Wiki Posts
Search

Delta IFE Selection During COVID

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Delta IFE Selection During COVID

Hi everyone,

I've flown Delta three times since the start of COVID (JFK-SEA, SEA-JFK and LGA-FLL). July, September and November respectively. All three times, it seemed as though the selection of seatback movies was unchanged since just before COVID (i.e the "newest" releases were added to the system at the start of March).

I was recently on a JetBlue flight where they had very recent movie releases. Anyone know if Delta is planning to refresh their IFE titles anytime soon? I'm flying them again later this month.

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danwer930
Hi everyone,

I've flown Delta three times since the start of COVID (JFK-SEA, SEA-JFK and LGA-FLL). July, September and November respectively. All three times, it seemed as though the selection of seatback movies was unchanged since just before COVID (i.e the "newest" releases were added to the system at the start of March).

I was recently on a JetBlue flight where they had very recent movie releases. Anyone know if Delta is planning to refresh their IFE titles anytime soon? I'm flying them again later this month.

Thanks!
I was flying last night and noticed the same thing. I'm pretty sure the IFE hasn't changed at all since March.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by danwer930
Anyone know if Delta is planning to refresh their IFE titles anytime soon? I'm flying them again later this month.

Thanks!
No, this is one of DLs COVID cost cutting measures.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
In addition, it seems that the entertainment available through GoGo is essentially nonexistent (movies and TV shows have been pulled).

UPDATE: As suggested out by MSPeconomist--I was referring to Delta Studio having no content (not GoGo). In-flight WiFi works fine to access Delta.com for free.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by tardyturtle; Dec 8, 2020 at 7:08 pm
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Boarding music unchanged since March. Seatback IFE unchanged since March. Streaming IFE eliminated. Expect the current safety video to run for years.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
In addition, it seems that the entertainment available through GoGo is essentially nonexistent (movies and TV shows have been pulled).
Do you mean GoGo (internet provider) or Delta Studio (entertainment)? I watch Delta Studio without buying GoGo, and it should also be possible to access delta.dumb (I.e., to check on IROPs or flight status for connecting flights while in the middle of a flight) without buying GoGo.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:28 pm

To be fair, there haven't been many new movie releases since March.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
As long as they keep middle seats open and 50% capacity in first class I won't complain one bit. Sure, it's nice to have food and entertainment provided on board, but these are both very easy things to bring with you.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
As long as they keep middle seats open and 50% capacity in first class I won't complain one bit. Sure, it's nice to have food and entertainment provided on board, but these are both very easy things to bring with you.
Every DL operated transcon flight I have flown the last few months, D1 is full, and I am not complaining of few paid seats and upgrades even for lower tier members.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Every DL operated transcon flight I have flown the last few months, D1 is full, and I am not complaining of few paid seats and upgrades even for lower tier members.
Yes, D1 is sold at 100% presumably because the cabins are already much more spaced out, and seats have partitions. I was speaking about first class.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had a DL (well Skywest operated) flight a couple weeks ago where I got to choose between the Oscar nominated "A New Standard of Clean" and the oft snubbed short film "Keeping Aircraft Cabin Air Safe".

Watching paint dry would have been an improvement! My mainline flights had the same selection more/less as flights in the spring.
DLASflyer and rkoechel like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes, D1 is sold at 100% presumably because the cabins are already much more spaced out, and seats have partitions. I was speaking about first class.
Not close to selling 100%; mostly upgrades. 752s are 2-2 mich like F seats on 738/9s, for example; as are some 763 middle seats.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We've had three or four threads/discussions about this. DL just isnt updating the library. My guess is holding off paying next rounds of licensing fees .
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M2578Z
To be fair, there haven't been many new movie releases since March.
Fair point, but even switching up the selection of "classics", plugging in the slightly newer releases (Feb/Mar theatrical releases), or adding some new episodes of the TV shows would be a welcome change, and I assume not a big financial hit.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
If you’re on an RJ you’re out of luck as they removed all content from the streaming DL Studio via WiFi.

Never thought AA would be leading DL on entertainment of all things (let alone F&B offerings).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.