Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SweetWater Brewing Company Purchased Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt

Figured this was as good a place as any to share the news! Missed the opportunity to post at 4:20 by a few hours! :-0)

https://www.brewbound.com/news/sweet...company-aphria

Other sites have more - colorfully titled - articles if you like that sort of thing!
In2ishn and Bago'peanuts like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
A more polished press release:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301166616.html

I like the beer but find their packaging/branding to be a bit unkeeping with the premium experience Delta goes for.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is DL's involvement?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I like the beer but find their packaging/branding to be a bit unkeeping with the premium experience Delta goes for.
Seriously, faulting can art now?

I used to like Sweetwater more, but I don't like the way they've gone with all their hemp inspired beers and IPAs. Even 420 and the regular IPA... they were good early on as one of the first, large independent microbreweries in the Southeast, and with DL's allegiance to them being ATL based I don't see them changing it up anytime soon. But there are beers that I enjoy a lot more. But one could say that about flying UA and the ubiquitous 312 that they cater. I don't love it, but I don't mind it, and it's a ton better than just having Miller/Coors/etc. on board.
dtwlarry, strickerj, ND76 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
What is DL's involvement?
"In addition to its traditional distribution footprint, SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale and IPA are served on all Delta Air Lines flights nationwide plus internationally totaling more than 50 countries across six continents which has served to extend SweetWater's brand reach on both a national and international level."
dtwlarry and HDQDD like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck

I used to like Sweetwater more, but I don't like the way they've gone with all their hemp inspired beers and IPAs. Even 420 and the regular IPA... they were good early on as one of the first, large independent microbreweries in the Southeast, and with DL's allegiance to them being ATL based I don't see them changing it up anytime soon. But there are beers that I enjoy a lot more. But one could say that about flying UA and the ubiquitous 312 that they cater. I don't love it, but I don't mind it, and it's a ton better than just having Miller/Coors/etc. on board.
Yep, 420 used to be better when it was brewed at the old brewery off Fulton Industrial.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by krazykanuck

I really wish DL would pick a better craft beer option on their flights, especially with no Woodford these days. Sweetwater isn't bad, but in the increasingly crowded craft beer market, there a so many better options, even from ATL/Georgia. I think it would really cool if the catering at each hub featured local brews from that area.

Last year, my wife and I flew MSP-SMF with SY (Sun Country) since it was about $150 cheaper than DL, even after paying for a "Best" seat (front of the plane, 34" pitch, premium drink included) and baggage. For beer on board, they had Surly Furious IPA, which IMO, is one of the best American IPAs out there. If DL had Furious on MSP flights, I would go out of my way to connect in MSP.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by TuxTom
I really wish DL would pick a better craft beer option on their flights, especially with no Woodford these days. Sweetwater isn't bad, but in the increasingly crowded craft beer market, there a so many better options, even from ATL/Georgia. I think it would really cool if the catering at each hub featured local brews from that area.

Last year, my wife and I flew MSP-SMF with SY (Sun Country) since it was about $150 cheaper than DL, even after paying for a "Best" seat (front of the plane, 34" pitch, premium drink included) and baggage. For beer on board, they had Surly Furious IPA, which IMO, is one of the best American IPAs out there. If DL had Furious on MSP flights, I would go out of my way to connect in MSP.
One thing that has to be considered here are production numbers. SW churns out a TON of beer and has continuously added capacity. Couple that with the fact that it's Delta (no offense to Sun Country) and smaller breweries would struggle to meet the capacity. Yes, flight numbers/capacity are reduced right now, but pre-Covid the only local brewery I could see even potentially keeping pace is Terrapin and they were "invested in" by a major brewer years and years ago.

There are obviously a ton of craft options around Atlanta, but they would need to continue to meet non-flight market demands (on-premise/off-premise) in addition to delivering to DL.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt

Originally Posted by dcadwell
One thing that has to be considered here are production numbers. SW churns out a TON of beer and has continuously added capacity. Couple that with the fact that it's Delta (no offense to Sun Country) and smaller breweries would struggle to meet the capacity. Yes, flight numbers/capacity are reduced right now, but pre-Covid the only local brewery I could see even potentially keeping pace is Terrapin and they were "invested in" by a major brewer years and years ago.

There are obviously a ton of craft options around Atlanta, but they would need to continue to meet non-flight market demands (on-premise/off-premise) in addition to delivering to DL.
I think the idea TuxTom is presenting is each major hub (or near major), if they can, support a local craft/micro for flights departing. Meaning DTW would serve Bell's or Atwater or Motor City brews, MSP would serve Furious, and reaching here...any departure from the Dairy State would have New Glarus Spotted Cow. Again, who's leaving from ORD when they can depart from MKE with a Spotted Cow PDB?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think it would really cool if the catering at each hub featured local brews from that area.
I believe UA was doing this to an extent pre-COVID. Out of IAH you could find St. Arnolds, DEN they catered New Belgium IIRC, in addition to 312 which of course was a Chicago microbrewer before selling out to ABInbev.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
At least it wasn't InBev.

SW has resisted being absorbed by the borg.

As to better craft beers... it would be nice if SW's 420 Strain G13 IPA were available in the clubs or on DL flights.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by dcadwell

I know in the past, at least according to the inflight service threads here, DL has included beers like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada depending on the route, but it always seemed incredibly inconsistent. Of course, DL's last flight fuel menu from March makes no mentions of those even, but those breweries are substantially larger than SW and would be a great addition on board. Sure, there's the Atlanta connection between DL and Sweetwater, but I would rather the quality of the product to come first, and it's location come second.

That said, if they offered more regional craft beers based on the hub, I think they would be able find breweries with large enough production to keep up. At DTW, for example, Michigan's two largest craft breweries, Founders and Bells, each brewed nearly a half million barrels in 2019. For ATL, the press release above says SW brewed nearly 261k barrels last year, while Terrapin was around 90k. However, Terrapin is owned by Tenth and Blake, MolsonCoors craft division, so they would be in a position to grow faster than most if there was a market for it.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:40 pm

[QUOTE=TuxTom;32797802]I really wish DL would pick a better craft beer option on their flights, especially with no Woodford these days....

WHAT???!!! NO WOODFORD???!!! Guess this shows how long it's been since I've been off the ground....
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB
WHAT???!!! NO WOODFORD???!!! Guess this shows how long it's been since I've been off the ground....
Ha, yes, it's rough out there. Beer and wine only right now. No soda, juice, coffee etc... and NO WOODFORD

Last edited by TuxTom; Nov 5, 2020 at 3:06 pm
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:48 pm

That said, if they offered more regional craft beers based on the hub, I think they would be able find breweries with large enough production to keep up. At DTW, for example, Michigan's two largest craft breweries, Founders and Bells, each brewed nearly a half million barrels in 2019. For ATL, the press release above says SW brewed nearly 261k barrels last year, while Terrapin was around 90k. However, Terrapin is owned by Tenth and Blake, MolsonCoors craft division, so they would be in a position to grow faster than most if there was a market for it.
Terrapin Hopsecutioner would be a wonderful alternative if Delta finds Sweetwater's new owner's primary business off-putting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.