Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight Change Miles - Fare diff or total cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

I purchased a flight with miles. If I click modify flight , it then shows me prices in miles, for example, a first class at the same time on a different day is 19k. Is this a fare difference or the total cost of the flight?
Old May 4, 2021, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'd guess that, if you're on the "Modify Flight" screens, the display shows additional cost just like it does when looking at options to change a cash ticket
Old May 4, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
I purchased a flight with miles. If I click modify flight , it then shows me prices in miles, for example, a first class at the same time on a different day is 19k. Is this a fare difference or the total cost of the flight?
Difference. AFAIK there's no such thing as a 19k F class award.

Now I believe it did use to show the actual new cost. However with the new/updated modify flights function it shows the difference. I really don't like this cause I like knowing what total cost is when choosing. Unless I remember the specific price of the ticket changing, have no clue till end what total cost is.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
a dummy booking (i.e., flight search) will give you the current price

you can also look at the receipt in your original booking before going to “Modify”
Old May 4, 2021, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
a dummy booking will give you the current price
True, but it just makes it a pain doing it that way.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sounds like a personal problem to me
Old May 5, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jrl767
sounds like a personal problem to me
i guess knowing what your total cost is doesn't matter for some. Also guess some don't mind having to do extra work to find out that information. I'm not 100% sure it even complies with pricing rules by DOT/EU. They're not showing the true cost of the new ticket.

This setup also is confusing because it causes people to think it's the new ticket cost in some cases. Obviously a $0 will cause you to realize, but say you see $246 and no $0 options. Some will think the new ticket is $246.

If I exchange something at an online store, I see cost of item I'm exchanging for. They don't simply show the price difference.
Old May 5, 2021, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be useful if DL were to show both numbers.
flyerCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.