Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is my partner earning math correct for status challenge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Quick background - though I used to be a Delta GM, I haven't been in a few years. I've done one status match with DL before, but it was maybe 8 or so years ago, and it would appear I'd qualify for another.

I'm currently a Plat on AA. Looking at this , it would appear I can requst a challenge to GM, a secure it with 12,500 MQMs, and $1,500 MQD.

In March, I have a LAX>LIM RT planned on AeroMexico. GreatCircle Mapper shows that as 8,364 miles, round trip. Since the flight is marketed by AM, *if* I understand correctly, DL would credit 40% of that, or $3,346 as MDQ - did I parse everything correctly?

Since I'm booked into discounted J, it would appear I'd get 150% of acutal miles (8,364, it appears), or 12,546, credited as MQM? Did I do that correctly?

It seems like putting in for the status challenge just before then would get me to Gold again with just that one AM trip?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:50 am
Suspended

Your math looks right, but what you took out of gcmap.com does not. To me, gcmap provides 4,167 mi. So 3x that is 12,501 mi.

While still above the threshold, this is about as close as it gets. I would try to double-check what DL actually credits on this route as it can sometimes differ by a few miles from the great-circle distance as computed by gcmap...
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
Your math looks right, but what you took out of gcmap.com does not. To me, gcmap provides 4,167 mi. So 3x that is 12,501 mi.

While still above the threshold, this is about as close as it gets. I would try to double-check what DL actually credits on this route as it can sometimes differ by a few miles from the great-circle distance as computed by gcmap...
OP's numbers are correct as you are neglecting to consider the connection in MEX.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks much, xliioper and Comatose.Captain .

As an aside, I realized I took the LAX>MEX portion of this trip, also in AM discounted biz, earlier in the year - so I went back and looked at how I was credited at least for that portion. Looks like the math is pretty close to reality, so this'll be a nice way to end up as gold next year.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you sure the status challenge counts partner flights or just those that are operated and/or marketed by DL?
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure the status challenge counts partner flights or just those that are operated and/or marketed by DL?
I believe so, from this page, specifically "What flights can I earn MQMs, MQSs or MQDs on for this challenge?", it says:

"MQMs, MQSs and MQDs earned on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights will count towards this challenge. MQMs, MQSs and MQDs may also be earned on partner airline flights that are eligible to earn MQMs, MQSs and MQDs. Visit Airline Partners to learn more about what flights qualify."

Clicking the airline partners link is actually where I found the earning table for AeroMexico.

EDIT: My flights are marketed by AM. I'm trying to find where, but, prior to posting this question, I found something the the Delta T&Cs that indicated it was still acceptable.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:10 pm

When I did the "restore my status" thing they counted AF flights FWIW.
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL generally counts all MQM unlike other airlines that generally limit.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL generally counts all MQM unlike other airlines that generally limit.
I have the impression that not all status challenges use the same rules, particularly if we're talking about those arranged by an employer as part of a corporate travel contract. It's always a good idea for everyone to check the T&Cs of their own particular approved status challenge carefully.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have the impression that not all status challenges use the same rules, particularly if we're talking about those arranged by an employer as part of a corporate travel contract. It's always a good idea for everyone to check the T&Cs of their own particular approved status challenge carefully.
Agree. I'm just making a general observation that DL in general, unlike others airlines count all flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.