Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its what we do!
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
I learned a long time ago never to rely on upgrades. Went hand in hand with the decision to end being loyal to a single airline/alliance.

However on behalf of anyone who isn’t a DM, I’m outraged by this policy. Absolutely ridiculous to be upgrading non-status companions ahead of PM, GM, and FOs.
Agreed. This is a big slap in the face.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Its what we do!
We're editing and de-bugging it for DL for free.....and we know more about the details of DL's FF program than DL employees do.
rylan likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
I agree with earlier posters that it’s important to note whether this policy changes only the clearance window or also the priority.

I have travelled several times with Mrs. tardyturtle on separate PNRs for several reasons (different return dates, not wanting to fill out company paperwork when she joins me for a trip, her flight is getting reimbursed by a different entity than mine). In all of those cases, she was placed below other elites (not sure if above award tickets or below all silvers in general—but either way significantly below me). Usually in those cases what happened was Mrs. tardyturtle got my seat and I sat in back. Companions on separate PNRs are not eligible for Comfort+, which has always baffled me. Fortunately, I have had gate agents give me pity and seat me in C+ when this happens

Last edited by tardyturtle; Sep 1, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat
For domestic Delta One and First Class, your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear at the clearing time of the Medallion Member’s Tier. For example, if a Platinum Medallion Member and a General Member are traveling together, both will clear at the Platinum window.

For Delta Comfort+, General SkyMiles Members are not eligible for Complimentary Upgrades. The Medallion Member will clear for their upgrade at their respective window
The new language is up on the Delta site, and I have to say, it makes absolutely no sense to prioritise companions without any status over those with status of their own, but that seems to be the plan
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It does seem like the companion must be at least a "General Member" i.e. must have a SkyMiles number on the reservation, so there isn't a "leave off your number and submit for credit afterward" loophole.

Regardless, add me to the list of people that are confused by Medallion+General clearing higher than Medallion+Lower Medallion (like, I understand how it works, but not why they chose to do it this way)
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
I used this benefit tonight for an upgrade on a flight this Saturday. I do wonder if it has to do with Covid-19 related seat blocking. If I travel alone my upgrade requires two first class seats under the current blocking scheme. When a companion travels with me she may upgrade into the previously blocked empty seat next to me. Makes sense to streamline companion upgrades as a goodwill gesture since the seat would otherwise be empty. They may reverse the decision after the blocking ends.
BenA and ekozie like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BNAChairman
I used this benefit tonight for an upgrade on a flight this Saturday. I do wonder if it has to do with Covid-19 related seat blocking. If I travel alone my upgrade requires two first class seats under the current blocking scheme. When a companion travels with me she may upgrade into the previously blocked empty seat next to me. Makes sense to streamline companion upgrades as a goodwill gesture since the seat would otherwise be empty. They may reverse the decision after the blocking ends.
THIS is plausible. Delta could be doing it to pack F cabins fuller than 50% by upgrading more pairs of people, so they can sell more seats in economy.

At least now we know what they're getting out of this change. It devalues the F value proposition, but we were already going to be there as soon as they started selling it over 50% anyway...
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:12 am

This introduces all kinds of shena at the gate for who is the prettiest girl waiting for the flight. I really hope she doesn’t have any DL status. If she doesn’t even have a SM number I’ll apply for one on the spot for her and then we’ll tell the gate agent she is my coworker.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Sep 2, 2020 at 10:15 am
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So will there be pax posting to sell 'PNR links' for upgrades on Ebay now?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I really don’t understand why everyone is so up in arms over this decision. DL has always had a policy that you can link a companion traveling on the same route on a separate PNR for a comp UG, but they were last in UG priority. Now DL is making it like they are on the same reservation and the companion will have the same UG priority as the medallion member. It still seems strange that this only applies to non-status companions and C+ is not eligible, but I’d assume DL’s IT is limiting this. As far as someone trying to pull a “shena” with this new policy, it would be extremely unlikely they’d be able to pull it off as the companion pax will need to be on the same exact routing and flights as the medallion, so it would be hard to solicit.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
The "up in arms" is obviously not the ability to link and get upgrades for companions, but this part of it: (If) Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together [on separate but linked reservations], the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. That is exactly the situation my spouse will be in, seems crazy that her Silver status will clear after non-status.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Now DL is making it like they are on the same reservation and the companion will have the same UG priority as the medallion member.
This is precisely why. A non-status companion of a DM will be upgraded ahead of an actual PM. This basically devalues every status level other than DM and says non-status companions are of higher priority than actual elites.

In addition there's the anomaly of a DM with a PM companion (or similar) wherein that PM will be prioritized after a non-status companion who will basically inherit DM upgrade status.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I really don’t understand why everyone is so up in arms over this decision. DL has always had a policy that you can link a companion traveling on the same route on a separate PNR for a comp UG, but they were last in UG priority. Now DL is making it like they are on the same reservation and the companion will have the same UG priority as the medallion member. It still seems strange that this only applies to non-status companions and C+ is not eligible, but I’d assume DL’s IT is limiting this. As far as someone trying to pull a “shena” with this new policy, it would be extremely unlikely they’d be able to pull it off as the companion pax will need to be on the same exact routing and flights as the medallion, so it would be hard to solicit.
If I use a CB to gift my spouse Silver or Gold status they will be penalized in the upgrade order compared to having no status. This is ludicrous!
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, you're giving the person a sample of FC and keeping the elite happy. Some people might prefer to sit with a colleague from work but not a spouse when traveling.

Personally, I've always felt that *ALL* companion upgrades should be prioritized below all elite upgrades, including elites on award tickets. There should also be an option for the elite to decline an upgrade unless the companion is upgraded also that doesn't require one to simply decline the upgrade.

High priority spouse upgrades provide an incentive for one spouse to pursue status on one carrier and the other to try to get status on a different carrier/alliance.
Hard disagree on this. I realize that things may be different in the post-COVID world, but companion upgrades on leisure flights are really one of the few actual benefits Deltas offers to elites. Last year, I flew about 100 legs for business. I was C+ on maybe half of those at best (primarily gate upgrades) and in F for about 2 of them. Other than guaranteed to get an overhead bin slot as a Diamond (not guaranteed if you're only boarding SKY) and better IRROPS there isn't much value for most flights. At least on leisure flights with a different demand profile there is a chance at an upgrade and/or take advantage of benefits.

Now, as far as why the heck Delta is punishing statused folks in this model I don't understand. It's unfortunate because my partner makes Gold or Silver each year with their level of business / leisure travel so it does seem odd. I assume it's some sort of funky system issue that they won't bother fixing.
MCO Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.