Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Defection from Alaska to Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by TXguy
What those complaining about poor service are not telling you is that DL blocks seats so that in F you never have a random stranger sitting 1 foot away. That’s better service during the pandemic than a soda, in my opinion. Others disagree.
It is a tradeoff, but after a number of trips this spring and summer I can personally tell you that flying has been so much more comfortable and enjoyable with the seat next to you empty. For the past 20 years or so food on Delta has been very hit or miss, even on the international flights (this was not the case in the 80s and 90s, when onboard food used to run from very good to great). If I want to eat, I'll go to Trader Joe's and buy snacks for the flight. About the only thing missing right now that would increase my enjoyment is the PDB in F (and I can make my own provisions for this).

Delta has been operationally excellent all summer, with the exception of one incident at DTW where one of the rampers drove the baggage conveyor belt vehicle into the side of the CRJ900 fuselage, denting it and requiring the pilots to scrub the flight.
Kacee, TXguy and ryw like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ND76
Delta has been operationally excellent all summer, with the exception of one incident at DTW where one of the rampers drove the baggage conveyor belt vehicle into the side of the CRJ900 fuselage, denting it and requiring the pilots to scrub the flight.
In fairness, when you’re running a fraction of your usual schedule it takes pretty significant levels of incompetence to be anything but operationally excellent.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by ND76

Okay this isn't funny but... this has happened to me TWICE in the last two years at DTW; once on Christmas Eve. This exact same thing. The ground crew at DTW is...questionable (they've also messed up things like misaligning the aircraft when it parks; that's been at least 5 times in the last few years)...
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
When AS announces they are going revenue based to line up with OW, I will be coming over to DAL as well.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: DL DM
I live in ANC too, same as the OP. Here’s my two cents:

Agreed right now DL is best if you plan to buy Y tickets. For F tickets, AS is the way to go. (See the existing thread on the pathetic DL inflight service right now due to COVID).

During the slowest part of the winter, DL flights drop to 2x daily SEA, and 5x weekly MSP. For the “majority” of the year, service is 3x daily SEA and 1x daily MSP. During the “peak” summer months, service is 6-7x daily SEA, 2-3x daily MSP, 1x daily ATL, and 5x weekly SLC.

Connection times have been challenging both pre and post COVID. Usually there is a 1 AM flight to SEA that arrives around 5 AM. That’s usually my “go-to” flight. It will allow you to connect to cities both on the west coast and East coast. The 6 AM departure, arriving around 10 AM, is a good option for west coast connections, but can be challenging if you are traveling to a smaller airport on the East coast or southeast requiring a double connect. There is a usually a 1 PM or 3 PM departure that will work well for connecting to an overnight red eye out of SEA.

The MSP flight is usually around a 10 PM departure, arriving 6 AM. This is also a great option for East coast connections. However this flight is usually considerably more expensive. Especially in F.

While I haven’t flown international since COVID, the ANC flights don’t typically line up well to Asian connections. The 6 AM usually gets me to SEA with not much time to spare in the event of a delay. The 1 AM creates a long 5-6 hour connection, as does the MSP route, sometimes creating pushback on through-checking baggage. The same applies for return flights. It seems I would always have a 6+ hour connection on the return waiting for an ANC flight.

The flights typically are very medallion heavy. I’ve scored upgrades more Frequently on them since COVID due to the lack of business travel. As a Platinum, I average about 50% pre-COVID, 75% post-COVID.

For work travel my company typically books me on AS due to the sheer number of flights (my destination is usually just SEA). I use DL for all of my leisure travel as I’m originally from Florida where DL is much more prevalent than AS. I typically fly there and to Asia and utilize DL/KE for that.

Hope this helps!
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and williwaw like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AinA
I’m curious about a few things... first off, considering my home state, I’ve been an AS flyer for decades due to the sheer number of flights ANC:SEA.

Now that I’m not traveling for business & I have no hope of status, Delta is looking better & better considering there will be international leisure travel.

Delta has much better prices on paid first for the routes I fly.

Currently I have trips planned for October, November & December (hoping to cancel the November trip!!). Normal travel will be 4-5 trips Outside & 1 international.

What is the current (covid) service in First btwn AK & the Lower 48?

I’m curious about the Sky Club. It appears paid First gets club access? Does it get Partner club access too? Particularly during these times of covid? Is there a participating partner in ANC?

Since I’m not terribly wide but I am taller than normal, if there’s not a SkyClub lounge in ANC, what’s the low down on premium class vs First (for the flights headed South)? I’m assuming more legroom & if they’re blocking the middle seat that seems like a nice option.. how much worse is the service?

I’ve tried to find the answer but their website wasn’t clear to me & a search here didn’t help.

Appreciate the help & I apologize for being too much of a Luddite to figure it out in a search.

Also... if there are any other tips please feel free to offer them!
When you are not flying on other peoples money, price is a major consideration. That and schedule issues relating to individual travel preferences aside, I would definitely stick with Alaska. It seems to be easier to reach top elite status. And Alaska's distance based ff program would be a plus for me. After Alaska joins Oneworld the benefits of using Alaska miles for international first class will expand. You can't use Skymiles for international first class or have access to Skyteam first class lounges. Alaska to tier elites will have access to Oneworld first class lounges even when flying coach. If I didn't live on the East Coast I'd transfer my flying to Alaska.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by salsa
When you are not flying on other peoples money, price is a major consideration. That and schedule issues relating to individual travel preferences aside, I would definitely stick with Alaska. It seems to be easier to reach top elite status. And Alaska's distance based ff program would be a plus for me. After Alaska joins Oneworld the benefits of using Alaska miles for international first class will expand. You can't use Skymiles for international first class or have access to Skyteam first class lounges. Alaska to tier elites will have access to Oneworld first class lounges even when flying coach. If I didn't live on the East Coast I'd transfer my flying to Alaska.
HUH? OP apparently won't be a top tier AS elite, so the comment about having access to FC lounges based on status won't work.

There's nothing to prevent a DL FFer of any level from accessing a SkyTeam (partner) FC lounge when traveling on an IFC ticket, for example with AF, KE, etc. Sometimes it's possible to buy a fairly cheap upgrade that includes the better lounge.

What is true is that DL RDMs cannot be used to get *award* tickets on SkyTeam partner IFC products.

However, I've been confused about the OP's claim that he/she can't get any elite status: one international trip plus 4-5 paid domestic FC trips annually should be enough for FO on DL and GM some years due to rollover. I would have assumed that the same travel pattern would suffice for AS's lowest tier (and certainly any 10K junior elite tier that's being discussed as a rumor in the AS forum).
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If considering DL, the AMEX Plat, which gives free SC access when flying DL, is a great option. I've enjoyed flying DL recently and would give them more business if they were a better option ex-SFO.

OTOH, AS Mileage Plan absolutely blows doors on SkyPesos.
What those complaining about poor service are not telling you is that DL blocks seats so that in F you never have a random stranger sitting 1 foot away. That’s better service during the pandemic than a soda, in my opinion. Others disagree.
Originally Posted by cmd320
So does AS.
AS will book the cabin beyond its published guidelines. DL will not.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is this on all flights or flights with special circumstances?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If considering DL, the AMEX Plat, which gives free SC access when flying DL, is a great option. I've enjoyed flying DL recently and would give them more business if they were a better option ex-SFO.

AMEX Plat (the regular unaffiliated charge card, not the DL AMEX credit card) also gives a PP "select" membership (that doesn't include all PP lounges) plus access to some AmEx lounges (Centurion, Escape, etc.) even when not flying DL. IIRC it used to include AS lounges when flying AS, but often overcrowding (capacity limits) meant that we weren't admitted anyway.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
At this point in time, yes - BUT:

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
When AS announces they are going revenue based to line up with OW, I will be coming over to DAL as well.
This.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320
Is this on all flights or flights with special circumstances?
The circumstances need not be particularly special. If you've flown AS with any frequency the last few months, you've undoubtedly heard the announcement at the gate several times that "we will be seating passengers next to strangers, if you are uncomfortable please come see us and we will do our best to reaccommodate you."
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or, you could become a free agent and book what's best for you under the circumstances.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Or, you could become a free agent and book what's best for you under the circumstances.
Honestly if OP is primarily booking F fares anyway this is the best option. IMO the prime value of loyalty is if you’re restricted to booking Y and want free upgrades. Otherwise it’s pretty meh.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:12 pm

What those complaining about poor service are not telling you is that DL blocks seats so that in F you never have a random stranger sitting 1 foot away.
It should be noted DL has not extended FC blocking past October, only economy. I would not use this as a determining factor for any trips further out than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.