Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Aborted Landing Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
Without context of the violations of other carriers, this is not a useful statistic. There's a lot of anti-Japanese propaganda in China.
It's is a very useful stat. No airline normally will have any, but for one airline to have six in a short time frame is quite amazing . This is same company that recently had a pilot detained 10x the legal BAC.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I was on DL 588 that day

I was on DL 588 PVG-SEA that day, which departs an hour later than the DTW flight.
Our departure was delayed for about 30 min. The captain said something about airport moving all departing traffic to one runway, and our departure slot was moved back. Noting dramatic in his tone at all, and I thought nothing of it at the time.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Friend of mine was a flight attendant on that flight. He said tires and brakes were replaced but still didn't pass inspection so more tires and brakes are needed now. Still a sitting duck there
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Never mind.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ethernal
Without context of the violations of other carriers, this is not a useful statistic. There's a lot of anti-Japanese propaganda in China.
Yes, they doesn't listen and they break the rules. They should listening to air traffic control. They must obey the regulations.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Apparently JL is a frequent violator at PVG. According to an article six times in last two years.
Yes, they break the rules. They doesn't listen to air traffic control. That's why they got too many violations. That's a problem.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
That N501DN A350 had technical issues. I was on it just 4 days ago from LAX to PVG - delayed 2 hours at LAX and no one bother to explain the technical issue. During take off at LAX, the plane was very rough and bumpy on the ground. Same issue during landing at PVG, so I don't think it's an uneven runaway issue. Glad they replace the tired and brakes... Speaking of which, Delta didn't spend the money to pay for multilingual signage for the cabin, so the crew put up some duck tape with handwritten Chinese explain how to open the restroom door and where to flush, etc. It's comical to see a new aircraft already looking unprofessional...

Last edited by wlau; Nov 15, 2018 at 1:54 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wlau
That N501DN A350 had technical issues. I was on it just 4 days ago from LAX to PVG - delayed 2 hours at LAX and no one bother to explain the technical issue. During take off at LAX, the plane was very rough and bumpy on the ground. Same issue during landing at PVG, so I don't think it's a runaway issue. Glad they replace the tired and brakes... Speaking of which, Delta didn't spend the money to pay for multilingual signage for the cabin, so the crew put up some duck tape with handwritten Chinese explain how to open the restroom door and where to flush, etc. It's comical to see a new aircraft already looking unprofessional...
Wait. So you think this entire story is a made up? It's some conspiracy?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
That Explains the Tape!

Originally Posted by wlau
...Speaking of which, Delta didn't spend the money to pay for multilingual signage for the cabin, so the crew put up some duck tape with handwritten Chinese explain how to open the restroom door and where to flush, etc. It's comical to see a new aircraft already looking unprofessional...
I flew LAX-PVG in regular coach last week, and though the tape meant one of the two lavs was out of service. The tape switched to the other lav midway through the flight. Good thing I did not have an emergency!

To top it off, the IFE in the entire plane was broken in a weird way. Pick any movie, and the actual movie that queued up would always be a random selection, not the one you want. Good thing I like Japanese and Korean movies, because that's what I got instead of the latest Mission Impossible. Wonder if I should write in a complaint?

Even more funny, picking a Disney cartoon would get you something violent like a gangster movie.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I flew LAX-PVG in regular coach last week, and though the tape meant one of the two lavs was out of service. The tape switched to the other lav midway through the flight. Good thing I did not have an emergency!

To top it off, the IFE in the entire plane was broken in a weird way. Pick any movie, and the actual movie that queued up would always be a random selection, not the one you want. Good thing I like Japanese and Korean movies, because that's what I got instead of the latest Mission Impossible. Wonder if I should write in a complaint?

Even more funny, picking a Disney cartoon would get you something violent like a gangster movie.
Those handwritten tapes are Chinese in words like "push" for the door... "flush" for the toilet and "this is not garbage" for the toilet seat liner, etc... Kind of funny. Looks very unprofessional. I am so tempted to print something nice and replace those ugly handwriting...but not, don't want to get in trouble for the possible good deed.

Yes, IFE issue. I had that multiple times on A350, which is very surprising for such a new plane and new IFE.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Wait. So you think this entire story is a made up? It's some conspiracy?
I am not sure if I would go that far... but that tail served the DL89 flight that I was on, from LAX to PVG and it was delayed for about 2 hrs due to mechanical. The next morning, that tail was supposed to go to DTW and that's the flight that had the abort. Take off and landing of DL89 was very very bumpy, and it's not how A350 or LAX/PVG normally feel like, so I suspected some issues and was really afraid it could blew a tire or something...
13 Nov 2018Shanghai (PVG)Detroit (DTW) DL582-11:40 AM-12:12 PMCanceled
11 Nov 2018Los Angeles (LAX)Shanghai (PVG) DL8913:0112:11 PM2:47 PM6:35 PMLanded 7:48 PM
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Been flying about 15 years (mostly UA until now but I'm status-matching over to DL) ... I've had a handful of aborts usually due to weather (low clouds or winds). However, had one very unusual situation several years ago - a "double go-around". Was coming into ORD on a UA 767 and listening to ATC on Ch 9 so I heard the whole story live. We were lined up on 27L and our pilot had been told to slow down while on final for spacing. Apparently he didn't slow down enough as we were given go-around instructions about the time we crossed the threshold. Ok, nothing too unusual (yet). We circled back around and over Lake Michigan, lined up again, and amazingly the SAME thing happened again. We were told to go around again due to spacing about the time we were coming over the runway. So went around again and the third time was a charm - although we did end up landing on 27R, which is another 20 minute drive back to the terminal.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
+1

Had first aborted landing here in LA returning from New Orleans in Nov 2016. Not a big deal, but what was interesting to me was how quickly everyone turned on their phones and started filming everything in the cabin during the Go-Around. TMZ and the like must be paying pretty good these days for images and footage of possible and perceived near catastrophes.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Hepsaint
TMZ and the like must be paying pretty good these days for images and footage of possible and perceived near catastrophes.
I would think the opposite. With the supply of such images, for any given event, increasing exponentially, the market price for them should be pretty low.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Had 2 missed approaches on the same flight in to RIC a month or so ago... have had numerous MAs over the years but that was my first for 2 on the same flight... low ceiling in RIC was the culprit.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Two Delta Flights almost collide at JFK one was about to take off

https://abc7ny.com/travel/investigat...t-jfk/5842157/

JAMAICA, Queens (WABC) -- An investigation is underway at JFK Airport after two planes nearly collided on the runway.

The FAA said the incident happened when Delta flight 300 had just landed and was taxiing to the gate on Saturday.

In the meantime, Delta flight 253 was starting to take off when Delta flight 300 started to cross onto the same runway -- blocking the path.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.