Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

1st leg Economy, 2nd leg First and Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:14 am
Original Poster

I know this has been discussed in the past. I paid for an upgrade to first class on my second leg. The first leg is Economy. I've gotten two different answers from multiple Delta Reps.

Some say if the first leg is economy then theres no baggage allowance. Some say if the second leg is first the baggage
allowance applies to the first leg as well.. Who's right?
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The check in agent
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that your flight originates or terminates in the US, US law requires that your e-ticket receipt show your baggage allowance for each segment. What does yours show?

Presuming that you are connecting and not stopping over, you should receive the baggage allowance for F.

Youc an call DL as many times as you want, but your allowance will display on the check-in agent's screen as it does on your e-ticket receipt.
seawolf likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I didn't book the first class upgrade on the second leg yet as I was hoping someone who's done it before could chime in on how Delta handled their baggage.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by matt2212
I didn't book the first class upgrade on the second leg yet as I was hoping someone who's done it before could chime in on how Delta handled their baggage.
The most generous rule will apply, provided that you are in a single itinerary and with a connection (not a stopover).

Routinely, I get F allowance when at least one upgrade segment clears, no matter in which order.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SDQBound
The most generous rule will apply, provided that you are in a single itinerary and with a connection (not a stopover).

Routinely, I get F allowance when at least one upgrade segment clears, no matter in which order.
To be clear. Not just a single itinerary, but a single ticket.

In that case, the ticket is from A-C with a segment in F. Rather than multiple tickets booked into the same PNR/itinerary, where the Y allowance would apply to the Y ticket and F allowance to the F ticket.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound

Ok I'm going to give it a shot and I'll report back. Thanks..
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Agreed—I have always gotten the first baggage allowance with FCM and medallion upgrades when only one segment was in First.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Agree with others - you should receive the F baggage allowance even though your first segment is Y. If you checkin online (or on the app) it should auto recognize this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
if you log into your delta account and view your trip, it will show the details there. I have flown in this situation multiple times, being upgraded on a second leg, but not the first due to high volumes out of TPA. I always get the FC baggage allowance. You should even be able to check in with the priority check in counter...again that should be shown in your itinerary on the DL web site.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The above answers assume that both segments are DL or DL Connection operated. If you're starting with a coach segment on another carrier (codeshare or not), their rules could be different and would apply at check in.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
You get the F baggage allowance all the way through, even when doing a buy-up to first (not a comp upgrade). I used to do this as a non-status flyer when going PSC-SEA-BOS. Usually the FCM offer on PSC-SEA was super cheap, like $20-$30 and SEA-BOS would be expensive, like $200-$300. I would pay to upgrade on PSC-SEA and get the free checked bags, plus even sky priority perks the whole way through.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
You get the F baggage allowance all the way through, even when doing a buy-up to first (not a comp upgrade). I used to do this as a non-status flyer when going PSC-SEA-BOS. Usually the FCM offer on PSC-SEA was super cheap, like $20-$30 and SEA-BOS would be expensive, like $200-$300. I would pay to upgrade on PSC-SEA and get the free checked bags, plus even sky priority perks the whole way through.
You'll get it even with a free upgrade, but only if you've been upgraded before checking in

DL always goes by the highest cabin of any flight in the direction. Even if first flight is Y, the second flight confirmed in F will result in getting the F allowance.
MSPeconomist and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 4:49 pm

My daughter did a CHA-ATL- in economy and ATL-SEA in First for her honeymoon. She got 1st baggage allowance for the whole trip.
matt2212 likes this.

Last edited by stan1162; Feb 16, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:38 pm

I'm in a similar situation.

Flying from BWI to DTW Delta Comfort+ (S)
Then DTW - MEX First Class (D)

Will I get 2 free bags all the way to MEX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.