Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta not doing even exchange for cancelled flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta not doing even exchange for cancelled flights?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Question Delta not doing even exchange for cancelled flights?

I just tried to book a return flight that Delta cancelled back in December. They were unwilling to just book me on the same route. Instead, they treated my return leg as credit and I had to pay fare difference (even though the original flight was around Christmas time and the new date was in May, so I would have expected it to be cheaper now).

Is this normal? Legal?

I was under assumption that, if an airline cancels a flight, especially a return leg, they would allow you to re-book on another date without paying for fare difference.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, it is normal, legal and consistent with rules you agreed to.

When your flight was cancelled, you were entitled to a full refund. It appears that you accepted a credit in lieu of a refund (which was certainly your choice). Now, you may use that credit to purchase a new ticket at whatever that ticket costs.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

When your flight was cancelled, you were entitled to a full refund. It appears that you accepted a credit in lieu of a refund (which was certainly your choice). Now, you may use that credit to purchase a new ticket at whatever that ticket costs.
Seems very one-sided: Delta can cancel flights as they wish and give refunds, while consumers can't do the same (most tickets are non-refundable). Also, what's stopping Delta from cancelling flights with lower demand after selling a bunch of tickets forcing those people to scramble and buy more expensive tickets?

If I buy a ticket, I expect Delta to treat this as a contract to get me to a certain place. What you're saying is that tickets are not contracts to get me anywhere, it's more like a best-effort agreement on Delta's side while it's very set in stone on my side (no refunds, change fees, fare differences etc.)
smartytravel likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Delta Contract of Carriage is published on their website. Perhaps you should read what it actually says instead of trying to make up what you think it should be.
Schuhfly, bosman, cre95 and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
if they canceled the flight, they should even exchange However if you were thinking of even exchanging 6 months later that is a bit excessive. Delta normally only even exchanges within a few days of the canceled flight. Although the Pandemic Delta has been generous when the cancelation is pandemic related.

I don't think anyone is being an apologist for delta, you decided on a credit.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:14 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Could OP "back out" of the credit and ask for cash instead--even though months later?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Could OP "back out" of the credit and ask for cash instead--even though months later?
Yes, which is why Delta’s position is totally reasonable.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:50 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Yes, which is why Delta’s position is totally reasonable.
But if you don't know you can do this, DL "wins", they have your money. Most firms don't want the customer to know their secrets. Flying on DL vs AA, DL had always been nicer with refunds.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
delta would have happily rebooked you for a new flight +/- a couple of days as an even exchange. it sounds like it was only one leg of the trip that got cancelled.

now, months have passed, and the new flight is not part of the same trip by any stretch of any imagination. no even exchange is remotely in play, just a credit for the unused portion that can be applied to a new trip between any two destinations.

this is not being an "apologist" or "pathetic". this would be the same situation with any airline. you seem to not understand the CoC, and calling people names won't help.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
How do you do this?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:30 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
How do you do this?
I have no idea--that's why I asked. Though the poster in #7 thinks it's possible.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Often1

I prefer not to agree with all the one sided airline CoC but don’t really have a choice. 😉
smartytravel, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
How do you do this?
Call and ask for a refund. Any time a flight is canceled or significantly delayed/changed, you are entitled to a refund.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:00 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call and ask for a refund. Any time a flight is canceled or significantly delayed/changed, you are entitled to a refund.
From posts in this thread: did he forfeit the full refund when he accepted the credit?--I'd like to know the answer.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is some just plain lousy advice in this thread. It's fine to have an opinion as to how one wants things to be. But, suggesting that it is the way one wants it to be does not help people who really have a practical answer and want a legala nd practical answer.

1. If you want a fully refundable ticket, purchase one. They are more expensive and most do not, but it is a matter of personal preference.
2. If DL cancels or significantly changes your flight, you are entitled to a refund and need not accept alternatives it offers, including reroutes and credits. This has been DOT policy since 2011 and was reinforced by two Warning Letters issued by DOT to carriers in March and April of 2020 as the pandemic took hold. Nothing remotely suggests that you can have a do-over and, having accepted a credit, come back and have a refund. If DL wishes to grant this as a customer service gesture, it is free to do so. But, any suggestion that one may have this as a matter of DOT rule or contract is simply incorrect.
3. Those who suggest that DL has made a contract to fly you on a specific date and at a specific time, have failed to read the contract.

What OP is asking for is the benefit of an earlier lower fare 6 months later. Not a rebooking in IRROPS.

As a general matter, accepting a credit is a lousy deal. Not only are you making an interest-free loan, but you limit yourself in the future. Perhaps some other carrier has a better deal, routing, hard or soft product which was not available 6 months ago. With a refund, one simply purchases the new ticket on the new carrier. Or perhaps, now is not the time to travel, so the refund goes into the bank or into a new washing machine or whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.