Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can main cabin tickets purchased with miles be upgraded to C+?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold

Can main cabin tickets purchased with miles be upgraded to Comfort+ as platinum members? My wife and I want to travel back to Cancun, as we have done several times in the past few months. We have up to now always purchased main cabin seats and then as platinum members, upgraded to Comfort+ immediately after booking. We have tons of miles, and with this COVID nonsense we can't see being able to use them for Europe or Asia travel in the forseeable future, or ever, as we always have done in the past. Is it allowable for us as platinum members to purchase main cabin tickets with miles and then immediately upgrade those tickets to C+ as we have always done with paid tickets? Upgrading to C+ is all we want to do, as purchasing FC with miles is out of the question with the atrocious FC service currently being offered. That would be a total waste of miles. Thanks.

Last edited by Kwaj boy; Jan 23, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as PM, you’re eligible for C+ upgrades at booking on **all** tickets, both revenue and award ... just make sure you check the “Request C+ Upgrade” box

you’ll get an upgrade email from DL shortly after the confirmation email for the initial booking
CO-PLAT and Hepsaint like this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
as PM, you’re eligible for C+ upgrades at booking on **all** tickets, both revenue and award ... just make sure you check the “Request C+ Upgrade” box

you’ll get an upgrade email from DL shortly after the confirmation email for the initial booking
Over the past few months all of my upgrades have gone to the gate...not at booking even when C+ was wide open.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
[QUOTE=Kwaj boy;32990097]Can main cabin tickets purchased with miles be upgraded to Comfort+ as platinum members?

I’m a PM. Just booked a ticket with miles and was immediately upgraded to C+.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM
If you are Platinum or Diamond, you are entitled to upgrade to C+ as long as there is not more than two people in the PNR and IF capacity controlled space is available. Sometimes, the system may not upgrade you right away. Just pull up the reservation at delta.com and click on the seat map. If it lets you select C+ seats, that means there is space available. That way you can choose the seats you want right away,
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would double check and make sure you both have your Skymiles number entered. This can inhibit upgrades (if companion does not have number entered).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
[QUOTE=gypsycsc;32990281]
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
Can main cabin tickets purchased with miles be upgraded to Comfort+ as platinum members?

I’m a PM. Just booked a ticket with miles and was immediately upgraded to C+.
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about letting "the system" upgrade us to C+. C+ upgrades can also be done by simply actively going into the reservation immediately after booking is completed and selecting C+ seats on the seat map. This is what we have done on all of our recent revenue bookings, and I wanted to confirm that we can do the same on a miles booking in main cabin. And yes, we are both platinum.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that C+ requires upgrade inventory availability. It's not guaranteed, even if there are empty C+ seats available.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that C+ requires upgrade inventory availability. It's not guaranteed, even if there are empty C+ seats available.
This has NEVER been an issue with paid main cabin fares. In every instance, if a C+ seat shows as open on the seat map I have been able to select that seat immediately after booking. Every single time.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This has NEVER been an issue with paid main cabin fares. In every instance, if a C+ seat shows as open on the seat map I have been able to select that seat immediately after booking. Every single time.
There is no difference between paid and award tickets in this respect - your fare class has no bearing on upgrade space.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree with MSP here. There must be C+ UG inventory. While I’d say 80% of my flights have allowed me to select a C+ seat immediately after booking as a PM, there have been a few instances where only a few C+ seats remained, and my UG didn’t clear until closer to departure or until at the gate. And with Covid limitations UG inventory has definitely been YMMV lately.

But to answer your original question, yes, Main Cabin can be upgraded to C+ when purchased with miles.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
But to answer your original question, yes, Main Cabin can be upgraded to C+ when purchased with miles.
Thanks.

I guess that I have been very fortunate. My last 8 revenue round trips since late July 2020 (4 round trips to CUN, 2 round trips to LAS, 1 round trip to ANC and 1 round trip to PUJ) I've been able to upgrade to C+ immediately after booking main cabin simply by going into the seat maps and selecting C+ seats. Every C+ seat that I saw as open and that I selected was available for both of us (just me on the ANC flights since that was a business trip). In those 8 reservations I've yet to see a seat show as available in the seat map that I couldn't select. Maybe all of those seats were upgrade seats.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

I guess that I could have dug into Delta's web site. It states:

For Delta Comfort+® upgrades, Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will be upgraded to Delta Comfort+® shortly after ticketing, if available. If the upgrade doesn’t clear right away but seats are showing as available in the seat map, the Diamond or Platinum Medallion Member can self-select their upgrade by visiting the seat map and choosing an open seat of their preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.