Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more free 2nd baggage to Asia

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Delta revamped baggage related webpage. I don't know when it happened. Previously, there was a table listing from and to regions and the cost of bag fees. Now we have to type in departure and destination city pairs to look it up except for already purchased tickets.

One thing I noticed was the revive of the 2nd baggage fee to Asia which is now $100. AA changed the same way a couple of months ago without an advanced notice either. UA still offers 2 bags free to Asia.
Old May 3, 2021, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK DL is required by DOT to show checked bag allowances (without elite or AmEx benefits) and fees on ticket receipts/itineraries at the time of purchase and to honor these even if the rules change in the meantime, at least for tickets exUSA or purchased in the USA. Keep the email and be ready to show it at check in if the agent gives you a problem about checked bags.

OTOH with fewer long haul international flights operating and cargo commanding a premium, I can understand that airlines would like to save more space and weight for cargo or at least charge passengers more for luggage to reflect the opportunity cost of the cargo capacity.

ADDED: For my most recent trip (domestic), the baggage information appears at the very end of the receipt.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

True. Baggage rule bases on the purchase date, and the system almost never fails to reflect that. But people may overlook the email and assume that 2 bags are free as it has been for many years. At least AA made a press release to announce the change and many blogs/forums mentioned about it. Haven't heard from DL as of yet.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:50 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
This is a downgrade for elites, since the INTL elite baggage allowance in Main Cabin is one additional piece each way. So a DM flying ATL-ICN used to get three bags and now only gets two.
kthomas likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Delta revamped baggage related webpage. I don't know when it happened. Previously, there was a table listing from and to regions and the cost of bag fees. Now we have to type in departure and destination city pairs to look it up except for already purchased tickets.

One thing I noticed was the revive of the 2nd baggage fee to Asia which is now $100. AA changed the same way a couple of months ago without an advanced notice either. UA still offers 2 bags free to Asia.
No! They did not notify the passengers. They should have a notice. It’s extremely important. They must informed them.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:26 pm

$100 2nd bag to/from Japan is back eh?

Delta tried this a few years ago to charge $100 on a 2nd bag for economy, but later caved and made the 2nd bag free because the Japanese carriers don't do this (and won't do this). Now very recently they've brought it back. It is irrational and greedy. A big mistake for Delta to go this direction coming off the pandemic.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:12 pm

It's only DL marketed flights because Delta knows no Asian carrier would do such a stupid thing on a transpacific flight. https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...tinerari.html#
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:36 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
First bag is still free though.

Looks like it’s the same as AA; UA still has second bag free on transpac for regular economy, but basic economy also has a $100 charge for the second bag
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:35 pm

Note that DL (and UA) recently introduced BE for TPAC (japan included). Probably one followed the other, unsure

https://thriftytraveler.com/news/air...economy-japan/
UA: BE for TPAC

Both seem to set $80 as spread between BE and nonBE
(AA had tpac BE for a while I think, also $80)

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 11, 2021 at 2:46 am
Old Jun 11, 2021, 12:32 am

Good to know. After many years of sticking with Delta, it is finally time to commit my loyalty to JAL or ANA who have will have far far superior economy product to/from Japan for the foreseeable future.
RealHJ likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:17 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
If you have a Delta Amex you can get your second bag free. If you're a medallion you can your second bag free. If you're a medallion with an Amex you can get two additional bags free, making your total three free checked bags. There are ways around the fees.
dw likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
If you have a Delta Amex you can get your second bag free. If you're a medallion you can your second bag free. If you're a medallion with an Amex you can get two additional bags free, making your total three free checked bags. There are ways around the fees.
I thought DL Amex free bag was limited to US / Canada / Caribbean flights and excluded international flights (unless you have DL FO in which case you do get the extra bag free)
Old Jun 11, 2021, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

It was changed earlier this year without any announcement. AA already began to charge $100 for the 2nd bag earlier this year as well. Now it's UA's turn.

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Delta Amex covers first bag only. If the first bag is free like to/from Asia, then there's no benefit from having the card.
Medallion gets the 2nd bag free but in that case, Amex card doesn't help either. 3rd bag will be always charged $200 according to the Delta bag fee calculator.
I'm not sure whether what you stated was correct until recently.. when DL changes bag policy, it happens quietly.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
It was changed earlier this year without any announcement. AA already began to charge $100 for the 2nd bag earlier this year as well. Now it's UA's turn.

Delta Amex covers first bag only. If the first bag is free like to/from Asia, then there's no benefit from having the card.
Medallion gets the 2nd bag free but in that case, Amex card doesn't help either. 3rd bag will be always charged $200 according to the Delta bag fee calculator.
I'm not sure whether what you stated was correct until recently.. when DL changes bag policy, it happens quietly.
Actually DL has started offering a discount on 2and bag if 1st bag is included in fare. (At least for Sputh America I know anyway)
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually DL has started offering a discount on 2and bag if 1st bag is included in fare. (At least for Sputh America I know anyway)
The calculator doesn't seem to think so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.