with their miles (technically against the terms, but nobody will care in this type case).

Looks more reasonable that paying the transfer fees.
maybe a little reading of the OP’s situation would lend clarity that they don’t have the miles in a single account to purchase both tickets

As for pooling across accounts, several have already clarified options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.