Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's A321 rear lavatory/galley layout is horrible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler

Is it possible for Delta to modify existing A321's and change future A321 deliveries to fix what many believe to be multiple drawbacks to Delta's layout ?
Even before Covid-19 flight attendants, other passengers and myself noticed the horrid layout of having the galley and lavatory mixed together...it's like having a bathroom in the middle of your kitchen.

Other domestic operators of the A321 like American and Spirit have the more standard rear lav's opposite of each other and the galley where the flight attendant's sit and distribute food and beverages separated. The A321 seems to be a 757 replacement so why can't the layout be similar for Delta (it is over at American and Spirit and countless other carriers). Watch what happens when a large overweight individual goes back there...the flight attendant's have to move. It is really demoralizing for larger people.

Delta's version is just so cheap since the purpose is to cram more seats in.

In the covid-19 era which is here for to stay for quite a while, the congestion in that part of the plane on like ATL-LAS or ATL-LAX is crazy even with the current seat reductions.
It's nothing like a 777 or 767-300 or even a 757 on those route's where creature comforts for bodily functions are still available..

The A321 is a great airplane...I would hope Delta would consider making it a little better and safer and sanitary for the passengers and it's employees.
pfreet likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by robnsfla
Is it possible for Delta to modify existing A321's and change future A321 deliveries to fix what many believe to be multiple drawbacks to Delta's layout ?
Even before Covid-19 flight attendants, other passengers and myself noticed the horrid layout of having the galley and lavatory mixed together...it's like having a bathroom in the middle of your kitchen.

Other domestic operators of the A321 like American and Spirit have the more standard rear lav's opposite of each other and the galley where the flight attendant's sit and distribute food and beverages separated. The A321 seems to be a 757 replacement so why can't the layout be similar for Delta (it is over at American and Spirit and countless other carriers). Watch what happens when a large overweight individual goes back there...the flight attendant's have to move. It is really demoralizing for larger people.

Delta's version is just so cheap since the purpose is to cram more seats in.

In the covid-19 era which is here for to stay for quite a while, the congestion in that part of the plane on like ATL-LAS or ATL-LAX is crazy even with the current seat reductions.
It's nothing like a 777 or 767-300 or even a 757 on those route's where creature comforts for bodily functions are still available..

The A321 is a great airplane...I would hope Delta would consider making it a little better and safer and sanitary for the passengers and it's employees.
There's a bathroom back there???? Is that where all of the people who pass me after I have boarded are going?

Come on, be serious. the lav is behind a closed door, near the galley. I am fairly confident that the layout was designed with food safety as a consideration. Having the toilet behind the door at the entrance to the galley doesn't move it any farther away than having it behind a door behind the galley. Find something important to worry about.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:41 pm

...it's like having a bathroom in the middle of your kitchen.
Except there are no kitchens on airplanes...particularly at the back of an Airbus A321. No one is back there handling food. Everything is pre-packaged in sealed containers.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:33 pm

They intentionally chose the Space Flex lavs lol. There's nothing to fix in their minds.

Other domestic operators of the A321 like American and Spirit have the more standard rear lav's opposite of each other and the galley where the flight attendant's sit and distribute food and beverages separated.
I'm almost certain Spirit is also using the same Space Flex bathrooms as Delta.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
They intentionally chose the Space Flex lavs lol. There's nothing to fix in their minds.

Yeah, pretty much every airline is shying away from the conventional full rear galley configurations on the A320 family. Spirit, JetBlue, Delta, Frontier, and United are currently using the aft Galley/Lav config known as SpaceFlex and on the A321 ACF. Across the Atlantic, SpaceFlex is pretty much standard on the full services carriers.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do Spirit aircraft have galleys? I would assume not, but I'be never gone near a Spirit flight. The same for Frontier.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do Spirit aircraft have galleys? I would assume not, but I'be never gone near a Spirit flight. The same for Frontier.
They still need a place to store all the Buy-on-Board lol
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would assume so based on the BOB program they have; that they need galley space to store the items. What they most likely won't have is ovens.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Are "Space flex" lavs anything like the tiny 24" lavs that AA started installing?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:23 pm

I actually like it. Its a great excuse to talk to the FA's while you wait so that when you come out there is another drink and snacks waiting for you I miss flying
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Except there are no kitchens on airplanes...particularly at the back of an Airbus A321.
Off topic, but this reminds me of the days when Midwest (and I believe Frontier for a short time after Midwest folded into Frontier) had an oven and used to bake cookies and walk down the aisle with trays stacked high with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies! The smell in the cabin when they turned the ovens on was heavenly!
writerguyfl and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Are "Space flex" lavs anything like the tiny 24" lavs that AA started installing?
Pretty much, yes they are the same, if not maybe a little smaller. I've found no issue using them and try not to spend a lot of time in there anyway. For customers of size, they can always use the mid-cabin lav or first class lav.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
For customers of size, they can always use the mid-cabin lav or first class lav.
Not if an FTer is on the flight in F...
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj

Thankfully the 321NEOs will have a full galley with lavs just forward of the galley.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
They still need a place to store all the Buy-on-Board lol
Right! They need more room for BOB. Those passengers want to buy a snacks or sandwiches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.