Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I be reimbursed for airport transfer if the airline canceled the flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I be reimbursed for airport transfer if the airline canceled the flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't advise the use of public transport during the pandemic. It is an emergency backup for someone who has no alternatives.

A vastly reduced schedule with overcrowded trains resultant is not my idea of a good idea when an Uber will run $15-20.
Living I blocks from the Crystal City Metro rail station I can say that the DC Metro trains are not crowded. Rush hour frequency was actually reduced to match the midday frequency because so few people are riding trains. The problem seems to be that the few who are riding the trains either are not wearing masks, seem to have filthy masks, or have other/mental/emotional problems. I stopped riding the one stop to DCA (and now just walk to the airport) after people kept approaching me to ask for money. No thanks, it is a turnoff during non-pandemic times.

An a uber from Crystal City to DCA is about $12-15 right now so triple that from Union Station, especially with the US Capitol street closures and security.

In fact, for the OP, use PHL or BWI if you have to travel south for options. (I have heard from friends that Amtrak is fine to use.)
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dtwtransport
Living I blocks from the Crystal City Metro rail station I can say that the DC Metro trains are not crowded. Rush hour frequency was actually reduced to match the midday frequency because so few people are riding trains. The problem seems to be that the few who are riding the trains either are not wearing masks, seem to have filthy masks, or have other/mental/emotional problems. I stopped riding the one stop to DCA (and now just walk to the airport) after people kept approaching me to ask for money. No thanks, it is a turnoff during non-pandemic times.

An a uber from Crystal City to DCA is about $12-15 right now so triple that from Union Station, especially with the US Capitol street closures and security.

In fact, for the OP, use PHL or BWI if you have to travel south for options. (I have heard from friends that Amtrak is fine to use.)
Just to be clear:

1. An Uber from DCA to WAS will run $15-20. Not sure where you are getting what you came up with.
2. What street closures and security? Unless you are entering the Capitol, there are no current restrictions on vehicular traffic, nor have there been since January 22 (2 days after the innaugration).

I would advise against IAD as OP is trying to avoid a lousy ground transit JFK-EWR. Not sure that flying to IAD to catch an Uber to catch Amtrak is particularly nicer than what OP is looking at now.

My overall preference would be BWI because while BWI rail is not exactly on the airport grounds, it is close enough and avoids anything other than a 5-minute airport shuttle, unlike both PHL and DCA.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
A vastly reduced schedule with overcrowded trains resultant is not my idea of a good idea when an Uber will run $15-20.
I’ve been in DC the past several months and have been taking the Metro many of those days and the Metro has not been overly crowded. I’ve never not gotten a seat on the metro and that’s even taking multiple trains during rush hour and going to/thru L’Enfant.

That said, why anyone would fly into DCA to then take a train up to NYC is beyond me. While OP could possibly look at being rebooked out of and into JFK or even PHL, I have no idea how a JFK to EWR transfer would somehow be less preferable to flying into DCA instead of JFK to get back to EWR.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Just to be clear:

1. An Uber from DCA to WAS will run $15-20. Not sure where you are getting what you came up with.
2. What street closures and security? Unless you are entering the Capitol, there are no current restrictions on vehicular traffic, nor have there been since January 22 (2 days after the innaugration).

I would advise against IAD as OP is trying to avoid a lousy ground transit JFK-EWR. Not sure that flying to IAD to catch an Uber to catch Amtrak is particularly nicer than what OP is looking at now.

My overall preference would be BWI because while BWI rail is not exactly on the airport grounds, it is close enough and avoids anything other than a 5-minute airport shuttle, unlike both PHL and DCA.
DCA to Union Station would be more like $25-30 right now. $12-$15 from DCA to anywhere nearby in Arlington is quite accurate.

BWI is actually a good option but as you mentioned, it involves using the shuttle and the frequency might be reduced as well.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I’ve been in DC the past several months and have been taking the Metro many of those days and the Metro has not been overly crowded. I’ve never not gotten a seat on the metro and that’s even taking multiple trains during rush hour and going to/thru L’Enfant.

That said, why anyone would fly into DCA to then take a train up to NYC is beyond me. While OP could possibly look at being rebooked out of and into JFK or even PHL, I have no idea how a JFK to EWR transfer would somehow be less preferable to flying into DCA instead of JFK to get back to EWR.
JFK-EWR is a long and awful trip under best of circumstances. I've known AA flight crew to fly JFK-DCA-EWR and DL crew to do JFK-DTW-EWR simply to skip having to commute to EWR by road.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond - Marriott Titanium - Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What date are you looking to fly? We can see if there's a non-normal routing available.
I am flying on April 10th and I was originally arriving before 5pm in EWR.

Tickets are actually more expensive out of EWR compared to JFK and I paid $350 per person, 3-4 months ago. I am spending the night before the outbound at a friend living nearby EWR where I can leave the car.

I simply needed to be back in the afternoon in EWR, if I simulate a booking to find an alternative option, I only see a ABQ-ATL-EWR arriving around 11:30pm. The alternative routing to JFK looked to be the only option to arrive not too late from my original booking.

I live between SWF and AVP, which don't have flights anymore due to the pandemic. I was trying to avoid driving back at night that late.

Is it such a bad thing to ask Delta to cover an UBER between JFK and EWR since this is an IRROPS? Why do I have to incur in the extra cost of the transfer if it was not my fault?

Right now my itinerary is broken, I attached a screenshot.

Broken return
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I detailed my situation in the post #21 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33093121-post21.html
Why wouldn't my case be an IRROPS ? I attached a screenshot of the itinerary.

How would a refund solve the issue? So that I can pay more as current fares are going to be higher and less chance of being able to upgrade with certificates to OY...
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by andifax
I detailed my situation in the post #21 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33093121-post21.html
Why wouldn't my case be an IRROPS ? I attached a screenshot of the itinerary.

How would a refund solve the issue? So that I can pay more as current fares are going to be higher and less chance of being able to upgrade with certificates to OY...
It’s not IROPS as your flight is far in the future, not a same day issue.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you LondonElite
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have you called DL to ask?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Have you called DL to ask?
Not yet, I will give it a try, but I was first checking with the community here.

I used to be based in NCE and one time with AF/AZ I was rerouted to MRS, but the commute MRS-NCE by train was just 20EUR and I didn't even care to check with them. I tried to simulate JFK-EWR with UBER and it is around 120$ + tip.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by andifax
Not yet, I will give it a try, but I was first checking with the community here.

I used to be based in NCE and one time with AF/AZ I was rerouted to MRS, but the commute MRS-NCE by train was just 20EUR and I didn't even care to check with them. I tried to simulate JFK-EWR with UBER and it is around 120$ + tip.
In Europe, I believe EC261 would've required them to cover the MRS-NCE train. Different consumer/passenger regulations have different results.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am not sure if DL is willing to cover your ground transportation post-flight.

There is an easier solution. Take the refund from DL, and fly with a different carrier that would get you to EWR within your time desire - e.g. UA has an one-stop connection that would get you to EWR before 430pm (1630) - $119 Y (not basic economy) / $209 domestic F, at the time of this post.

With airlines consolidating their schedules, I'd look to making the experience as smooth as possible. Taking a car from JFK to EWR, only so you can drive back to SWF is not an ideal solution even if DL pays for the car ride between JFK and EWR. Right now you are relying on the airline to possibly make certain accommodations; instead, you can change the equation, so you are in control of your own accommodations along the way.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Cancelling for a refund and rebooking seems like the best idea here.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you looked at DL schedules into PHL rather than EWR? There's good public transportation from PHL to both EWR and Newark itself, starting with a suburban train station right at the airport, across the roadway from baggage claim. Service is frequent to Amtrak 30th Street Station, where you have lots of train options to NJ.

Otherwise, cancel for a refund if you're unhappy with DL's alternatives. [I'd be very surprised if DL were willing to pay for an Uber in these circumstances.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.