Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many Play the "Pay for the Upgrade It will be Cheaper" game?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many Play the "Pay for the Upgrade It will be Cheaper" game?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am just curious if I am the only one who gambles this way on Delta.

You buy the Main cabin ticket, in hopes that the upgrade offer is cheaper than the booking price for 1st.

Example: JFK SDQ on March 28th - April 26th, 6:59 PM departure $699 Round trip in 1st.

I purchased a coach seat for $393. During booking it said for 316 dollars more I could be upgraded to 1st I ignored that offer. After booking when I went to "My Trips" I was offered an upgrade to first for 109 each leg 218 total. Total Paid for First $611.

A savings of 88 dollars.

I have saved a lot of money this way even pre-pandemic. Although sometimes the upgrade isn't offered the same day you purchase the ticket, and there have been times I have had to pay 20 to 100 dollars more but overall I'm ahead.
Just did this for a trip to MCO in a few days.

Bought Y+ for $190. F at the time I got offered the upgrade was ~$800. I paid $74 each way so $338 for the trip in F, so I saved over $450 bucks.

Of course I had the exit rows on 757s so i had leg room for days if I wouldn't have been able to upgrade, but for 74 bucks a leg i figured what the hell.

I pretty much always go this route now.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Bought Y+ for $190. F at the time I got offered the upgrade was ~$800. I paid $74 each way so $338 for the trip in F, so I saved over $450 bucks.

Of course I had the exit rows on 757s so i had leg room for days if I wouldn't have been able to upgrade, but for 74 bucks a leg i figured what the hell.

To MCO but what origin?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Yeah I always take the exit row, I don't even request the C+ upgrade. But for the extra miles sometimes it's worth the upgrade.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by bsagator
To MCO but what origin?
Whoops. ATL

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Yeah I always take the exit row, I don't even request the C+ upgrade. But for the extra miles sometimes it's worth the upgrade.
The only issue with the exit row, and why i ended up doing the F upgrade, is if you get stuck in a seat with the IFE in the arm rest. I don't need the extra width but i will certainly take it for 74 bucks.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:39 am

I always try to avoid these because you lose the value of the upgrade fee if you subsequently have to change the ticket, something you don’t have to worry about if you book it into F properly. But sometimes the difference still makes it worth the risk for me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:19 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I always try to avoid these because you lose the value of the upgrade fee if you subsequently have to change the ticket, something you don’t have to worry about if you book it into F properly. But sometimes the difference still makes it worth the risk for me.
I have been successful in changing the ticket and getting rebooked on the same fare class as the upgraded ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

I avoid upgrading this way if possible because of this. You can call and make a fuss and speak with a supervisor and probably keep the value, but it's a pain and not guaranteed.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've never had an issue with losing the value when making a change. Only thing that happens sometimes is the system doesn't track and provide MQM and MQD for the buy-up segment.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
I've never had an issue with losing the value when making a change. Only thing that happens sometimes is the system doesn't track and provide MQM and MQD for the buy-up segment.
I had this happen for the first time last week. All MQMs and original RDM were posted in an entry, and then an additional entry in my miles statement shows: Seat Upgrade: Mileage and MQD with base miles + bonus miles.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
The question I have is whether there's any way to be alerted when there's a good pay-to-upgrade deal.

I'm looking at a flight I have booked next month. I can upgrade to F for "only" $349 per passenger. But if I change my ticket, the fare difference is $194 per passenger. If I didn't have 5 passengers on my reservation I might actually consider it.... Where are they coming up with this stuff?
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I have been successful in changing the ticket and getting rebooked on the same fare class as the upgraded ticket.
I second that I never had issues changing a ticket and losing the value of the upgrade or staying in the same fare class. Even pre covid.

The only time I didn't stay in the same fare class is when it was like a huge change on my part but the entire value of the ticket and the upgrade fee were used for the new ticket purchase and I wasn't charged a change fee.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
The question I have is whether there's any way to be alerted when there's a good pay-to-upgrade deal.

I'm looking at a flight I have booked next month. I can upgrade to F for "only" $349 per passenger. But if I change my ticket, the fare difference is $194 per passenger. If I didn't have 5 passengers on my reservation I might actually consider it.... Where are they coming up with this stuff?
One suspects that DL does personalized or targeted offers.

Sometimes but not always following the fare being offered for FC compared to the fare you paid indicates the FCM offer you'll see.

It's easy to keep checking the DL app on your phone. You can stay logged in, so you only need a couple taps to view the offer on your itinerary or the seat map for your flight.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: AC E50K, DL GM , Hyatt Glob.
Quick question: if you have a multi leg journey, how might one see the offer for each leg? I’ve got a short hop on the first leg that I’m not a fan of upgrading but the second longer leg is where I may consider a cash or points upgrade.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by rylan
I've never had an issue with the MQM/MQD portions posting. But I've always lost the value of the upgrade when making a change. That said, I'm pretty much always changing routing, dates, destinations, etc. as I'm not a "point A to point B" traveler generally. Maybe if you're changing it for new flights but on the same segments, the agents have some options. If changing to a new route, the value of the upgrade fee disappears when reticketed, every time IME.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by homegrowned
Quick question: if you have a multi leg journey, how might one see the offer for each leg? I’ve got a short hop on the first leg that I’m not a fan of upgrading but the second longer leg is where I may consider a cash or points upgrade.
I'd look at the cost of simply upfaring the entire ticket or at least all segments in the same direction (outbound vs return). In principle, when you upgrade only one segment, you're breaking the fare, which often is much more expensive. Whether FCM offers for individual segments would reflect this is unclear.
homegrowned likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.