Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

United confirms return to JFK--DL response?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent

United has released details on its return to JFK, competing with AA/DL/B6 initially with two daily flights on it's most premium configured 767s to both LAX and SFO (offering Polaris seats and premium economy).

UA returns to JFK

Game on for DL to upgrade its offering and/or (finally initiate ORD from LAX or BOS-SFO once again)?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I feel like throwing more capacity at JFK just for the sake of it would probably be a money loser, unfortunately.

In theory, DL could try to retaliate by adding service to EWR to try and chip away at UA there (no doubt DL must have at least a moderate FF base in NJ, if nothing else but a halo effect of their overall presence at LGA/JFK), but given that they couldn't even make EWR-AMS/CDG work, and VS just pulled out of EWR-LHR, I have to wonder if that's really much of an opportunity, either. DL did recently renovate the SkyClub at EWR, and it's definitely pretty nice, but I'm not sure that's reason enough to be a platform for expanding EWR service.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Cory6188
I feel like throwing more capacity at JFK just for the sake of it would probably be a money loser, unfortunately.

In theory, DL could try to retaliate by adding service to EWR to try and chip away at UA there (no doubt DL must have at least a moderate FF base in NJ, if nothing else but a halo effect of their overall presence at LGA/JFK), but given that they couldn't even make EWR-AMS/CDG work, and VS just pulled out of EWR-LHR, I have to wonder if that's really much of an opportunity, either. DL did recently renovate the SkyClub at EWR, and it's definitely pretty nice, but I'm not sure that's reason enough to be a platform for expanding EWR service.
Agree that more capacity at EWR and/or JFK would be unwise and are unlikely to be part of any DL response.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Would DL at least dump the snack boxes (in favor of plated hot meals) on these routes as a response?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle

EWR Skyclub is one of the better ones in the system in my opinion. Hope it opens again soon
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I don't see any real response. EWR is hated by everyone. Even if you exclude the state of EWR, getting there is a nightmare, usually an expensive one at that. UA is doing these solo flights exactly because leaving JFK was a bust. VS left I think more because without CO as a partner it was always an oddball. I think it only lasted so long because of the legacy of when VS and CO were partners.

As for JFK, there will always be demand for transcontinental premium services.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC

I could see some miscellaneous domestic routes, but overall why bother. I find EWR at times to be a better option, but that is strictly speaking related to domestic flights.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Delta will continue flying coffin-equipped 767s and catering to lovers of Dasani and Cheez-Its.
davedeboston, 15cats and Thysk like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
If Delta is serious about responding, they'd deploy the newly configured 764s on the route rather than the coffin-class 763s.
audidudi likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by A321neo
If Delta is serious about responding, they'd deploy the newly configured 764s on the route rather than the coffin-class 763s.
I just don't see this as a threat to DL. These will be origin/destination flights for any UA passengers. This limits usefulness for most passengers. If there's any IRROPS, passengers will need to trek over to EWR. ETC...
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like they're trying to push in and be positioned to poach some premium tcon business travel whenever that returns. Opportunistic gamble as competitors are not in a position to really respond so who knows it may eventually pay off.

I'd imagine these flights will be pretty empty for the first few months to start especially if covid travel restrictions remain in place for NY.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I just don't see this as a threat to DL. These will be origin/destination flights for any UA passengers. This limits usefulness for most passengers. If there's any IRROPS, passengers will need to trek over to EWR. ETC...
UA yes, though there are a number of Star Alliance partners at JFK.

I sort of think this is more of a threat to AA than DL (under normal circumstances of course) who will now have the weakest J product on the route, though they will also be the only one offering F.

Do we have any idea what kind of lounge UA plans to use?
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What terminal will UA use at JFK? A while ago, LH had a nice lounge in T4 and IIRC there's also a PP lounge there, in addition to the wonderful AmEx Centurion lounge. For a couple flights, the obvious choices for UA would be some convenient gently located *A partner or contract lounge.

My guess is that the new UA flights are oriented toward TATL connections, including onto partners, and elites (hopefully many business travelers) wanting the nonstop tcon routes on "their" airline.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What terminal will UA use at JFK? A while ago, LH had a nice lounge in T4 and IIRC there's also a PP lounge there, in addition to the wonderful AmEx Centurion lounge. For a couple flights, the obvious choices for UA would be some convenient gently located *A partner or contract lounge.

My guess is that the new UA flights are oriented toward TATL connections, including onto partners, and elites (hopefully many business travelers) wanting the nonstop tcon routes on "their" airline.
They will be back in T7.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:43 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Terminal 7 according to their press release, which would require a terminal change to connect to most partners.

Any use for TATL connections would be pretty marginal, since LAX/SFO-FRA (or other direct flights to Europe) is always going to be shorter and faster than any East Coast connection, and there are more options via EWR to all of United's and some other partner destinations.
PurdueFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.