Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Thanksgiving 2020 Operational Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Thanksgiving 2020 Operational Issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I love the headline paired with the first bullet point.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Midnight eastern and only one Delta flight has been pre-canceled for today (Sunday). Hopefully the worst of this is over.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 9:40 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I had to call Delta to cancel a flight on Thanksgiving. The phone agent said "we have tons of pilots out sick right now, and its causing a meltdown for us."

Diamond hold time was about 20 minutes to get thru to an agent.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
We really got lucky, We were not on Delta mainline, but rather Skywest, Republic and Endeavor for our itinerary IAD-DTW-CLE-DTW-IAD. All of our flights pushed back early and arrived early; we arrived at IAD a whole 30 minutes prior to scheduled arrival (actual 2201, scheduled 2231).

Delta went to 75% capacity in F on its regional jets, although on the DTW-IAD last night there were only my wife, myself and one other passenger in F, with nobody on the upgrade list (and maybe 20 people on the flight total). On Thursday morning, the flights were were on ended up going out close to capacity. And the CLE-DTW flight last night seemed also to be close to capacity.

Dasani has disappeared from Delta; it has been replaced by 8 fl. oz. bottles of "Niagara purified drinking water" supplied by Niagara Bottling of Diamond Bar, California.

The DTW SkyClub (A40) has now installed a bar where the self-service adult beverages once were, There were lines of 8-10 people at times, with only one bartender.

I'm now within 11,376 MQMs of the magic 3 MM. Will Delta stay in business long enough for me to make it? I don't have any scheduled travel the rest of 2020.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ND76

I'm now within 11,376 MQMs of the magic 3 MM. Will Delta stay in business long enough for me to make it? I don't have any scheduled travel the rest of 2020.
If you spend enough on a DL Amex you can get your 11,376 MQMs without getting on a plane. These count for MM status.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
CNBC reporting that DL cancelling some flights T'giving weekend due to pilot shortage

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/27/pilo...ing-break.html
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
JonNYC has posted an Interesting update on twitter on this topic:
ekozie, DLASflyer, jj243 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99
JonNYC has posted an Interesting update on twitter on this topic:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1...513958912?s=09
Sounds like from reading this that a high number of pilots are out sick from having caught covid. I guess the cockpit is an easy place to catch covid if one of the two has it the other will very likely catch it.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Sounds like from reading this that a high number of pilots are out sick from having caught covid. I guess the cockpit is an easy place to catch covid if one of the two has it the other will very likely catch it.
Perhaps...but the main reason is that due to COVID, pilots have a lot lighter schedule, have been bored and are have been filling that schedule with very risky activities. I have two friends that are pilots for another airline and knowing what they have been doing to fill their time, I won't see them or anyone that has come in contact with them until I am vaccinated.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I actually feel like, as far as positions on the plane go, pilots should be the least likely group to experience CV transmission.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
I actually feel like, as far as positions on the plane go, pilots should be the least likely group to experience CV transmission.
You would think so but it comes down to personal choices and what people are doing in their free time outside of the workplace that can affect what’s happening in the flight deck if one was to contract the virus.

Pilots on average work four to five rotations per month so they have the opportunity to work with 4-12 different pilots at a given month.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:33 am

Memo from John Laughter, Senior Vice President of Flight Operations:
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
My TPA-SLC flight was cancelled last Friday as part of this mess, was rebooked TPA-ATL-SEA but lost my RPU'd upgrade and chose not to fly on DL (went on the AS nonstop instead). Received this message yesterday (including the typos). No compensation in hand yet, but will be interested to see what I receive.

Dear hamburgler,
Here at Delta, you come first, which is why we want to apologize for the travel disruption you experienced during the Thanksgiving week. Reliability and providing excellent customer service are very important to us, and this week we fell short of our standards. We know that an unexpected change to your holiday or business travel was neither the experience you expected, nor the experience we wanted to provide. Please know we are working to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future. To help make things right, we will be issuing compensation via the email address or SkyMiles account we have on file in your reservation within the next week If you need ongoing support for your current travel, please Message Us and a Delta representative will gladly take care of you. Once again, we're sorry for the disruption you experienced. Please know that we're doing everything possible to ensure your future travels with us are the best yet. Sincerely, Your Delta Family
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cmd320
It is likely the positions not on the plane that cause transmission.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:06 pm

I have yet to see a pilot wear a mask in the cockpit. They seem to put them on when they step out.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Dec 1, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.