Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Drops 72 Hour Rule for Award Cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Drops 72 Hour Rule for Award Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
72 hour rule is no longer in place. Did you try doing it online first?
Online it said all miles will be forfeited upon cancellation. That’s why I called in. I had a MC ticket upgraded at booking to C+. It was not BE.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Online it said all miles will be forfeited upon cancellation. That’s why I called in. I had a MC ticket upgraded at booking to C+. It was not BE.
Where did ticket originate?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where did ticket originate?
Domestic 48 USA to domestic 48 USA. Main cabin not BE. Seems an easy workaround to just exchange it into the future for any dummy dates with the same mileage cost then just cancel it.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Domestic 48 USA to domestic 48 USA. Main cabin not BE. Seems an easy workaround to just exchange it into the future for any dummy dates with the same mileage cost then just cancel it.
Agent was wrong.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:11 am

This is both good and bad. It increases the motivation for speculative bookings. I can now book 3 outbound flights and 3 return flights and then just decide at the last minute (instead of 3 days before) which ones I will take and as a PM or DM get a full refund for the others. This hogs the cheapest inventory from others.
I wouldn't recommend this... Probably won't get caught but if you are doing this on every trip you take I think there is a chance that Delta notices...
Old Feb 12, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Something isn't right here. I have now cancelled mileage flights within 72 hours. I do find though that if you have to cancel within 24 hours, the website gives you an error - I have called in those cases and have had no issues
Old Feb 12, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC

This is both good and bad. It increases the motivation for speculative bookings. I can now book 3 outbound flights and 3 return flights and then just decide at the last minute (instead of 3 days before) which ones I will take and as a PM or DM get a full refund for the others. This hogs the cheapest inventory from others.
I agree and why the rule started, with that being said if I could actually find lots of rewards at decent valuations I would not have to book multiple tickets wait for a schedule change and then get the times I want.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Any resolutions on the issue? If I book a last minute award ticket (as PM) and then cancel before departure am I still in the clear to get the miles back?

Currently booked on UA out of LGA but they are looking for volunteers and the DL flight a 90 minutes later still has a low award redemption price so wouldn't mind volunteering but still getting the flight home tonight. Of course if they don't end of needing volunteers would want to cancel the DL ticket and be able to redeposit without issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.