Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta has now changed my itinerary twice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

I fully appreciate that schedule changes are going to happen. This does not excuse a system that is so customer unfriendly. We made plans to go to Hawaii this fall and had a wonderful itinerary, Then the trip was ruined by a schedule change that made it impossible for us to make our first flight. So Delta (after waiting an hour and a half) changed the flight so we had to rearrange our itinerary to start on another part of the islands. that was okay. Now they have changed the flights again after we made new reservations with deposits. So I called again tonight and was told there would be an eleven minute wait. That was an hour and a half ago. I have been a loyal medallion flyer for more than twenty years. It doesn't seem to matter. The system is so messed up they can't tell you how long it will be to talk to a human and there is no call-back option. The app is equally useless because my situation is too complicated.

I'm sure others have encountered the same problem It is just so frustrating to spend so much time with what seems to be a cavalier or laissez faire attitude by Delta.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Understand the frustration, but know that fall schedules are going to be placeholder for a while, so there could be many more changes between now and the eventual flight. If possible, I would hold tight and come back to this in a few months of time.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest you relax a bit and understand there will likely be numerous schedule changes to flights booked in the Fall (and not just on Delta). While this has always been true, it's particularly more acute in Covid era. Calling on/near Schedule Change Saturday is almost certainly going to be the worst possible time to call (especially when there is a large update like there was this weekend). Fall schedule is not likely to get solidified until sometime in July or August and I wouldn't even be seriously looking at the schedule until then. Everyone realizes that DL reservations is currently understaffed. But this isn't really related to your long term status.
writerguyfl, rkoechel and FlyerWx like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 17, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Really no point in booking a domestic flight half a year out, especially if you are frustrated by schedule changes.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that scheduling more than 30 days out is purely notional. Nobody -- seriously, nobody -- has any way of predicting what the pandemic, the economy, and consumer demand will be. Booking more than 30-45 days out is an exercise in futility. Thus, an issue for you to revisit in July-August, depending when in the Fall.

Under no circumstances would I make any reservation which is not fully refundable up to more than 7-10 days in advance (preferably shorter, but not really doable for many locations). No way to tell whether travel will be possible or desireaable (would you still go, if you faced mandatory quarantine on arrival and then again on return to the Mainland or wherever you live)?

It is also entirely possible that what looks like a great routing today on DL will turn out to be a better routing at a better price this Fall, but you may be tied in to DL.

Thus, the advice is not to rely on schedule and to simply look at what one might do and not spend anything nonrefundable.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 18, 2021 at 7:16 am
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I've found that the schedules have firmed up mid month, a month and a half before flights. i.e. Mid- April changes which just took place firmed up the June schedule. Yes, as always, there will be additional changes but they're 95+% completed now. Trying to set a complicated fixed schedule earlier will only result in agita and additional expenses for non-flight changes.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all -- In a weird way I feel reassured.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:38 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that scheduling more than 30 days out is purely notional. Nobody -- seriously, nobody -- has any way of predicting what the pandemic, the economy, and consumer demand will be. Booking more than 30-45 days out is an exercise in futility. Thus, an issue for you to revisit in July-August, depending when in the Fall.

Under no circumstances would I make any reservation which is not fully refundable up to more than 7-10 days in advance (preferably shorter, but not really doable for many locations). No way to tell whether travel will be possible or desireaable (would you still go, if you faced mandatory quarantine on arrival and then again on return to the Mainland or wherever you live)?

It is also entirely possible that what looks like a great routing today on DL will turn out to be a better routing at a better price this Fall, but you may be tied in to DL.

Thus, the advice is not to rely on schedule and to simply look at what one might do and not spend anything nonrefundable.
To be fair, that is not always affordable. Some people budget a certain amount for their trip and if the price is way higher 7-10 days out then you're SOL.
I book the first time I see a price that I agree with. I know it may go up or it may go down, but I don't want to keep checking flights every 3 days just in case it may go down.
As far as schedule changes, I welcome them because usually I end up getting a better routing.
FabCW, LWkitty and sassybritches like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
To be fair, that is not always affordable. Some people budget a certain amount for their trip and if the price is way higher 7-10 days out then you're SOL.
I book the first time I see a price that I agree with. I know it may go up or it may go down, but I don't want to keep checking flights every 3 days just in case it may go down.
As far as schedule changes, I welcome them because usually I end up getting a better routing.
Fair enough. But, you are ATL-based which means that DL is the odds on favorite for most travel. At a time when there is no way to predict whether one will wish to travel and Covid tends to be uninsurable, you are stuck with "funny money" credits if your flight operates roughly on schedule but you do not wish to travel. That is fine for someone who may use the credit 2 weeks later. But, for those not based at a fortress hub, there may be better frequencies, aircraft & prices for that trip 2 weeks later and you are stuck with DL. For those who rarely travel, a credit is not of much value if one would prefer to have the money to drive 3-4 hours and spend time at a luxury resort.

Thus, a subjective issue for most.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
The OP's issue doesn't seem to be as much with flight change as with other arrangements, hotel, tours, cruises, etc., which is perfectly understandable. I think that many providers of these services are aware of the situation and will work with clients re flexibility. Of course, that doesn't mean that you won't have to do some extensive plan modifications. I would tend to notify the providers of the conflicts as soon as they arise but not make final changes until later in the time frame. It's also a good idea, when possible to get someplace a day or preferably two days early to CYA, even in non-COVID times for things like weather. Again, not always possible.

Now, with refund and or Award redeposit options, book secondary flight options, even on other carriers.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
An itinerary I booked a couple of weeks ago DCA-MSP-GTF for an event in mid-June just got changed two nights ago. I leave 90 minutes earlier and get to Montana two hours earlier; on the way home, my layover in MSP has been cut by 2 hours (from 5 to 3 hours).

I hope the OP got through to Delta reservations; they've pretty much helped me out over the decades.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:58 am
Suspended

The other issue at play is that frequencies remain relatively low on many routes. Thus, the available reroutes may well be significantly worse.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta, United
I feel the OPs pain. I just a noticed that one of our flights changed. No big deal. But they (aka the system) moved us to a day earlier which does not work because of a separately booked incoming flight that is known for being late. I will be calling asking them to fix it, currently there is a 90 minute wait, so I just use their call me back system which is great.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Apr 18, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Often1

I'm not booking refundable, but I'm also not paying a lot of extra money for the 'perfect' itinerary as I know it will change.
tardyturtle and DiverDave like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by spinmeister
I fully appreciate that schedule changes are going to happen. This does not excuse a system that is so customer unfriendly. We made plans to go to Hawaii this fall and had a wonderful itinerary, Then the trip was ruined by a schedule change that made it impossible for us to make our first flight. So Delta (after waiting an hour and a half) changed the flight so we had to rearrange our itinerary to start on another part of the islands. that was okay. Now they have changed the flights again after we made new reservations with deposits. So I called again tonight and was told there would be an eleven minute wait. That was an hour and a half ago. I have been a loyal medallion flyer for more than twenty years. It doesn't seem to matter. The system is so messed up they can't tell you how long it will be to talk to a human and there is no call-back option. The app is equally useless because my situation is too complicated.

I'm sure others have encountered the same problem It is just so frustrating to spend so much time with what seems to be a cavalier or laissez faire attitude by Delta.
Every airline is changing its schedules frequently.
For example, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2038183-here-we-go-again-flight-changes.html
They do in normal times, and when there's a global pandemic leading to radical unknowns in demand for travel, it happens even more. If you can't stand the uncertainty, don't book a trip six+ months out. With all going on in the pandemic, is having to wait for customer service to set up your trip to Hawaii in six months really that big a deal?

(And everytime I've called, I've gotten an option to select a call back in a specific time period, and it's usually been less. Since your trip isn't for six months, if the wait time is too long, wait a day or two. The long wait is partially due to everyone calling immediately when schedule changes roll out, despite any real urgency.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.